akai s-5000 or e-mu esi-4000?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:11 pm

hi, after some research for getting a sampler around here... well i found both, a esi-4000 for 100$ and a s-5000 for 250$... i think i' going to try them both, but i also think that i'll have a hard time with the esi-4000 at worst i'll just resell it without much lost.

i'll keep you updated with these!!
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

nick_emulated

Post by nick_emulated » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:37 pm

novielo wrote:
nick_emulated wrote:
hageir wrote: I read that the ESI series has some impossible to decrypt file standard.. (or maybe it was the A series, nah it was the ESI)
so transfer back+forth is nearly impossible or something? :?
not at all, you can transfer back and forth to esi/eos with soundforge, recycle, zero-x beat creator, chicken systems translator, and a few other programs w/ no problems, as long as you have scsi connectivity...other wise, u can still transfer back and forth if u have chicken systems translator, and to a limited degree with cd-xtract....also any eos series w/ os4 or higher can natively read/write to fat formatted disc's(hard and floppy)...and also import/export to wav.
when you say with scsi connectivity... can i use a scsi to usb cable?? because i'm using a laptop for recording
checkout www.emusonacid.co.uk they should have the answers on which scsi to usb cables work...if you're running PC you'll have to install adaptec's ASPI layer as well.

novielo
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff

Post by novielo » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:49 pm

hey, i've received both of the samplers. the e-mu esi-4000 naked but 128m ram, and the akai s5000 with 256m ram and a hdd of 34GB. i will buy the scsi card reader thing www.scsiforsamplers.com . with it i'll be able to transfer from the pc to the s5000 wav file and use it as a hdd for the esi-4000.

i haven't had time to realy try them so far. my first impression is that both are realy interresting sampler but the interface of the s5000 is simply amazing!
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

novielo

Post by novielo » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:33 pm

hi all, after some experiment i got an issue with the esi-4000.

let me explain first how everthing is wired up
-from the usb midi interface the out is plugged into the in of the alesis sr-16
-the out of the sr-16 is plugged into the in of the esi-4000
-the thru of the esi-400 is plugged into the in

when i plug to the headphone of the sr-16 i can hear the midi clock going on but if i unplugged the thru of the esi-4000 i hear nothing.
i've tried the exact same wiring with the akai s-5000 and with the akai that midi clock noise doesn't happen.

does anyone have ever had such problems with that?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:56 am

It's an issue with the ESI4000, poor internal grounding causes leakage of MIDI signals. It's possible to wire up your system to avoid it, standard stuff for avoiding ground loops, but it's hassle. The easiest workaround is to use the S/Pdif outputs, your guaranteed no noise that way, assuming you're using a computer for tracking.

novielo

Post by novielo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:51 pm

well, after playing with both for a month i've choose to only keep the s5000. it's just way easier to use then the esi-4000. there's also much more options with it.

if anyone is interrested in the esi-4000 it's going for 90$ +shipping, i would also consider trades.

thank you all for your help on this thread