Bought my first sampler(korg es-1)

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Bought my first sampler(korg es-1)

Post by killanator » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:40 am

bought a korg es-1 here the other day which will arrive sometime soon. just wanted to know if theres any tips or anything people should tell me(a newbie to sampling).

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Bought my first sampler(korg es-1)

Post by space6oy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:50 am

go ahead and get a USB drive if you want to be able to make / edit samples on your computer.

know that you can hold the shift button while selecting a sample if you don't want it to trigger the sound. drove me nuts at first.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:50 am

I had an ES-1 and regret selling it.

Get an XD/SMC adapter card and a 64MB XD card. Both are dirt cheap on eBay, and easier to find than Smart Media cards.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:02 am

Johnny Lenin wrote:I had an ES-1 and regret selling it.
yeah, i've tried an MPC500, an MPC1000, an S20 and an SP-555 and my ES-1 mkII tops them all, at least for me, because i'm a sucker for simple 16 step programming instead of real time programming. makes live editing so much friendlier and more easily organized. plus it has some awesome built in effects.

i actually wish elektron gear would save settings patch by patch like the electribes. it's nice that they're always automatically saving, but i totally prefer telling it what point to write & save & then load next time i want to start that sequence.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:07 am

Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:14 pm

space6oy wrote: yeah, i've tried an MPC500, an MPC1000, an S20 and an SP-555 and my ES-1 mkII tops them all
i believe it. i have an ESX now, and it's just not the same. yeah, it does some stuff a lot better, but the ES-1 felt faster, dirtier, better. and i firmly believe that the 32khz plus compression from the ES-1 helped it nestle into tracks much better than it's successor. the ESX is too dang bright and sizzly. rats, now i miss my ES-1 more than ever.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:36 pm

The manual says it will load 32k wav files but it will also load 44k wavs as well, I do it all the time. it will play them back slower and lower pitch but then you just tune them back up to normal pitch after loading them. It saves having to convert a good 44k sample you found on the net to 32k in an audo editing program and ruining it (they never sound right after converting - the highs get messed up unless its a really good program). It will use up more memory space than a 32k sample, though.

It will only take up to 64MB cards - I don't think it will recognise larger ones.

Join the Yahoo Electribes forum, there's lots of resources in the FILES section on the site. Some functions on the ES-1 are a bit cryptic at first, even after reading the manual, and those guys will help you out:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/electribe/

also the KORG forum:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/ ... 64a70c7b2d

I did an internal battery power mod for mine and wrote up instructions in the Yahoo forum for people. Makes it 100% portable. But if you do it take care to insulate parts because 2 people have fried theirs after shorting parts out on the metal casing back plate.

Cheers, graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:36 am

gmeredith wrote:I did an internal battery power mod for mine and wrote up instructions in the Yahoo forum for people. Makes it 100% portable.
very cool! as well as the electribe air concept :wink:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:57 pm

killanator wrote:... just wanted to know if theres any tips or anything people should tell me(a newbie to sampling).

sample everything. 8) get a flash/tape/minidisc recorder and a cheap condenser mic and record every sound you hear. make breakfast, walk around outside, argue with your neighbor, go to the mall etc... then cut up all those little interesting sounds into drum kits for the es1.

also, make use of the motion sequencing feature as often as possible.

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:36 pm

The es-1 is still my favorite sampler and probably the most used out of all my stuff.
"no one on Facebook is looking for anything except for a way to tell you how great their fat kids are."

killanator
Gear: Alesis Quadrasynth, Roland SH-201, Various MIDI things, Samson MediaONE 5a Active Studio Monitors
Band: Solo

Post by killanator » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:23 am

i have a 16mb SM card that came with it and actually is not working for me. look at my topic in the HELP! forum.

other then that this is really nice. im still using a pc in my setup for sequencing synthesizers, but i couldnt do any live with a pc because my cpu or soundcard or something sucks so it would always crackle coming out, and of course i wanted to have buttons to press and stuff. once this SM card issue is done frustrating me ill be fine. and i like the electribe so much im getting an ea-1 very soon so i will have 4 synths to perform with, which should be good enough to gig.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:00 am

Congratz!

The ES-1 was my first ever piece of gear... bought it brand spankin' new when I was 16.

Now you just have to start digging for some obscure vinyl records and make a hiphop album :wink:
Monkey business since 2007!

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:21 pm

It was my first piece of gear, too. I bought it when they first came out, along with a Roland MC-303. Sold both during college to pay for life. Which I now regret hugely, especially after reading this thread. In fact.. I'm hitting the bay right now..

Have fun with it, killinator!