I have found my sampler

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
GeneralBigbag

Re: I have found my sampler

Post by GeneralBigbag » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:50 am

I was figuring on saving up for an Eventide next...I suspect V-Synth + Eventide would be unbelievable
virb.com/ookpikk

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:39 am

balma wrote:One advice:
Get a SP 808 ex to combine it with the V synth. The SP 808ex does not have varyphrase or can edit samples as a rompler, but it has a effect section that kicks V synth's effects.
Balma, do you know how the sp-808ex efx compare to those of the later sp-606?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:31 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:I was figuring on saving up for an Eventide next...I suspect V-Synth + Eventide would be unbelievable
Please don't tease me. :)

Track here (the second one, Ocean's Pulse) is just V-Synth, Eventide Timefactor and drums by Adrenalinn II. No samples though, all VA.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:02 pm

Hugo76 wrote:
balma wrote:One advice:
Get a SP 808 ex to combine it with the V synth. The SP 808ex does not have varyphrase or can edit samples as a rompler, but it has a effect section that kicks V synth's effects.
Balma, do you know how the sp-808ex efx compare to those of the later sp-606?

I know very well SP 808ex effect's section since I have two, but haven't put my hands yet on the SP 606. SO a can't make a comparison.

I know that SP 808 can use one effect at the time only, but there are lots of effects that include reverd/delay and chorus. Cool things of the SP808's effect section is:

Absolutely any parameter can be assigned to a controller.
One of these "controllers" is a 16step sequencer, very cool. Any parameter can be changed with the 16 last step sequencer.
Huge variety, lots of effects, 150 user locations to store the settings of the 150 preset effects.
It has mini VA inside with two oscillators (basic three types of OSC: saw, square, sine) small sequences can be done with the 16step seq, and one oscillator can be ringed to the audio input. So, here, a VA is included as an effect)
12 band vocoder.
Intereseting mic simulators.
Great distortions.
Beatiful, complex and very programmable delays. The delays is my favorite type of effect on the SP 808. They put so much care in this section. Programming delays on the SP 808 is something deep.

I don't know how to compare this with the SP 606

My SP 808 has optical board, V synth got it included, sometimes, I play patches on the Vsynth while sampling on the SP 808. I add SP effects and mangle these samples, and return them to the VSynth. Using an optical cable for these purposes decreases lost of sound quality.

On the Vsynth reorganize them, format them with the solo/ensemble functions, and create new patches.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:11 am

balma;
Thanks for the info. A friend of mine had the original 808 years ago, and at one point I came close to buying one myself. Sounds like a nice box.
One of the advantages the 606 has are two efx instead of the one in the 808. Plus it's smaller and has longer sample time. But I suspect the 808 is more advanced overall, and probably has better efx. I'll take a closer look at the manual one of these days.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:17 pm

bump for demos...

Bboy235

Post by Bboy235 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:26 pm

GeneralBigbag wrote:Ok - think of this
Take a sample and loop it, but modulate the sample length with an LFO which is reset with a key press. Instant bouncing ball sounds! And that's just the start.
When Tallow and Stab talk about how this is really a hardware granular synth, they're not kidding. The fact that you can take a sample and play it back at any speed w/o changing pitch amounts to infinite power.
Hey I know this is an ancient thread but recently got a V-synth I don't think what you say here is possible as far as I know loop length cannot be modulated , or am I missing something