Artist/Genre

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Artist/Genre

Post by thestreets » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:04 pm

I think is more for people who use samplers in Hip Hop.

Is there a particular artist or even genre that you always like to sample? I tend to sample from all genres but in terms of people, I love using Mozart. He has some absolutly stellar choir arrangements, amongst other things.

How bout you guys?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:05 pm

I sample from what I listen to... which could be any genre. basically, I'll be listening to a song and hear something I know I have to use... I'll make note of it. generally something that is solo from the rest of the sounds in a record... I don't really sample from busy mixes.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:09 pm

I sample from what I listen to... which could be any genre. basically, I'll be listening to a song and hear something I know I have to use... I'll make note of it. generally something that is solo from the rest of the sounds in a record... I don't really sample from busy mixes.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:01 pm

I generally sample from older material. Lots of great spoken word, self help, records from the 50's. It's interesting how people got their information from records back in the day. For instance I got an outstanding record from the 50's about how to teach yourself ESP and how to read minds. wow! awesome! Another great record for samples from the early 60's I got was a sexual education record. As far as music though I tend to gravitate toward ethnic music like recordings of brazilian tribes or ancient instruments of india, etc.
I also like sampling from my roots/dub/dancehall/reggae collection.

mama.

Post by mama. » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:29 am

i like to sample the sax solos out of 80s smoothrock hits into my own songs.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:17 am

I just micro sample anything that has drums playing by themselves at some point
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

ehasting

Post by ehasting » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:01 pm

i like to sample my synhts, and layer them on the emu using the emu filters, i also sample drum sound.. either form singleshot from my pc.. just to get them through the A/D Converter.. and sometime i resample my drumloop for further chopping... and other time voices, phrases and stuff i need..

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:06 am

I like to sample one shot sample and human beatbox stuff or choir/processed vocal.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:04 am

Once one can get rid of the ideas that

- samplers are only useful for certain musical genres
- samplers may be useful for everyone else but you
- samplers should only sample sounds synthesizers can't recreate
- samplers should only sample "dry" sounds

things start to look better. They're amazing tools - even without all the filters and modulations - to free up synths with. They'll enable you to use synthesizers for percussion - in a more serious and useful way.

http://www.theheartcore.com/music/reresample.mp3 - from chord to stuttering loop to reverb tail of that.

http://www.theheartcore.com/music/olivesound.mp3 < another reverb tail, compare to (notice the sound in the start of the track? )
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:48 am

Yoozer wrote:- samplers should only sample "dry" sounds
talking about this and resampling, I'm having so much fun resampling the rs7000 internal sound using it's fx, filters and stuff. would it be a short sample, loops, re-mixed loops, tweaked life sounds or simply downsampling it.
Yoozer wrote:to free up synths with.
this is so true, specially when working alone with things like the rs. it free up the fx like haven, also the resampling would allow to record the realtime change as audio since the seq won't record the master fx realtime change. Also it could free up some tracks too in some apps. as for the synth, when using unison in the loop, it would free up more voices. Did I mentioned, that a kit made up of a bunch of resampled sound fx, would free up tracks like crazy? :wink: it's very effective compared to doing a lot of program changes or not to mention, a dedicated track/part for each fx (hmm, effected differently).
Yoozer wrote:They'll enable you to use synthesizers for percussion - in a more serious and useful way.
this is where the loops sampler very useful to me.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:00 pm

PitchBender wrote:I generally sample from older material. Lots of great spoken word, self help, records from the 50's. It's interesting how people got their information from records back in the day. For instance I got an outstanding record from the 50's about how to teach yourself ESP and how to read minds. wow! awesome! Another great record for samples from the early 60's I got was a sexual education record. As far as music though I tend to gravitate toward ethnic music like recordings of brazilian tribes or ancient instruments of india, etc.
I also like sampling from my roots/dub/dancehall/reggae collection.

Yeah i have a Jane Fonda workout record from the 60's. It's great, I've taken so much spoken stuff from it.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:04 pm

some other great stuff is the old medical records that doctors used back in the day

'here we have an example of aspiration by an individual with long latin term'
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:53 pm

Haha yeah all that weird educational stuff is great. Whenever I put spoken word in my stuff, people who don't know alot about music (ie. my parents) are always just like "wtf" when they hear it.

Spike Vincent
Location: People's Republic of The Forest of Dean,and why isn't there a Welsh flag option?Eh?

Post by Spike Vincent » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:47 pm

tallowwaters wrote:some other great stuff is the old medical records that doctors used back in the day

'here we have an example of aspiration by an individual with long latin term'

Where can I get stuff like that?

I'm currently sampling Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan.It's my Cold War project.
Currently plugged in to the mixer :
Korg EA1,Korg MS10 and some shortwave radios.

thestreets

Post by thestreets » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:11 pm

It's tough to find all that weird stuff. It doesn't necessarily have to be from a record, keep that in mind. I've found that a spoken record like that will just pop up out of nowhere, so keep your eyes peeled.