Other 8-bit samplers?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Other 8-bit samplers?

Post by JSRockit » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:06 pm

My Jomox 888 converts samples to 8 bit I believe.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

HQ. 17

Post by HQ. 17 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:18 am

Yep the Jomox stuff is 8-bit. The samples in my Airbase sound gritty and punchy, I like it.

Hopefully picking up a Mirage soon, i'll let you know how it goes.

Here's a couple of classic Techno related Mirage demos:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3T1bmvRBc ... re=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0S3MizD39fk

If you liked those then check out the guy's vid based on the "Inner City" chord stab. He's also done some on the Yamaha CS70M.

http://uk.youtube.com/user/meastempo

scope4live

Post by scope4live » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:40 am

You will like the Mirage, it's a classic.
Make sure the SG Gibson Distorted Guitar FDD comes w/ it. MWhl feedback is perfectly crossfaded.
I converted it to EOS,Oberheim DPX and Gigastudio.
I still use it in GVI w/ the Oberheim Echoplex in reverse live.
I have many libraries of Guitar samples, but Ensoniq's 8bit is perfect for certain emulations.
The Roland Jupiter Brass Stab FDD is also grunge City, and I am an analog synth lover. :mrgreen:
Jimmy V.

Scope DSP cards x 6
Lexicon PCM81/PCM91
Studio Electronics Synths
Creamware ASB B4000 w/ Pro3t Rotary

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:09 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
synthesizerist wrote:hippy punks.
Isn't that the same thing as a "crust punk"?
From Wikipedia

Crust punk is a DIY-oriented branch of punk fashion. A large part of the crust punk aesthetic revolves around not bathing, and allowing a layer of crust to form on the skin. Denim jackets, hooded sweatshirts with sewn-on patches, or vests covered in studs, spikes and band or patches are characteristic element of crust punk fashion.[11] Baseball caps covered in patches are also common. Dental floss is frequently used to sew fabric together, owing to its durability and ease of use. Pants tend to be bondage pants, work pants, Carhartt pants and overalls, or skin tight jeans many over these often covered in patches. Bum flaps displaying political slogans or band names are also common. Bullet belts are also often seen on crust punks. Footwear tends to be either combat boots or second-hand shoes, typically beat-up Converse Chuck Taylor's. Mohawks and liberty spikes dyed bright colors (often seen on street punks) are uncommon; crusties prefer dreadlocks (along with its variant, the dread-hawk).[16] Large numbers of piercings and tattoos are also common. Crust punks are associated with road protests, beggars, squatters, street entertainers, poor hygiene and the young homeless. The broader "crusty" subculture has been linked to New Age travellers.[16]
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:55 pm

well I knew what a crust punk was... But I had never heard of a hippy punk.
Do you even post on vse bro?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:39 pm

I wasn't quite sure what they where myself, hence why I looked it up. I need to stop now before I derail the thread.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:12 am

I'm sure crust punks appreciate the "grittiness" of 8-bit samplers! har...
Do you even post on vse bro?

Escobar

Post by Escobar » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:51 pm

One thing that people forget is all samplers for the 80's home computers like Atari, and Amiga.
Most of them where 8-bit samplers like GVP DSS8+. You could graphically edit your samples and change the samplerate with push of a button. You can do stereo or mono samples with them.
Roland MKS-70 | Roland SuperJX | Roland S-770 | Roland S-50 | Roland MC-500 | Roland TR-505 | Emulator III rack | Emulator II+HD | Emax HD rack | Emax Kb | Prophet 2002 | Yamaha TQ-5

Frayo
Gear: An assortment of about 45 synths/samplers/drum machines from 1978-1990.....and a Blofeld and an Ultranova.

Post by Frayo » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:40 pm

Escobar wrote:One thing that people forget is all samplers for the 80's home computers like Atari, and Amiga.
Most of them where 8-bit samplers like GVP DSS8+. You could graphically edit your samples and change the samplerate with push of a button. You can do stereo or mono samples with them.
This merits investigation. Does the sampling come with the computer or will this require a crazy epic quest for some obscure piece of hardware?
Sir Ruff wrote:
Frayo wrote: There's nothing wrong the DSS, in fact it's in great (HEAVY, HUGE) condition. The filter on that poor thing is a joke at most, though.
Ohh.. careful! I think most people seem to LOVE the dw8000/dss filter... I've heard people claim it's the best filter korg ever did. That would be the only reason the buy the DSS in most people's minds I think... maybe it depends on what you put into it.
Hmm. Interesting. Maybe I haven't mastered it yet. But that machine can really tear some sounds to pieces. I can take something and make it completely unrecognizable. The fact that the whole sample library is readily available online is awesome. The resource site has some really awesome sounds. I've only had it a few weeks.

Escobar

Post by Escobar » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:20 pm

Frayo wrote:This merits investigation. Does the sampling come with the computer or will this require a crazy epic quest for some obscure piece of hardware?
To give you a short and clear answer, you can find an Amiga computer on ebay or on one of the sites that still sells them. Here's a link (or two):

http://www.softhut.com/cgi-bin/test/Web ... 7704_68518

http://www.amigakit.com/

If you want an Amiga I would recommend you to buy the Amiga 1200 because of the faster processor and there are accelerator cards for them still avalible.

A curiosity thing about Amiga:
Comparing the technical specs of Amiga with Emulator II they do have "similar performance" (I know I'm sticking out here but take it with grain of salt :D ), both can sample with 8-bit resolution and replay the sound with 14-bit resolution if the software is programmed for it. BUT, Amiga has only four (4) channels as output for the audio in stereo, and only one analog filter shared between the four channels. So if you change the analog lowpass filter it affects all four channels simultaniously. You can also disconnect it if you don't want to use it.
Roland MKS-70 | Roland SuperJX | Roland S-770 | Roland S-50 | Roland MC-500 | Roland TR-505 | Emulator III rack | Emulator II+HD | Emax HD rack | Emax Kb | Prophet 2002 | Yamaha TQ-5

KennethA

Post by KennethA » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:49 pm

I think you'll be happy with the Mirage too - great 8 bit sampler that's payable.

I have a Emulator and an Emulator II (among other samplers) and none of them are 'true' 8 bit samplers as they both use different companding modes to try to make them sound better than 8 bits.

The Mirage is a true 8 bit linear sampler and will definetely give you true grittyness :-)

KennethA
12bit.com
Emax, Emax II, Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, EIIIXP, SP12 Turbo, SP1200, E6400, E6400 Ultra, Drumulator with Pad Programmer, PPG 360 Wavecomputer, PPG Wave 2, PPG Wave 2.3, PPG EVU, PPG PRK FD, PPG Waveterm B + a lot more.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:38 am

The Casio RZ-1 Drum Machine has an 8-Bit sampler :D
http://www.vintagesynth.com/casio/rz1.shtml
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:46 am

the RS7k and SU10 convert samples in multiple sampling rate withing khz, but sounds like it covers some 8 bit teritory. Also the lo-fi fx (master/insert) dirty things up very nicely.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Frayo
Gear: An assortment of about 45 synths/samplers/drum machines from 1978-1990.....and a Blofeld and an Ultranova.

Post by Frayo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:53 pm

hageir wrote:The Casio RZ-1 Drum Machine has an 8-Bit sampler :D
http://www.vintagesynth.com/casio/rz1.shtml

I own a Casio RZ-1 8) . Those little sample buttons are wonderful! They complement the low-fi drums and the machine gets along with my Yamaha RX-5. I wouldn't trade my little RZ-1 for anything at that price range. That little drum machine gets a lot of mileage with me.

Five

Post by Five » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:21 am

I've owned both the Emulator II and Mirage and I actually prefer the Mirage. It's a whole lot easier to find disks for, way cheaper, and way more portable. I also don't think the Mirage is that difficult to edit...you can find the parameter card sheet online and yer good to go :arrow: