Casio FZ1

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
ralphred1965
Gear: Akai AX73, Akai X7000, Casio FZ1, Roland JX-3P, Roland TR-505 and finally Yamaha RX-11

Casio FZ1

Post by ralphred1965 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:57 pm

I considered the Casio FZ1 to be a bit of a problem child, so much so I was planning to get rid of it; my wife bought it for me as a wedding anniversary present, but the back light had expired and the value slider was worn out. These were sorted but then an IC gave up the ghost and needed replacing. Sadly all this took four months to fix, I finally collected it from my repair guy back in march all repaired.

At first I couldn't really tune in to it, it's user interface was not that great, it was in my humble opinion not that user friendly; you have to flick through menu's, then sub menu's. It's not a linear process like the Akai AX73 or Roland JX-3P, but However after a couple of weeks, I have mastered the interface and I've pulled some interesting sounds out of it, they are not in the same league as the sounds I have pulled from my AX73 but they're not too bad.

I haven't really tried the sampling functions on the FZ1 as I prefer my Akai X7000 'cos it's a lot easier to use...
Given the the universe is infinite and that god is also infinite, would you like a cheese and ham toasty?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:18 pm

This would obviously belong in the Samplers forum...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:34 am

The FZ-1 has been the centre of my studio setup for 15 years now. I bought it 2nd hand back then, and I found it was pretty good. I found it surprisingly easy to use, and it was only after a week of solid sampling that I needed to consult the manual - and that was on how to do multi stage looping in a sample!

I have an Akai S700 (the rack version of the X7000) also but as a sampler the FZ is much more sophisticated. I must say though that the S700 makes a great drum machine sampler if you can get hold of its memory expansion board (ASK-70) because it adds an extra 10 samples and it remembers the samples when you switch it off! The Akai is really quick to do samples on, I agree, but when you can only do 1 second individual samples on it (at high quality setting), compared to the Casio's 14 seconds (28 with the memory expansion) you soon start using the FZ more and more. Especially then for editing the samples.

I find it especially good even just as a master keyboard because the keys are very quiet - no clicking noises when you're sequencing quietly at 2am in the morning. And they feel smooth to play. It's also a really good multitimbral unit with lots of MIDI flexibility, velocity layering, multisplits etc.

The backlight is the FZ's enemy. It has been the cause of many unsolvable problems in the machine. Here is a tip for all you FZ1/10/20M owners finding random problems (also applies to the VZ-1/10M - same backlight):

I discovered that the backlight will slowly get dimmer over about a year and then go faulty, causing the FZ to glitch characters on the screen and corrupt samples at first, then as the backlight gets worse, to crash and reboot, and then finally locking up with a high pitched squeal. All this happens intermittently, so you could take it to a repair place and switch it on and it behaves perfectly, then you get it home again and it plays up. I finally discovered the source of the problem when one time it locked up squealing permanently. I unplugged it from my amplifier but it was still squealing even with no audio! I then listened and found the squealing was coming from the display itself.

The solution?

1. Replace the backlight. It will of course gradually dim and die again over time and you will have to replace it again. Make sure you buy a handful of backlights for the future if you do replace it.

2. Remove the backlight altogether. If you do this, like I did, you have to remove a transistor and a tiny transformer that powers the backlight also, as well as the backlight itself. When the backlight dies it goes open circuit, and causes this power circuit to go into oscillation - the squeal. So taking only the backlight out doesn't stop the squeal. Remove them all.

3. Put in a LED backlight! This is a permanent solution and will never cause trouble ever again. You can choose several colours and flavours, too, for that custom look!

The other problem with The FZ can be the floppy drive dying over time, as most floppy based gear will do. There is a floppy drive replacement guide on the Casiologue forums to fix this - Samsung floppy drives make a good replacement.

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:49 am

awesome tips graham. I am going to spruce up the stickies at the top of the page and add this in somehow.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:23 pm

I'v been using mine quite a bit lately - and had the backlight rteplaced when i got it - though I still hate craning my neck to squint into it. But that said its a joy to play and seems an easy to use sampler.

I think they're pretty amazing and thanks for the tips on keeping mine alive. Old hardware keyboard samplers are in my opinion the most useful of all the old stuff. We should struggle to keep them alive, coz we won't see the likes of them again!
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

ralphred1965
Gear: Akai AX73, Akai X7000, Casio FZ1, Roland JX-3P, Roland TR-505 and finally Yamaha RX-11

Post by ralphred1965 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Handy tip: When you turn the FZ1 on, press and hold the Display button whilst moving the value slider you can adjust the display so that you can see it better.
Given the the universe is infinite and that god is also infinite, would you like a cheese and ham toasty?

Arpnutt
Gear: Minimoog Voyager, Virus TI, M3, Radias, PC88, SD1, Mirage, ASR-10, TX81z, Alesis D4, Procussion, JV1010, Arturia V, Omnisphere, Odyssey, Solus, OB8

Post by Arpnutt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:38 pm

I used to have the FZ-10m. I got so many great results. For the time (late 80s) the display let me get some smooth loops for my samples. I also was able to get a lot of cool sounds using the additive synthesis as well. The floppy drive did eventually die.

tosss

Re: Casio FZ1

Post by tosss » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:57 pm

The floppy of my FZ10M is damaged. But I think in the year 2009 there is nobody who offers a new one.