E-Mu EMAX O/S Question

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
translucencecs
Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

E-Mu EMAX O/S Question

Post by translucencecs » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:26 am

Ok - nothing too taxing for someone here I suspect... Don't know if it should be in "Samplers" or "Help", though..!

I'm just about to buy an E-Mu EMAX (basic keyboard, non-HD, first version, I believe) for £20. The thing is, the guy selling it genuinely knows nothing about it, and I'm not much wiser, as I'm only really au fait with the ESI series...

So my big question is: I'm aware that it has a 3.5" floppy drive built in, so will I need operating system or boot disks for it? I don't even know if the guy has any if I DO need them, but at least it pays to be forewarned!

If I do need these and he doesn't have them, does anyone here know where I could get some?

Cheers guys! :)

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Hello translucencecs,

The Emax (non HD) stores the OS on every disk and loads it in when you pop a disk in. If you turn the Emax on with no disk in it does nothing.

They're quite easy to get hold off but I have some disks that I could send you. :D

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:53 am

Hi there!

Ages since I don't come around here!

You will need the OS disk always. Os is stored together with the programs /samples on DD (Not HD) disks.

I had the same problem as you, and after 5 hours researching the net, Finally I could manage the answer I was looking for.

You can download a software called EMXP which will allow you to record and read EMAX exclusive disks. (Probably you will need to install an add called OMNIFLOP which will allow your computer for handling the Diskette drive in an old way).

EMXP is very intuitive so you won't have any problem (DOS old school style soft).
Just rest to find the right OS for your emax which would be emax 3.2 (search at www.emulatorarchive.com).

Look for DD disks (maybe HD with one of the holes covered could work) and format it, then, load the OS and insert the disk when the emax is ON (or off, it will boot up as soon as you switch it on).

It is a great price for one of those. Go for it and don't have any problem because if it is in working condition, it will work.

DX
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

translucencecs
Gear: In a transitional phase, so only:
Yamaha SY-22
Roland MC-09
Roland M-VS1
Zoom ST-224
Dubreq Stylophone
Fostex MR8

Post by translucencecs » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks guys - useful info!

I've just bought it, and it came with one floppy... I haven't experimented further but I think this means I can format more disks, so I reckon I'm sorted out!

Thanks DX especially - although I think I'm ok for disks now, those utils look to be very useful to have around! 8)

soundsubs

Post by soundsubs » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:59 pm

I just picked up a Baldwin version (Emax underneath) and im looking for disks for it now (yes, i tried HD and it didnt work)

I found OS3.2. Does every Emax allow this latest OS and upgrade?

Also, i want to get it scsi'd (its upgradeable, yay!) where can i find the kit or chips?

thanks

---shane
doepfer modular, moog rme, cwejman s1 mk2, virus TI Polar, nord modular+G2, kurzweil K2500xs + RS, e-mu proteus 2000, alesis andromeda, dave smith prophet 08 rack, arp avatar, octave cat, emax, speck xtramix

plus321

Post by plus321 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:01 pm

Check here for details on adding scsi.

http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Archives ... xscsi.html

If you don't have the chips, then good luck finding them. You will have to source them from a dead emax that has them (if you find another source then post it up because I want them also).

DX

Post by DX » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:59 am

plus321 wrote:Check here for details on adding scsi.

http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Archives ... xscsi.html

If you don't have the chips, then good luck finding them. You will have to source them from a dead emax that has them (if you find another source then post it up because I want them also).
If some of you find a dead emax and don't need the other digital board chips, please let me now, so I will bring to life one of my two emaxes :)

I will pay with a spanish "pata negra" jam
Roland Promars, E-mu EMAX and some other machines...

soundsubs

Post by soundsubs » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:22 pm

man i love the sound of this sampler! drums, loops, pianos!
i cant wait to get some emax sounds downloaded... the yahoogroups membership is still pending. argh!

does anyone have a spare EMAX case (just the outside plastic shell)?
the baldwin one doesnt have the listings on it and its painful.

-----shane
doepfer modular, moog rme, cwejman s1 mk2, virus TI Polar, nord modular+G2, kurzweil K2500xs + RS, e-mu proteus 2000, alesis andromeda, dave smith prophet 08 rack, arp avatar, octave cat, emax, speck xtramix