I have found my sampler

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
GeneralBigbag

I have found my sampler

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:00 am

I have a V-Synth, and I Get It.
This is exactly what I want to be able to do to sound with a sampler.
This is by way of saying that I was foolish to dance around this solution for as long as I did.
virb.com/ookpikk

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Re: I have found my sampler

Post by hageir » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:08 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:I have a V-Synth, and I Get It.
This is by way of saying that I was foolish to dance around this solution for as long as I did.
more info, demos! :)
(before+after please!)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:17 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:I have a V-Synth, and I Get It.
Yes, the V-Synth is totally awesome, it can do things no other sampler can.
Although its Variphrase technology is similar to NI's Kontakt, it is the realtime control that sets the V-Synth apart.
The controllers are mind-numbing!

I think softsamplers can certainly take care of conventional sampling tasks and indeed sound design, but the V-Synth is still a unique instrument.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:21 am

Ok - think of this
Take a sample and loop it, but modulate the sample length with an LFO which is reset with a key press. Instant bouncing ball sounds! And that's just the start.
When Tallow and Stab talk about how this is really a hardware granular synth, they're not kidding. The fact that you can take a sample and play it back at any speed w/o changing pitch amounts to infinite power.
virb.com/ookpikk

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:31 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:Ok - think of this
Take a sample and loop it, but modulate the sample length with an LFO which is reset with a key press. Instant bouncing ball sounds! And that's just the start.
When Tallow and Stab talk about how this is really a hardware granular synth, they're not kidding. The fact that you can take a sample and play it back at any speed w/o changing pitch amounts to infinite power.

wha-wha-what?
play back a sound at any speed..
demo? :)
can you put a LFO on the loop start/end points?
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:20 pm

Glad to hear you joined the club Dan.

I used to have a project full of Fizmo sounds (looped and chopped, ready for Osc use) online somewhere. Will look around for it.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:44 pm

welcome to the club. i feel like its the ideal synth/sampler.

and tallow, let me know if you find that project too?

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Not a pure V-Synth demo, but http://ookpikk.googlepages.com/Youtellm ... ntcool.mp3:

Kalimba V-Synth through Sherman and TM-1.
virb.com/ookpikk

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:00 pm

Every time I hear something about the V-synth XT I think "Upgrade to a Monomachine MKII who?" Please post a pure V-synth demo of something awesome it can do. :D
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:27 am

yeah, where the f**k are the badass Vsynth demos???

i'm hardly a thorough searcher, but from what i've seen the Vsynth sounds like a sampler crossed with a VL-1 strapped onto a JP8080 - which it most certainly is not.
Like.... every demo has some vocoding mixed with real-sounding intruments or a drum loop being tweaked. Big Whoop. Like I can't do that already one way or another using other gear.
So far nothing I've heard has convinced me that the Vsynth is anything more than a bizarre sampler w/ a JP8080 stuck in there, and a racy interface.
There has to be a reason you blokes are buying - but are you using it for anything that other gear can't do??

I want to hear the unique features in action, doing the s**t that ONLY the Vsynth can do.

Call me spoiled, i guess. But for the uninitiated it looks like a lot of malarky - which i suspect it is not.

aside - Anybody heard Shpongle? It sounds like they're possibly using a Vsynth or vp9000 the way loops and voices morph into the synths, but i just dunno.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:34 pm

shaft9000 wrote:yeah, where the f**k are the badass Vsynth demos???

i'm hardly a thorough searcher, but from what i've seen the Vsynth sounds like a sampler crossed with a VL-1 strapped onto a JP8080 - which it most certainly is not.
Like.... every demo has some vocoding mixed with real-sounding intruments or a drum loop being tweaked. Big Whoop. Like I can't do that already one way or another using other gear.
So far nothing I've heard has convinced me that the Vsynth is anything more than a bizarre sampler w/ a JP8080 stuck in there, and a racy interface.
There has to be a reason you blokes are buying - but are you using it for anything that other gear can't do??

I want to hear the unique features in action, doing the s**t that ONLY the Vsynth can do.

Call me spoiled, i guess. But for the uninitiated it looks like a lot of malarky - which i suspect it is not.

aside - Anybody heard Shpongle? It sounds like they're possibly using a Vsynth or vp9000 the way loops and voices morph into the synths, but i just dunno.

mail me your info and I will send you a CD.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

ehasting

Post by ehasting » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:26 pm

Ok.. so the demos are too bad to see the public light? :)

i agree.. any neat sound demos with v-synth only would do the tricks. i would love to get my hands on a v-synth if its actually as cool as they say.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:08 pm

The V-Synth demos do indeed suck.
When I have some time, I'll put some together.
virb.com/ookpikk

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:00 pm

shaft9000 wrote:aside - Anybody heard Shpongle? It sounds like they're possibly using a Vsynth or vp9000 the way loops and voices morph into the synths, but i just dunno.
Afaik, Simon Posford does indeed use a VP9000 quite extensively. Amon Tobin as well.
When it comes to the V-Synth, for me it is the whole package that makes it such an impressive and inspiring instrument. For instance, you can take a sample and "browse" through it using the Time Trip Pad; this often reveals many strange sounds, which in turn can be "locked" to form the basis of a new patch.
It is indeed possible to create similar sounds in other packages, but it's the hands-on control & interface that seals the deal for me. Those controllers are simply mindnumbing.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:34 pm

I'm a V synth freak by excellence.

One of my fav synths of all times.

One of these days, I made an inventory of how much samples I have for my V SYNTH.
Counted aproximately 17.500 samples stored on cds and already formated for my V synth.

Some people says that tghe V synth sucks, just for the latest Roland products. and It's known for its :terrible alliasing:

honestly, I heard that the quality of the sampled sounds, when goes farway from the sampled central note, is excellent comparing it with the sample pitch change of other instruments. Only Kurzweil can beat it.

And combining the sampled sounds with the VA ENGINE, gives you infinite and vast posibilities of sounds.

BEST thing of the V SYNTH: A deep and vast instrument, that have the best user interface ever.

How much instruments can give you so much posibilities in a way so easy to understand and manipulate>?

V synth is faw away from all the latest roland products. Totally apart.

One advice:

Get a SP 808 ex to combine it with the V synth. The SP 808ex does not have varyphrase or can edit samples as a rompler, but it has a effect section that kicks V synth's effects.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma