Korg DSS-1: overkill?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Korg DSS-1: overkill?

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:41 pm

I'm currently rocking a pair of 612s, and eventually a sp-12... but the DSS-1 has always really intrigued me. The slow loading and saving has always really put me off, but I guess there's a way to load/save straight from pc. There are a couple on the 'bay right now-one buyer looks sketchy, but the dss-1 is cheap, the other is pricier but looks more reliable.

Given I am trying to get rid of an EPS at the moment because of it's complexity (it's not that bad, just more than I need), does the dss fall into that same editing category, or is it more traditional (like a synth) in the editing department? And would I actually use it (that's the main question!) :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

synthesizerist

Re: Korg DSS-1: overkill?

Post by synthesizerist » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:31 pm

The editing is synth-like and not terribly difficult. It is obviously the select the parameter and then change it type of synth, but it's got the cheat sheet screen-printed on there, which I always appreciate. But it's got plenty of things that aren't screenprinted on there that you will have to spend some time with if you want to explore all of the capabilities, and that manual is as monsterous as the synth. As for it not being reliable, I just read someone else allude to this in another thread and was wondering if there is something I don't know about, or if this is just the perception since it's an older synth? I did have to replace a disc drive, but that's the only issue I've ever had. It seems like a tank to me.

Out of curiosity, I checked ebay to see what you were talking about and I wouldn't touch that $100 with a 100 foot pole... Besides the sold as is nature of the auction, you'll have a lot more fun if you have some discs to get you started. It is true what this person says that there are free downloads online of discs (and lots of them), but only if you have an operating system on your computer of Windows 98 or earlier!

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:07 pm

Wow.. this is odd getting on here and seeing this. I stumbled onto the DSS-1 the other day when someone showed me a sound demo. I loved it, so I went looking for more and loved it even more. I was weary of that $100 dollar one even though it's closer. I just bought the pricier one and came on VSE to find this. :? Sorry about that.
Well fffff.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:32 pm

Man, dont you wish some company would make impulse samples of all the old samplers and combine all their cool features into a neat little desktop unit?

Old samplers are great and cheap, but take up so much f**k room. Are there any that weigh under 40lbs?

I miss my EmaxII
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:38 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Old samplers are great and cheap, but take up so much f**k room. Are there any that weigh under 40lbs?
Maybe just the rack units.. I too have noticed most old samplers are monsters. But they can be had for very cheap now compared to when they were released. Upside is the price, downside is how massive they are.
Well fffff.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:07 am

thanks for various comments/suggestions gents... I have head several emails with the $100 guy, and it sounds fine/legit, but I'm glad to hear others have the same reservations I do! What an awful photo! Having to source the OS sounds like enough of a headache that that one is not worth it.

H'heffa-no worries, my hesitation, your gain :D It was a little more than I wanted to spend in total with shipping, and I had a feeling someone might snatch it anyways, so it's not a big deal. You'll have to let us know how you get on with it tho!
Do you even post on vse bro?

Hossinfeffa

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:01 am

Sir Ruff wrote:H'heffa-no worries, my hesitation, your gain :D It was a little more than I wanted to spend in total with shipping, and I had a feeling someone might snatch it anyways, so it's not a big deal. You'll have to let us know how you get on with it tho!
When I compared prices it seemed pretty average, so I decided to hop on it. Originally I was going for the $100 one.. but after researching what would be needed to get it up to standards and how the photo looked, I passed on it. There's one demo song made with it on Youtube that captured me. Looked it up and it seems to be a real forgotten gem. The other day I even did a search for DSS-1 on these forums and nothing popped up.

I will let everyone know how it is; seems like real fun to play. :D
Well fffff.

synthesizerist

Post by synthesizerist » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:22 pm

Hossinfeffa, you're going to love it! Don't get too focused on the sampling- that's a major bonus but it's a wonderful synth even if it didn't have those capabilities. Honestly, I've never understood why these aren't worth more. I'm guessing they must've made a ton of them- that's the only explanation I can come up with. Because it's totally unique. Also, I'm sure my wife would be happy if I didn't feel this way, but there's something about standing behind a massive synth 8)

synthesizerist

Post by synthesizerist » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:29 pm

I do like seeing you can get one for $100 though! I figure if anything ever goes wrong, you could get a beater and have any replacement parts you'd want.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:11 pm

I have always wondered about said synth as well. Eventually my impulsive nature won over and I bought an Ensoniq Mirage instead.. Have there ever been any 80s keyboard samplers made with knobs? With a 20gb harddrive you could fit something close to 20,000 disks worth of samples. Something needs to be made with multiple bit depths, so you can go from crunch to glass. I agree Tallow that this is definitely something that has a market, maybe a really small one though.

Btw, the Mirage has got to be the smallest of the 80s samplers. Weighing less than 20 lbs.

Has anyone opened up an Emax? Just curious because it just looks so bulky, like there would be tons of dead space inside.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:09 am

Jabberwalky wrote:

Has anyone opened up an Emax? Just curious because it just looks so bulky, like there would be tons of dead space inside.
A few boards and lots of space. The weight comes from the metal case and those damned j wire keys. Lots of outputs too.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:26 am

Jabberwalky wrote:Have there ever been any 80s keyboard samplers made with knobs? With a 20gb harddrive you could fit something close to 20,000 disks worth of samples. Something needs to be made with multiple bit depths, so you can go from crunch to glass. I agree Tallow that this is definitely something that has a market, maybe a really small one though.
I've emailed DSI with suggestions on this in the past, and I'm still hopeful. I dearly wish that when they're done with the MoPho and LDII, and the P08 is sitting pretty and selling steadily, they'll make an Evolver II with some kind of sample playback capabilities to differentiate it from the analogue-only lines. Makes sense to me, I'd love a crunchy DSI sample/wavetable machine.

Hossinfeffa

Post by Hossinfeffa » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:30 am

synthesizerist wrote:Hossinfeffa, you're going to love it! Don't get too focused on the sampling- that's a major bonus but it's a wonderful synth even if it didn't have those capabilities. Honestly, I've never understood why these aren't worth more. I'm guessing they must've made a ton of them- that's the only explanation I can come up with. Because it's totally unique. Also, I'm sure my wife would be happy if I didn't feel this way, but there's something about standing behind a massive synth 8)
Maybe it's because of the long load times they have? I'm curious too.. but at least they're cheap for anyone who wants one! I am just playing the waiting game now until it gets here. Still trying to figure out where would be the best place to put it though. It will be the first hardware sampler I've ever had. But it also doesn't really come off as a sampler to me. More just like a powerful hybrid almost in the style of a D-50.
Well fffff.

Hossinfeffa

Post by Hossinfeffa » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:22 am

Little update:

I just received it today. Damn this thing is awesome. I've only played with various samples for the past hour, and I really like it. It has a really full and beautiful sound. Once I get acquainted with it more I'd like to make a short video of some of the sounds.

Playing a pipe organ sample on Halloween will be a blast now. ;)
Well fffff.

Hossinfeffa

Post by Hossinfeffa » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:36 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

:lol: I couldn't help but make a bad video out of this floppy.
Well fffff.