Is there any money in the sample DVD business?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Envergure

Is there any money in the sample DVD business?

Post by Envergure » Sat May 02, 2009 8:58 pm

Anyone every tried selling sample collections?

I'm thinking of buying an analog modular synth. Is it reasonable to expect it to pay for itself in sample collection sales in my lifetime? (Let's assume I'm a pretty good synth programmer, just to simplify things)

aeon

Re: Is there any money in the sample DVD business?

Post by aeon » Sun May 03, 2009 12:10 am

No, I don't think that is reasonable. If you decide to sell samples, have some fun, but don't expect to have a large return on investment from a modular being the source.

I could be wrong, and please don't allow my assessment to dampen any enthusiasm you have!

cheers,
Ian

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun May 03, 2009 5:40 am

It's possible if you hustle and cater to people that require samples. There are websites like audiojungle.net where people can sell stock audio. Websites and none musicians need samples too from time to time. Not sure how audiojungle works in regards to paying but that's something you might want to research.

I am sure the sample DVD people on eBay make tens of dollars. Just put a scantily clad woman with a nice posterior as the cover and the money rolls in.

I would agree with aeon on thinking it isn't reasonable to buy something because you expect X. How big a modular are we talking about anyway? You could always make samples with what you have right now and see if you can sell. If it works out then at least you have answered "Can I sell samples?"
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun May 03, 2009 2:19 pm

Years ago I spoke to a distributor of sample CD's in NL, according to him sample libraries based on synthesizers sell like a 80 year old worn-out wrinkled tit in highschool. Regarding sample CD's, people want acoustic instruments like orchestras, choirs, solo instruments, guitars, drums, ethnic instruments etc. I also don't believe that people are ready to buy the 294837th library with 909 samples or Moog basses.. :P For anything synthetic, a virtual instrument of a classic synth model is today's solution for most people, saves memory, it's more dynamic, it's more organic... do the math.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

rofgilead3

Post by rofgilead3 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:58 pm

I just bought a set of sample cds for akai format recently.
Mostly I wanted classical piano sounds already mapped to the akai sampler so I wouldn't have to do all the work (I tried to make my own piano first using free samples and it was terrible).

You could check out the Kid Nepro site for ideas on making sample cd collections.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sun May 10, 2009 11:30 am

CS_TBL wrote: Regarding sample CD's, people want acoustic instruments like orchestras, choirs, solo instruments, guitars, drums, ethnic instruments etc. I also don't believe that people are ready to buy the 294837th library with 909 samples or Moog basses.. :P
+1 (apart from the terrible tit analogy) I sell samples, and I have them licensed to an online vendor. It's no fun at all wading through a DVD full of bleeps and blurps, when you can buy something like Arturia Modular Moog, and have the fun of making them yourself.

It's even more fun on a real modular- IMO that's a better motivation for buying one! You can probably sell it at a small loss, which you can consider a small fee for your fun. Who knows, you might even sell it for a small profit.

East West are worth a look- either they make a lot of money from their products, or Doug Rogers is severely in debt :)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed May 13, 2009 12:32 pm

The big problem with a sample CD from a modular is that you tend to wanna make cool effects and S&H madness to prove your programming skills to the world. Then noone can use them, because they are rythmical, so they'd have to build their song around the samples instead of the other way around.

That and the fact that you have to compete against software modulars that are plenty available both commercially and for free, where people can just download, press a key and adjust the parameters of the patches as they want. Can't do much with a sampled sequence other than timeshift it a bit.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed May 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Effects, S&H madness and such things are actually a sign of sound design n00bness.

I can teach a monkey how to twist a few knobs on a modular, what you get are odd impractical sounds. Now, to make a lifelike organic and usable sound is something else. There are a million ways to make an odd blurp or even a synth bass (whatever that may be, since there are zillions o' synth basses as there is no 100% definition of a synth bass in the real world), but to imitate an acoustic instrument with a synth there're only a few ways to do so.. maybe even one. And you can't cheat with those imitations anyway: a synth bass can be wrong, no one has ever heard a synth bass because it doesn't exist outside synths. But everyone knows how a clarinet sounds, or a violin, or a trumpet, you can't cheat with that.
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed May 13, 2009 1:09 pm

I think it's safe to assume that nobody wants samples of a modular synth imitating an acoustic instrument...

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed May 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Exxtreme Kazoo-scapes Vol.2

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed May 13, 2009 4:48 pm

:) XXXL Ultimate Jaws Harp 12 DVD set.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed May 13, 2009 8:12 pm

There's obviously some money to be made....see Loopmasters, Sony (Acid loops), Zero-G, Uberschall, etc. They all sell nicely produced sample packages and some are rather expensive.

If you look at the credits you'll see names of sound designers, recording artists, DJs, etc. The bigger the name, the more likely the packages will sell, eh?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed May 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Big-name sounddesigners are overrated.
FM8 vids

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed May 13, 2009 11:22 pm

Yes, clearly there is money in samples, as I said, look at East West- Doug Rogers' collects cars. Eric Pershing collects synths. Nice work :)

But I think we've concluded, correctly, that there's no money in the OP's particular idea.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu May 14, 2009 2:00 am

I don't think a modular is a good place to start. If anything you should be looking at a stringer or combo organ. I'd imagine samples of these instruments are quite popular - just look at the Mellotron!