Casio FZ1

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.

Re: Casio FZ1

Postby GlynH » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Going back many years I remember lounging around the Keyboard Shop in Shepherds Bush drooling over the gear and listening to various synths, keyboards & samplers.

Something that always stuck in my mind was a demo I had of the Casio FZ1 sampling keyboard and in particular a sample disk that was called or nicknamed 'The Dirty Disk' probably for no other reason as it contained such gems as a woman sighing/female orgasm type sound(!) and probably many other bodily samples that completely passed this impressionable 20-something year old guy by at the time.

Short of recording similar examples of my own (with full disclosure, signed model release form and sincere promise that it would not be available for public consumption) I wonder if this particular disc of samples might still be available from somewhere?

Not sure if it might have been locally put together for a crack or a commercial disc of sorts but failing this does anyone know not anything similar that might be available please?

Format not that important as I have Akai & Roland hardware samplers and Chicken Systems Translator hiding away on a computer somewhere so can probably load/convert to whatever I need.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
GlynH

Postby Baus » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:39 am

Hi GlynH,

There is a file floating around with the original FZ-1 library in it. It also contains a file with the contents of the extended library that came out with the FZ-10 and FZ-20M

Looking at the list your disk might be on FL-7 disk 5 ANIMALS or FL-8 disk 3 or 4 LIFE SOUNDS :lol:

More seriously I think it was a custom made disk. These days you can easily make those yourself since adult clips are freely available on the web. ;-)

Robin.

Baus

Postby abruzzi » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:45 pm

I think I've talked myself into wanting an FZ. Rack is a must, so the FZ-1 is out. I had two question:

- Is SCSI useful? I ask because a lot of older SCSI implementations have compatibility, size, format limitations. If it only works with strange ancient syquest disks, that's not particularly useful.

- since upgrades are rarely available, I usually try to find one already upgraded (still looking for an ISF for my mirage). Are there any upgrades for the 10m or 20m that I should look for? As much as I've been able to find is that there is a RAM upgrade for the 1, but the 10m and 20m came maxed. There was the SCSI upgrade, but the 20m came with that. Is that all?

Thanks.
abruzzi

Postby madtheory » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:01 pm

Yes that's all. And the SCSI is tested proven to work with SCSI2HD. I think the racks are very overpriced compared to the keyboard version. Yes you potentially get a faster load time with SCSI, and twice the RAM. But if like me you're using the FZ as a colour machine (that filter), and not as the primary do it all sound source (as we would have been twenty years ago), 2 Megs is sufficient. It is a bit annoying waiting for the Lotharek to load at floppy speeds but it's also kind of cute :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby abruzzi » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:10 pm

madtheory wrote:Yes that's all. And the SCSI is tested proven to work with SCSI2HD. I think the racks are very overpriced compared to the keyboard version. Yes you potentially get a faster load time with SCSI, and twice the RAM. But if like me you're using the FZ as a colour machine (that filter), and not as the primary do it all sound source (as we would have been twenty years ago), 2 Megs is sufficient. It is a bit annoying waiting for the Lotharek to load at floppy speeds but it's also kind of cute :)

I don't have space for any more keyboards, unless I find something with polyAT (hoping someday to find a cheap TS10), so I'll have to pay the rack tax. I did see a 20m sell for $200 on eBay a few months ago, but I hesitated and someone else bought it. $200 is about what I'd be willing to spend, so I'll keep my eyes out. Thanks.
abruzzi

Postby madtheory » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:12 am

Good luck in your quest :)
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.

Postby meatbingo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:37 pm

Good info on here :)

Recently picked up an FZ-10M in a local shop. Backlight slightly dim but good enough. Sadly the floppy drive doesn't seem to work. It spins and and makes noises like it's reading, but stays on DISK NOT READY for ages. The disks I'm trying are ones which were written to back in about 1998, so not sure if that might be part of the problem. I did briefly see the contents of one disk appear on the screen, which may signify some hope.

Anyone have any tips for reviving the floppy?

Eventually, I'll think about installing one of those floppy emulators, and perhaps borrow a friend's FZ-10M to transfer my disks via the serial port.
meatbingo

Postby madtheory » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:48 pm

I can give you a tip from my own experience- don't bother! I decided not to invest any energy in the dying floppy in mine, and acquired a USB floppy drive that could read DD disks and imaged them with the HxC floppy emulator, and replaced the drive with the HxC. Previously I've had issues with the floppy drives in a TX16W and a Mirage, and got nowhere. IMO they're a precision part that is very very difficult to repair, and there's a risk of damaging valuable disks.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Robber1956 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:17 am

I had some ideas about how to extend the lifetime of the EL Panel in my FZ1 which only lasts for 3000 hours but I didn't like the type of modding I had to do and rather had a long life led backlight like the one shown on the Yamaha forum uk:

http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =44&t=6860
http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/dow ... &mode=view

Or as explained by gmeredith here:

http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/i ... opic=694.0

Also wanted to get rid of EL Panels because when dying they may corrupt the samples when saving and of course there is the sudden failure of the outputs, the impossibility of data transfer through midi and the serial port plus the whining tone I never heard but must be horrible and God knows what it will do to my precious HxC Floppy emulator.

So here it is, The Final Solution! MScott/gmeredith did this already and now I tried the same, but not before I considered to go for the Cut-2-Size™ Backlighting Kit by:

http://www.lumitex.com/electronics-back ... ut-2-size/

Looks nice but is expensive and only one colour, white. Really would like to have a rgb panel so I can change colour any time.

Anyway, looking at my Apple I phone 4 I was wondering how thin the backlight inside would be. Now I didn't want to ruin my phone (but sometimes I really want to smash it because it doesn't function properly) so I went tot the repairshop round the corner and asked Mobile Phone Repairman if they had any idea how thick or thin the backlight would be and I explained what I needed the backlight for.
They understood what I was about to do so they gaven me a broken I phone that was beyond repair but with the backlight still working. It was just coincidence that it happened to be from an I phone 4 too.

Now I like to show some pics:

Just resized the backlight and reflector with a pair of scissors. The leds are attached to a thin, hard plastic surface on which the diffuser lays. The width of the backlight should be just under 49.0 mm, length preferably more than 8.0 cm so the leds will stick outside the frame. I don't know yet if this will fit inside the hull but I guess it will.

(9 volt battery ,3rd hand, alligator clips and needles).
The 9 volts are just enough for 3 leds (well, low battery, multimeter says 8.4 volt) , there are 6 in series so I need at least 18 volts :roll: I think. Anyway, the needles are straight onto the leds and if I try all of them from left to richt nothing happens with the 9 volts. Soldering on the very tiny connectors will become a very tidy job.

Oh yes, how thin is this backlight?

1.0 mm

In the frame:

with the reflector. Nice colour. Perhaps I will put a piece of theatric colour gel in between. Lee filter 104 or something.

Without reflector:

What would it look like with all leds working? I may have to put some extra resistors in as well. (the blue light is from the tape to hold the two parts of the frame together).
Now the difficult part is still to come. I have to disconnect the FZ1 and open the hood. Always a drag with this big and heavy machine.
The new display and PCB of course is still in the box. It's been there for months and i didn't open it yet . Inside the FZ where the display normally sits is nothing, a black hole. I hope that the "new" one is in a good condition, I have to be very careful and very concentrated. And where do I get the power from? There is a unused connector on the main board I think, but how many volts does it give? It's obvious that I haven't started yet.
As for my FZ10m, I will asap change the EL Panel for a cell phone backlight too. It would be nice if I can find one that fits in without cutting, perhaps Alibaba sells something which is useful. Only problem is there is a minimum order amount.

In the mean time, anybody who wants to change their dim, quickly fading, ugly, unreliable EL Panel for a led driven backlight, go for it. Don't wait untill the trouble starts with weird clicks in your samples or no sound coming from your FZ all of a sudden and don't throw away your old or broken cell phone.
I still have some unused EL Panels laying around, might use them for someting else or just put them in the bin.
Afaic, EL panels are history.

Last edited by Robber1956 on Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robber1956

Gear: Yamaha DX100,FB-01,TX81z,TX802,TX7, YS100
Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110
Fender Strat, Ampeg VT40
Atari MegaSTE, MegaST4, STe,STfm, MiST

Postby Robber1956 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:57 am

Allright, finished the Casio FZ10m:

With a (cheap old) camera everything looks different than with the naked eye but it's just to give an impression. First picture no color filter (Lee Filter):

Yellow: (101)

I keep the filter just in front of the display, it will look different when it's behind the LCD, characters will be more pronounced but not much.

Green:

Blue:(068)

Purple Haze: (126)

All in my eyes, useless.

vanity fair (793)

Pinkish, Reddish all no good.

turquoise(116)

just another green. Is okay.
(I may have some numbers wrong)

I prefer no color filter, see first pic. The display itself has lilac colored characters on a broken white background and is very bright but not to much. I used a 100 ohm resistor to play save.
it looks a bit like 'delfts blauw' :
https://tinyurl.com/kvyz59r

Backlight is from an IPhone 5s. Got 10 pcs for $10,20 by Alibaba (used 1 but the FZ1 is yet to be done, far more dangerous than difficult I'm afraid).
Cut to fit. 8 leds in 2 groups of 4 so no more than 12 volt is needed. The IPhone 4 which I wanted to use first has 6 leds and needs 18 volts or else you have to do some very tedious soldering.
12 volt is coming from the floppy drive power connector (multimeter says 12.3v). Because I have a HxC: http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=121, installed so no need for the 12 volt rail.
Disconnected plus ground leaving 5 volt plus ground for HxC.

This FZ10m is now forever

Last edited by Robber1956 on Sat May 06, 2017 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robber1956

Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110
Fender Strat, Ampeg VT40

Postby Robber1956 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:46 pm

Today I decided to put some color behind the display after all, just for the fun of it. With the FZ10m it's easy, you only have to remove the rack ears and unscrew 4 screws underneath the front panel (again, never detach the display from the PCB), get the board with the display out ( 4 little screws again) and slid the lee filter underneath the display above the backlight and then put everything back again.

I choose orange:

Robber1956

Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110
Fender Strat, Ampeg VT40

Postby Robber1956 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:36 am

Hello all of you,

be ready now for a very sad and frustrating story of which I feel a bit ashamed to tell you.

Today I was to finish a "project" as I called it to refurbish a really battered and busted FZ1 that I got from the US through Ebay that was extremely dirty, no working floppy drive with front panel broken off, no working tabs, rather a noisy but working keyboard and, most important of all a working display without a backlight. It also didn't have the memory expansion board the MB-10.

Looks as if it comes from a dungeon.

I managed to clean the FZ1, there were burn marks as from sigarets and joints (found a real Cannabis Sativa seed inside, good that the customs didn't see this :lol: ) or even fireworks or overheated electric short cut wire on the keys, control panel was unreadable and bend on the top left and out- and inside were the remains of sticky rubber foam all over from the golfbag where the FZ had been dragged around for the last 30 years or something.

Put in a new control panel with working tabs, both sides the plastic covers replaced, the rubber strip underneath the keyboard so it's playing smooth and noisless again.
Took me almost a week to clean and replace parts and I made progress without any real problems.

But then.....the display. Always the display. I had one laying around already for months, also from Ebay and the display from the "Chicago" one was working on the day I got the FZ delivered. Underneath was the voltage switch so going from 110ac in the US to 240ac here in the Netherlands was easy and though the display was covered with the rubber debris (even more than on the pic) I could see the display was fine.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I f****d them up both. I had to seperate the two pieces of the frame that were glued together to get the old EL panel out because this was also firmly glued to the bottom frame with two sided tape. I succeded at first but no mather how careful (and nervous) I was, I managed to touch the glas of the display just a little with the screwdriver I used to seperate the frame pieces, but at that moment still hoping for the best because I couldn't see any damage. So after cleaning and putting the FZ back together again I connected the display, powered up the FZ and...only one visible line saying "bank edit". :x

So then I tried the other one. Everything okay! Beautiful, but still had to put it in place.
Then when I powered up, a big black blob in the upper right corner appeared :evil:

It looks like a bloody sicknes which name I will not use.

I still don't know what happened. The display with the yellow Lee filtered Iphone 5s backlight is still readable, the blob doesn't grow and that is better than nothing but why the h*ll why did this happen? It wasn't there when I tested it!
That's how fragile this sh*t is.

I'm sick and tired now of this machine. Casio did everything wrong with it except for the sound and the VCF filter. Even de envelopes are a nuisance to work with. I wish now I never bought my first FZ1 way back in the eighty's because it was trouble from the start. First the floppy, then the backlight, so the envelopes, the weight, the price actually. Why glue that el-panel as if it had to stay there forever? Changing it was already hazardous. Within a year you had to change or else disconnect because of the problems that would arise if you left it inside unattended.

Okay, the yellow backlight with the blobbed display one is now in the same FZ which I got way back then and as shown it is readable. It had been without a display for a couple of years now and because I have HxC FE inside and also a FZ10m with HxC I could use it without a problem as a masterkeyboard and as a synth/sampler. Just edited everything on the FZ10m, put in on the SD card for the FZ1 and load full dump from the "play" mode. Easy to do without the display.

The "US" FZ1 with only 1MB is still disassembled but if I can get it to work it can do the same with a floppy emulator.

So, if there is somebody :roll: with a working display, a MB-10 memoryboard and a good floppy drive or else willing to put a HxC SD or USB (also Gotek, now almost write supported) floppy emulator inside.....contact me and perhaps we can make a deal.

Spare parts for this:

A little bending:

Getting rid of the burn marks by filing them away:

Still to be tested with HxC for loading samples, MIDI and audio output(s)
Robber1956

Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110
Fender Strat, Ampeg VT40

Postby Robber1956 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:38 pm

Robber1956

Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110
Fender Strat, Ampeg VT40

Postby gmeredith » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:57 am

I hate that when it happens. I bought a Casio FD-1 off ebay a while ago (FD-1 is the FZ-1 floppy drive built into a standalone case and is a MIDI data filer/MIDI file player). It was in perfect condition when it left the seller (a shop) and when it arrived home the package had been crushed in one place. I opened it and the screen looked like that. :evil: There was no packaging support in the box, the drive was just rattling around in there with no padding!

I got my money back, the worker in the shop got the sack. They said keep it. I still have the drive but I can't read the writing because of the black smudge :(
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Postby Robber1956 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Here another one:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aAwItPz-F_M/T ... E60_12.JPG

Hohner HS-1

This convinces me that even the display itself will finally die. Also for the FZ-10m and FZ-20m, which means that this instrument will be completely extinct in the near future.
Robber1956

Casio FZ1,FZ10m,MG500
Roland MT32,D110
Fender Strat, Ampeg VT40

PreviousNext

Return to Samplers