emax or eps?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
nick_emulated

emax or eps?

Post by nick_emulated » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:19 pm

which is the better choice for an inexpensive 12bit job? please dont say s900/950...had one and didnt like it...honestly id like a prophet2002 or asr-10 to complement my e64 and mpc, but both of those boxes seem to be going for silly money right now for whatever reason(im a register monkey at a gas station, so i gotta keep my gear buys reasonable)

also, was there a rack version of the eps? i think ive seen eps16+ in rackmount, but what about the original?

-nick

plexicube

Post by plexicube » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:16 am

It really depends on what your priorities are for sampling. The EPS is a great machine with lots of modulation capabilities, but no resonant filter. Its strength definitely lie in its programmability and its ability to load new samples while playing (if you plan on using the sampler for live use.) The Emax, OTOH, has a *great* filter, but is fairly slow to load new patches. Its mod routings are also far less extensive (I think it has but one LFO per voice.)
Musicist and programmator.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:13 pm

I'd say go for the eps - though I'v no experience of the emax, but anyway the eps is just so easy to use and turns simple sound sources quickly into lovely low-fi sounds. Its very playable and the sounds seem to fit well in songs because of their organic emotional quality.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)