MPC/looping pedal?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

MPC/looping pedal?

Post by nvining » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:07 am

In a fit of madness, I went out and got an MPC 2000. Been having fun with it, too. However, it doesn't do something that I want to do and I need to figure out how to do this. Hoping somebody here has some good ideas.

Here's the deal: I have a Fender Rhodes and a Clavinet. I would like to be able to set up drum patterns on the MPC, and then to be able to loop Rhodes chords over them. I had hoped that the MPC could do this; however, it seems that you can't sample while playing. You can record MIDI, but that doesn't help me with the Rhodes and the Clavinet.

So what's the magical piece of gear that will let me sample, overdub, turn bits and bobs on and off, and has a midi clock sync that is compatible with the MPC? I've heard that the Boss RC-50, sadly, doesn't actually work all that well. There's gotta be something out there that will do it!
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:28 am

Ableton Live or, if you want something small and hardware, the Eventide Time Factor. The Eventide will give you some awesome delays as well.

The Electrix Repeater has midi sync too IIRC. We have an RC-20 which works well, but doesn't have midi sync. You can get pretty close once you get the hang of the tap tempo though.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:12 am

google: looping pedal, phrase sampler,
musiciansfriend: looping pedal, phrase sampler
ask.com: looping pedal, phrase sampler

if you took the time to learn your mpc, you would know that you could do this(sorta). you can sample yourself. sequence it to the beat, and string it all along in song mode. Then you could play over the sequence in real time with your other boards.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

Post by nvining » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:24 am

wiss wrote:google: looping pedal, phrase sampler,

if you took the time to learn your mpc, you would know that you could do this(sorta). you can sample yourself. sequence it to the beat, and string it all along in song mode. Then you could play over the sequence in real time with your other boards.
Already did Google/MF/Ask. That's how I know that the BOSS RC-50 has issues. The Eventide looks promising, though.

I also already did try using it with the MPC. The issue is this: improvisation. I want to set up a drum beat, keep it playing, play non-MIDIed instruments until I figure out what I want, then sample it and loop it in sync with the MPC clock while the drum beat is currently playing. On the MPC 2000 there's no way to sample a non-MIDI keyboard without stopping the current sequence. Hence the problem - that's useless for a live setting.
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:23 am

nvining wrote:
wiss wrote:google: looping pedal, phrase sampler,

Already did Google/MF/Ask. That's how I know that the BOSS RC-50 has issues. The Eventide looks promising, though.

I also already did try using it with the MPC. The issue is this: improvisation. I want to set up a drum beat, keep it playing, play non-MIDIed instruments until I figure out what I want, then sample it and loop it in sync with the MPC clock while the drum beat is currently playing. On the MPC 2000 there's no way to sample a non-MIDI keyboard without stopping the current sequence. Hence the problem - that's useless for a live setting.
is this for live purpose or jamming in your bedroom...

do have any means of recording yourself....just have the beat going and keep playing over and over and over it. When you are done just go back and listen to what you like and disliked and figure that part out...then plan out your "improve"

if your improving how do you know when to hit the "capture" function on the "looper"?

I would suggest contacting space6oy, he is looking for a great on the fly looper.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:37 am

wiss wrote:if your improving how do you know when to hit the "capture" function on the "looper"?
When you're improvising you just record loop after loop, if you don't like it you hit the undo button, if you do you keep it. You should be always recording.

nvining

Post by nvining » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:16 am

is this for live purpose or jamming in your bedroom...
Live.
do have any means of recording yourself....just have the beat going and keep playing over and over and over it. When you are done just go back and listen to what you like and disliked and figure that part out...then plan out your "improve"

if your improving how do you know when to hit the "capture" function on the "looper"?
I have one of those cheapass little Alesis mixerthings that also plugs into a laptop with Audacity on it. Not really suitable for live performance but interesting for capturing what you're doing. And yeah, listening to yourself is always important.

As for improvising: it usually becomes self-evident when you hit a groove or a pattern that ought to be looped. My background is mainly in jazz; I'm just looking for a way to change that up by trying to work with Horrible Technology. This all came out of watching Mark de Clive-Lowe a couple of years ago, who does all this with an MPC-3000. He loops the baselines (on the MPC via a Korg MS2000) and comps/solos on either a Rhodes, Clav, or acoustic piano depending on his taste; I don't think he loops the Rhodes. I don't have a Korg MS2000 so the question is how do I get more out of what I do bring to gigs?

lethosomn

Post by lethosomn » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:59 pm

I have a ms2000 (among others) and am looking for an alternative to the boss rc pedals mainly because id like to loop in stereo.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:31 pm

I've got the Boss DD-6, it has a looping function, it's very nice.

If you don't want to spend money on the RC Loop Station you can pick up a DD-6, it's very similar, if you don't like it, then you've got a kick-a*s delay :)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: MPC/looping pedal?

Post by space6oy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:38 pm

nvining wrote:I've heard that the Boss RC-50, sadly, doesn't actually work all that well. There's gotta be something out there that will do it!
what problems have you heard about? i don't use mine much but haven't had any issues with it, either just using it live w/ my guitar rig or slaving it to drum machines. it would've been my first suggestion, though the other thing i use more often is my electrix repeater. there have been a few of those on ebay lately, though people are asking a lot for them since electrix went under.