The morality of sampling movie SFX

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
xibalba

Re: The morality of sampling movie SFX

Post by xibalba » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:08 pm

Sample whatever the fk you want! :)

and i think some sound effects maybe copyrighted, i remember listening to Return of the New & Improved (2 skinnee j's 1995) the old version of 718 they had the snowspeeder and laser fx from starwars on it. Then when they released Supermercado (1998) the newer version of 718 had those sound fxs replaced with imitations of it.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:12 pm

Curious why the "morality" of sampling SFX would be any different than that of sampling music.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:35 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Curious why the "morality" of sampling SFX would be any different than that of sampling music.
Exactly, the legality is definitely the same.
xibalba wrote:and i think some sound effects maybe copyrighted
Yes the sound recordings containing those effects are copyrighted. You must pay a licensing fee for the "mechanical rights" to use those sound effects recordings, just as you would if you sampled a musical recording.

However, you can not copyright a sound effect itself and demand fees or royalties for songwriting credit, aka "publishing rights" (incidentally, usually significantly less money than "mechanical rights", hence the common practice of recording "sound-alikes" of popular songs, rather than paying to license the original recording), as you would when someone records a cover version of a song you've written. Someone can create an identical sound effect, even using identical methods, and as long it's his own creation and recording, the creator of the original effect which inspired it can have no claim of ownership or copyright.

The exception here is trademark. If a certain sound, which is short of being an actual song/musical composition and thus not covered by copyright, is intrinsically linked to a company and its brand identity the company may trademark the sound (classic example being the NBC chimes). Trademarks are more difficult and costlier to obtain than are copyrights, so it's a safe bet that your average sound effect is not trademarked and that you are free to attempt to replicate it and use the results as you wish.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

redroomrecordings
Gear: Virus TI . Virus C . Blofeld . Maschine
Band: Distorted Memory / CAKEBUILDER

Post by redroomrecordings » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:05 pm

i used to sample sound fx from movies like it was going out of style. my first album had tons of sampled drones and soundscapes. i'm not doing it much anymore but thats mostly due to a lack of time to sit through dvds and capture audio. i really see nothing wrong with it as long as you end up doing something creative with it, i also dont think it should be unrecognizable, i think using a recognizable audio sample in an interesting way is super awesome and i always get excited when i hear someone do it well.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:26 pm

I don't see anything bad on it.

It also depends on the context you put that sound, and how much do you change it.

Lots of great and very creative and innovative artists have taken sounds from these sources.

Most of the DVD and blu ray movies I buy, I buy them for that simple reason: to sample sounds from them.

On clockwork orange, when Alex get caught by his old friends when they became police, they take him to a pile of water at the country and torture him. There's a cool SFX sound each time they hit them, I sampled it...

Same history for very old and also new movies.

I take the sound that I want to take, from any source known, period.

Lately, I have been sampling sounds from my PS3 games, using the optical output and a SP 808ex.

I normally have a sampler ALWAYS turned on while I'm at home, and got it connected to the TV and the DVD.

Always hunting sounds
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:51 am

The times that I have sampled the sound is stretched, pitched, loop pointed and modified to sound different. Whenever I've used longer samples it's usually just some sketch or practice track. If I really liked what I heard I would recreate it.
JSRockit wrote:I don't know about that... so much good hip-hop (and music in general) was made from known samples.
Yeah but from "Movie SFX?" Making an entire track from a lazer sound does sound badass though.
Syn303 wrote:I know Pete Namlook sampled an entire 50 minutes of the disney movie "The Black Hole" (See: Namlook VII),
but he did mangle it a lot to a certain degree to get round the copyright infringement i guess!
I didn't know that was from disney. I just looked at the sleeve to confirm it was the same record(It was in between Debbie Gibson and Herbie Hancock). I remember sampling something from it ages ago. Great sounds from that and other space records. For a dollar you can never go wrong.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:14 pm

RobotHeroes wrote:
JSRockit wrote:I don't know about that... so much good hip-hop (and music in general) was made from known samples.
Yeah but from "Movie SFX?" Making an entire track from a lazer sound does sound badass though.
Well, I've heard people use planet of the apes stuff... not really effects, but then again, not really music all the time either (despite being played with typical instruments).
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad