Dirtiest sampler?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Re: Dirtiest sampler?

Post by Shreddie » Thu May 28, 2009 2:53 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Shreddie wrote:Not a sampler as such but the Atari ST with Mastersound II sampling software (and cartridge) is about the dirtiest, nastiest sampling I've ever heard. 8 bit with a good variety of rates between 3 and 30 KHz... Clock based transposition... No anti-aliasing.
that sounds great too, though given all the effort involved, probably not worth it... maybe if you already had one.
Are you kidding?! I was 13 or 14 when I got it, it was my first 'sampler' and it was so easy I had figured out the entire program in about an hour! It has a nice graphical waveform display, reverse, loop, cut, copy, paste, etc and a few other things which include auto sampling (user defined threshold level) an oscilloscope and an offline FFT. All editing is destructive but it's so easy! It even has a primitive 'sequencer' (linear recorder would be more accurate) which I used to use. I used to record my midi tracks onto either my reel to reel or a borrowed four track then record my programmed sample sequence along side it... That was basically my first rig! Oh, and you can pass audio through it live if you only want the 8 bit crunch without actually sampling.

I'm looking forward to when I have all my gear sorted out and have room for it once more... I'll plumb the audio into my Andromeda... And as I mentioned, it responds to MIDI so I'll be able to trigger it from the Andy and keep all the envolopes, LFOs etc (on the Andy) and audio (from the Atari) in sync... Nice eh?!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu May 28, 2009 4:31 am

Altitude wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Altitude wrote:Just grabbed on of these:

http://www.narrat1ve.com/

Dirty as it gets plus you can clock it off a modular :D
That looks awesome! I wonder how hard they are to put together...
Took me about 2 hrs and you can get the SMD chip presoldered, everything else is through hole. There are maybe 60 parts all together.

Quite similar in specs to the atari mentioned above actually but also has two banks and 5 effects to boot

Here are Vasculator's demos:

http://vascaudio.com/audio/swinebits.mp3 - virus into wtpa
http://vascaudio.com/audio/crunchedOutGash.mp3 - machinedrum into wtpa
sweet.. was reading up on it today but hadn't seen any demos.. did you just get the kit or try sourcing all the parts? I would probably do the former, but then I would want to find a case to put it in, etc... :?
Do you even post on vse bro?

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu May 28, 2009 4:45 am

Shreddie wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Shreddie wrote:Not a sampler as such but the Atari ST with Mastersound II sampling software (and cartridge) is about the dirtiest, nastiest sampling I've ever heard. 8 bit with a good variety of rates between 3 and 30 KHz... Clock based transposition... No anti-aliasing.
that sounds great too, though given all the effort involved, probably not worth it... maybe if you already had one.
Are you kidding?!
No no, I just meant the concept using an atari just for sampling i.e. loading software, having a big monitor seems cumbsersome... but it still sounds rad! ESPECIALLY if you can run audio through it!
I'm looking forward to when I have all my gear sorted out and have room for it once more... I'll plumb the audio into my Andromeda... And as I mentioned, it responds to MIDI so I'll be able to trigger it from the Andy and keep all the envolopes, LFOs etc (on the Andy) and audio (from the Atari) in sync... Nice eh?!
But check this bad boy out: http://www.friscoamps.com/?subpage=prod_abc-1

you could basically do what you are saying above with the atari with a small pedal that actually allows cv control over bit depth and sample rate. Like I was saying before, maybe if you already have the atari, that is a good option, but I would prefer a more immediate tool...

This is the first real-time bit-crusher I've seen with as much control.. I know doepfer has a module that does the same thing and a lot more control... but it's a module..

I'm actually a little torn now between the above and that WTPA sampler...

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Thu May 28, 2009 1:39 pm

Sir Ruff wrote: sweet.. was reading up on it today but hadn't seen any demos.. did you just get the kit or try sourcing all the parts? I would probably do the former, but then I would want to find a case to put it in, etc... :?
I just got the kit. Todd deserves a small profit and I dont have an AVR burner, so it was a no brainer for me. For a case, A pactec PT-8 works perfectly for that size PCB, it is the little brother to the PT-10 which is what the x0xb0x is housed in

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Thu May 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:No no, I just meant the concept using an atari just for sampling i.e. loading software, having a big monitor seems cumbsersome... but it still sounds rad! ESPECIALLY if you can run audio through it!
Ah! I get ya!

IIRC, it's a while since I last used it, the software doesn't take too long to load, about a minute. Unfortunately you can't change the sample rate on the fly if you're passing audio through it but I guess that's down to the limitations of the day. Over a monitor, I'm thinking of getting one of those little LCD TVs for it.
But check this bad boy out: http://www.friscoamps.com/?subpage=prod_abc-1

you could basically do what you are saying above with the atari with a small pedal that actually allows cv control over bit depth and sample rate. Like I was saying before, maybe if you already have the atari, that is a good option, but I would prefer a more immediate tool...

This is the first real-time bit-crusher I've seen with as much control.. I know doepfer has a module that does the same thing and a lot more control... but it's a module.
Interesting! But I have bit crushing available (with full control via MIDI) in my A3000. Though I can see how something like that pedal would fit very nicely into a CV controlled rig.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu May 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Altitude wrote:I just got the kit. Todd deserves a small profit and I dont have an AVR burner, so it was a no brainer for me. For a case, A pactec PT-8 works perfectly for that size PCB, it is the little brother to the PT-10 which is what the x0xb0x is housed in
yeah, that's totally fair... I really am not one to start looking for parts if I can get them all at once... I would be more tempted however to individually source the ins/outs, etc... tho again, maybe it's just not worth the effort.
I didn't look at the user forum in a lot of depth, but has anyone created a panel overlay for that specific case?
Shreddie wrote: Over a monitor, I'm thinking of getting one of those little LCD TVs for it.

That would be dang cool... Now if there was a way to shrink the size of the atari! :lol:

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Thu May 28, 2009 8:12 pm

Sir Ruff wrote: I didn't look at the user forum in a lot of depth, but has anyone created a panel overlay for that specific case?
*raises hand