Dirtiest sampler?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Dirtiest sampler?

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:31 pm

I am about to sell my sp-12-I LOVE how it sounds, but i'm not really taking using it enough to justify keeping.

So anyways, I'm looking for something that is just dirty and rough. The more aliasing the better! Doesn't (and won't) have to sound like the SP, I just want something quick and easy to load stuff in, and then sequence it. Filters and envelopes don't really matter.

I already use the S-612 a lot-the simplicity and sound is good, but it's still not rough enough for ruff. No aliasing when you pitch really low.

I was thinking maybe the yamaha TW-..., or maybe even one of those Peavey SX samplers? I know with the latter's expansion unit, you can literally only load and play back one sample at a time.

Anyone use one of them, or have other cheap recommendations?
Do you even post on vse bro?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: Dirtiest sampler?

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:38 pm

Yamaha VSS30 with a midi kit
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:47 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Yamaha VSS30 with a midi kit
huh, hadn't though about that.. Tho to be honest, you're probably pushing the $100 mark there... I want cheap! :lol: but i'll keep my eyes open.

What about the earliest roland s-series samples? like an s-10, or whatever the rack unit was (s-100?)

ohmaha78
Gear: MKS30 w/ PG200, DSI PER, MoPho, Evolver, MS20, Poly61, Nord Modular G1, Akai S612 and much more.

Post by ohmaha78 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:34 am

Man you do want it RUFF!! My S612 makes my samples sound nice and dirty!!! If I want it really dirty I sample into my Akai S20 and resample internally down to 4kHz!!! And i got my S20 for $25 on craigslist not long ago in the original box with about 30 sample disks!!! :D

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:23 pm

ohmaha78 wrote:Man you do want it RUFF!! My S612 makes my samples sound nice and dirty!!! If I want it really dirty I sample into my Akai S20 and resample internally down to 4kHz!!! And i got my S20 for $25 on craigslist not long ago in the original box with about 30 sample disks!!! :D
It's funny you should say that-I just bought an s20 (non-tested of course :cry: ) for $50, and maybe if I could figure out if the damn thing worked, that would suffice. I didn't realize you could re-sample so low! But so far, I've tried a variety of power connectors with no luck. Does it take a special power supply?

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:28 pm

get the mpc 60 or s950

on the 60 you can compress sounds down even further than it's already dirty 12 bit.

plus it's got a great sequencer you can use for synths and it is the only instrument that is actually truly "built like a tank"

and you can always resell it for the price you paid.
for sale/trade: EML-101

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:59 pm

you can sample at 4 khz with the s612 as well, you just have to press c2 (36) prior to record. if i remember well you got more then one s612, you could resample between then.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:53 pm

The Yamaha TX16W gives lots of aliasing when you transpose, and they're much better value than the Yamaha VS or Casio SK with MIDI. I've never used an S612. The TX with Typhoon can do really c**p re sampling down to 4k, or maybe lower, I can't remember. When you resample back up again to 33k it makes everything sound like a Fairlight II.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:12 pm

Just bent a VSS30 with a 24 pt patch bay. f**k delicious. Press one key and out pops something that puts that whole winkly a*s 8 bit community to shame.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:28 pm

The dirtiest I've used, while being useful and not too low bit is the Jomox 888.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:57 am

Not what the OP wanted, but the Yamaha A5K can sample at low rates with the antialias filter turned off, and get all the digi-grunge you want.

cheers,
Ian

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:08 am

tallowwaters wrote:puts that whole winkly a*s 8 bit community to shame.
That's easy especially when they do such a good job of shaming themselves.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:14 am

Lots of good suggestions here! It's the crisp aliasing I want more than than just plain dirt (I could do that within any audio editor or the s612 if I wanted).

I think you mentioned the TX in a previous post Madtheory.... I'm kind of thinking that's what i want if I can find one for cheap (always seems to jump in price when I start looking!)

novielo-yeh, I have 2 612s: yer right you can sample right down to 4hz, but it does a damn good job of keep ANY aliasing in line even doing the whole speed up, slow down sampling thing. I've never tried bouncing back and forth-might be interesting to try just for the h**l of it.

A5k sounds cool if I ever see a cheap one... kind of veering into "complex" territory there though.

JS-I guess I didn't realize the jomox could sample? I think that would be too similar to the SP though in terms of a fully-fledged standalone unit that I wouldn't take full advantage of.. and from what I understand, the "analog" side doesn't sound analog enough for me.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:24 am

did you try boosting some frequencies while sampling then cutting them at the back to kind of make some artificialy? got that idea while reading this: http://www.sic.rma.ac.be/~xne/el401/aliasing/

ie: sampling at 4khz. boosting the 4000 hz range to get aliasing at 2000 hz. and at the play back you cut around the 4000 hz but you still have the aliasing at 2000hz. with the ability of the s612 to have a wide variety of sampling rate you could use the aliasing where you need it.

i know i'm hawfully complicated when i start stuff like this...
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:54 am

For analog sampling, the A5K (and A4K) can use the following rates: 44.1KHz, 22.05KHz, 11.025KHz, and 5.5125KHz. For the latter three rates, the antialias filter may be turned off.

For digital sampling, the A5K (and A4K) can use the following rates: ext, ext/2, ext/4, ext/8, which is full rate, half-rate, quarter-rate, and eighth-rate respectively. In all cases where the rate is other than full, the antialias filter will not be used.

The post-FX can also be used to generate all manner of sampling artifacts.

True, it is a modern (OK, nine years old) spin on things, but a good-souding spin, I think.

cheers,
Ian