MPC sequencing a 2nd sampler

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

MPC sequencing a 2nd sampler

Post by wiss » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:01 am

does anyone here use a 2nd sampler with thier older mpc. I have run into some issues where my sample times is longer than the allowed, or I am out of sample time way too fast....has anyone just sequenced other samples from a different machine into thier mpc?

I was looking at getting a Roland/Boss SP

I could do the SCSI upgrade but I still need to find the memory chip and I heard those are fairly rare these days?
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:32 am

thats why akai (and really everyone) made rack samplers.
youll want a rack over a boss probably. yamaha a3000's go for pretty cheap and are known for making nice desktop kit due to thier ease of use and will give you alot more mixing options then a boss.
blunted daydreaming

patapsco1

Post by patapsco1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:30 am

I've used an MPC 500 to sequence samples in an s2000 without any problems, just treat it like any other midi module.

plus321

Post by plus321 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:31 pm

Yes, I use the Mpc as a sequencer and drum sampler and use other samplers for other things (not related to drum/percussive/atonal sounds).

If you only have the need for more time, then perhaps you can upgrade your Mpc's memory. With 32 mb in the 3000 I have something like five minutes, which is quite a lot. Otherwise, just get another sampler.

The E-mu E64 is very cheap and much more flexible than the machines that you suggested.

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:55 am

I got a ASR-X at my parents place.sometime i would like to try to sequence it with my MPC1000 sometime.My ASR-X has got a rom installed with some sounds.For me the ASR-X sequencer is a pain to make long patterns or songs with.

fuckrapsputin

Post by fuckrapsputin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:05 am

i've just tried hooking the midi in from my roland sp404 to my 2000xl and no real dramas other than the way the mpc pads work with notes (i think this is the issue, I'm no expert) but the mpc's 16 pads don't necessarily relate to the same position of the 8-12 pads on the sp samplers. for example i have some shitty bass samples on pads 1-12 on bank B, yet on the mpc those bass samples are all over the shop, a couple here a couple there. I'm pretty sure you can tell the mpc to send different note messages from its pads i believe though.

so basically it works, but i don't need it so i haven't bothered setting it up properly.

I just tried it with my 303 with less favorable results, couldn't get the mpc to trigger any samples -- that said my 303 is pretty old and beat up, has a few screws loose.

Either way i'd recommend an sp404 over a 303 any day -- a couple more effects, better polyphony, 4 more pads, heaps more banks and a max of 1 gig compact flash rather than 64 meg smart media...
gear: Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:30 am

Hey wiss what kind of MPC are you using?

nick_emulated

Post by nick_emulated » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:08 pm

f**k wrote:i've just tried hooking the midi in from my roland sp404 to my 2000xl and no real dramas other than the way the mpc pads work with notes (i think this is the issue, I'm no expert) but the mpc's 16 pads don't necessarily relate to the same position of the 8-12 pads on the sp samplers. for example i have some shitty bass samples on pads 1-12 on bank B, yet on the mpc those bass samples are all over the shop, a couple here a couple there. I'm pretty sure you can tell the mpc to send different note messages from its pads i believe though.
so basically it works, but i don't need it so i haven't bothered setting it up properly.
yes this is the case....the mpc is defaulted really funky....my work around is a dummy pgm called "notes_ok" basically i went thru in program edit and started working my way up the pads from midi note number 35(a1 =35, a2 =36 and so on)....i saved the program w/o samples...so now when i load up the mpc, the first thing i do is load that program at least once to control different outboard stuff....once my command station arrives, ill probably use the mpc less and less to sequence my outboard synths/samplers and use the command station to do the more melodic stuff...and just use the mpc as intended as a kick a*s drum machine.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:21 pm

voltageHead wrote:Hey wiss what kind of MPC are you using?
mpc 60
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:14 pm

nick_emulated wrote:
f**k wrote:
yes this is the case....the mpc is defaulted really funky....my work around is a dummy pgm called "notes_ok" basically i went thru in program edit and started working my way up the pads from midi note number 35(a1 =35, a2 =36 and so on)....i saved the program w/o samples...so now when i load up the mpc, the first thing i do is load that program at least once to control different outboard stuff....once my command station arrives, ill probably use the mpc less and less to sequence my outboard synths/samplers and use the command station to do the more melodic stuff...and just use the mpc as intended as a kick a*s drum machine.
A little OT - I have an MPC1000 that I'm still trying to figure out and a Command Station which I love. I actually found that the MPC is my go-to box for melodic sequences and the Command Station is my main drum machine. Reason being: the MPC isn't tied to looped sequences so I can go all willy nilly with a couple of synths and do long, non-rhythmic sequences.

And the Command Station is my main drum machine because is so quick and easy compared to the MPC: fast boot up, no loading of programs (I don't care which version you have, the drums are going to be great) and you can go from MPC style live sequencing to XOX style immediately. I'll actually slave the Command Station to the MPC along with a synth and the SP-404 for really obtuse noise jams that no one but myself would actually appreciate.

I'd love to hear your experiences once you're set up.

Back topic: yeah, once you've sorted it out, a second sampler with the MPC, especially an older MPC, really opens things up.

Laters,
Tommy

PS - Yeah, I know I have way too much equipment...