Sampler Info...

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
basssdude34
Gear: Bass; Rickenbacker 4003
Guitar; Hagstrom F200/Breedlove
Synths/Keyboard; Microkorg, Roland SH-201, Yamaha YPG-625
Band: The Blur of Serenity

Sampler Info...

Post by basssdude34 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:16 am

Im looking at a Roland SP-404 to buy, and I was wondering if there were any samplers out there that are better for maybe a little less money...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:38 am

No, absolutely none are better. :lol:

I guess my opinions will seem a little bit biased, but it is according to what kind of sampler you are wanting.

If you want to go the early/mid 90s rack samplers, they can be had for under 100 dollars often times. The cheaper ones wont have the wacky fx the 404 has (you have to go up to the Yamaha a4000/5000 or E-mu EOS range for that) but the E-mu ESI range has nice digital filters.

The big caveat to these machines is the SCSI c**p you have to deal with. Zip drives, CD drives, and irritating compatability issues. We have a sticky thread in the Samplers forum to give you an idea. With the 404 you just dump in on the CF card.

If you are wanting to play chromatic samples across the scale, the 404 is not the way to go. I find it excellent for beats, one shots, and various textures and even sampling whole songs for live use though. Tons of people would swear by the Akai MPC range for this, but I have little experience with those machines, and they would probably be more expensive. You also have the Yamaha SU machines, which look fun.

Have a look around the various threads in the Samplers forum here. There is a wealth of knowledge that can be had just be reading various bits and bobs.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

basssdude34
Gear: Bass; Rickenbacker 4003
Guitar; Hagstrom F200/Breedlove
Synths/Keyboard; Microkorg, Roland SH-201, Yamaha YPG-625
Band: The Blur of Serenity

Post by basssdude34 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:43 am

alright cool thanks..