Hooking up an MPC to an electronic drum kit?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
shadowshocker

Hooking up an MPC to an electronic drum kit?

Post by shadowshocker » Wed May 21, 2008 4:42 am

I'm thinking of getting an electronic drum kit, if I could hook it up to my MPC with good results. Does anyone here have any experience doing this? I haven't found much info on it, but heard there could be problems with it syncing up on time, possible a slight delay messing things up. So, how could I do this with good results? I don't really know much about midi, but I assume I would just connect the midi out of the drum module to the MPC and that would be it? Any help on this would be great, thanks.

ficusrock
Gear: Access Virus TI, NI Maschine

Hmm

Post by ficusrock » Wed May 21, 2008 4:51 am

I'm also interested to hear if anyone has experience doing this. I wanted to try it at one point, but didn't have the cash for all that gear, and now I'm MPC-less. I wouldn't imagine there would be any more delay than using a MIDI keyboard to trigger sounds.

Is your intention to capture recordings/jams in a recording setting, or to trigger samples from the MPC in a live setting?

shadowshocker

Re: Hmm

Post by shadowshocker » Wed May 21, 2008 5:49 am

ficusrock wrote:I'm also interested to hear if anyone has experience doing this. I wanted to try it at one point, but didn't have the cash for all that gear, and now I'm MPC-less. I wouldn't imagine there would be any more delay than using a MIDI keyboard to trigger sounds.

Is your intention to capture recordings/jams in a recording setting, or to trigger samples from the MPC in a live setting?
For now, just using it to get more creative with recording stuff. I don't really have too much experience playing drums, but I really like to be as much hands-on as I can get with my music, and figured using a drum kit rather than playing on the pads of the MPC or sequencing everything, would open up some interesting possibilities.

But, I could see it being used in a live situation too. It would be very interesting to do a whole set, triggering everything (bass lines, synth parts, drums, samples, etc.) all on one drum kit without anything else.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 21, 2008 6:35 am

shadowshocker wrote:I would just connect the midi out of the drum module to the MPC and that would be it?
Yes. On my old MPC (1000) you could change which midi note each pad responded to, so it would be pretty easy to set up everything. There would be no noticeable lag using midi at all.

shadowshocker

Post by shadowshocker » Wed May 21, 2008 11:01 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
shadowshocker wrote:I would just connect the midi out of the drum module to the MPC and that would be it?
Yes. On my old MPC (1000) you could change which midi note each pad responded to, so it would be pretty easy to set up everything. There would be no noticeable lag using midi at all.
Cool, now all I need is an electronic drum kit :D

Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf » Wed May 28, 2008 6:39 pm

I'm in the process of setting up a DrumKat EZ to trigger my MPC1000. It's pretty easy and works well. I haven't tried layering sounds yet or setting the hi-hat "chik" to cut off the hi-hat "open" sample.

Any decent drum module with a MIDI out should do it as well.