A tale of two S-612s...

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

A tale of two S-612s...

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:53 pm

I picked up another one of these recently ($50 with disk drive and the good man delivers it to my door, how do you like that?!)

Anyways, I finally got it setup, and just noticed something interesting-the "Ext trigger" jack is actually labeled "Rec trigger" on the new one... It also seems to act differently to the other jack...like, I stick a jack in, and it automatically starts recording (hence record trigger.. duh) I imagine a footswitch would work better in this scenario...

Anyone else come across this version? I've never seen another one with the "rec" trigger jack... The serial on the "rec" version actually appears to be later..

I'm not sure which function is more useful... but it's funny they produced models with both functions... strange they didn't just combine it to make it a dual purpose jack.

I've tried running them side by side to see if there is any noticeable sound differences... so far nothing conclusive, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was.
Do you even post on vse bro?

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:54 pm

The S-612 has to be by far my most favorate 12 bit sampler of all time. It imparts warth to everything you sample into it. Combined with the AX-60, it becomes a digital oscillator for the AX-60.

Sometimes I use the S-612 to sample first, then I sample the S-612 into the S-950 since its so much colder in comparison.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:38 pm

Architecture wrote:The S-612 has to be by far my most favorate 12 bit sampler of all time. It imparts warth to everything you sample into it. Combined with the AX-60, it becomes a digital oscillator for the AX-60.

Sometimes I use the S-612 to sample first, then I sample the S-612 into the S-950 since its so much colder in comparison.
And that answers his question how?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:09 pm

Well I dont have my S612 with me at the moment so I wouldn't be able to see for myself, I think I have version 1.3 or at least one of the later versions, which doesn't have the Cassette interface like some of the units.

I think mine is Ext Trigger on the back of the unit but im not sure either.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:32 pm

correct me if i'm wrong but while waiting for my s612 i came across the manual. and the foot switch is used as you said to trigger recording. in the manual it says that when the circuit is open it records.

i think that what's happen when you plug that cable, you opened the circuit.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:02 am

novielo wrote:correct me if i'm wrong but while waiting for my s612 i came across the manual. and the foot switch is used as you said to trigger recording. in the manual it says that when the circuit is open it records.

i think that what's happen when you plug that cable, you opened the circuit.
yeah, you're right... it's just curious that they used this jack to "record" on some models, and "trigger" on all the rest, and there's no mention of it online.
Do you even post on vse bro?

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:01 pm

got to agree thou. rec seems an ambiguous term 'cause you can record without using it...

can't wait to get mine, it should be on the doorstep today.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

urgetoplay

Re: A tale of two S-612s...

Post by urgetoplay » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Mr. Ruff,
I will check out my S612 later this weekend. I'm still waiting to purchase the cable that runs between the AX60 and the sampler; I think Architecture supplied the info last time but that was several years ago and I'm wondering if it's still valid.
Also, you're more than welcome to drop by the new studio and check it out for yourself 8)
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.