E-mu's Bizarre Sense Of Humour!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
KennethA

Re: E-mu's Bizarre Sense Of Humour!

Post by KennethA » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:57 am

Ry-Fi wrote:Indeed, Mackie manuals ARE great! They're very clear, concise and informative, with a friendly, casual tone (instead of sounding like the monotonous delivery of a very boring tech writer), and littered with excellent humour, from chuckle-worthy to howl-inducing. Easily some of the best manuals I've ever read.
For the record - the same goes for the old Emu Systems manuals if you ask me :-)

KennethA
12bit.com
Emax, Emax II, Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, EIIIXP, SP12 Turbo, SP1200, E6400, E6400 Ultra, Drumulator with Pad Programmer, PPG 360 Wavecomputer, PPG Wave 2, PPG Wave 2.3, PPG EVU, PPG PRK FD, PPG Waveterm B + a lot more.

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:54 pm

You'll find a mighty 'yeehaw' on the desktop evolver PCB....

quique
Gear: EIII, MDUW, Spectralis
Band: The Acid Casualties

Post by quique » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:21 am

ha-ha! new member here. The tech that built my EIII really loved his mom...or maybe it was mother's day. :lol:

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Perhaps the tech was being a bit cryptic.....MOM is WOW spelled upsidedown! :lol:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

JB
Gear: K2500RS + KDFX, K2600R, 2 x DMTi, KSP8, Capybara 320, DSI Mono Evolver Kbd, DeepBase9, Powercore Firewire + Virus, Yamaha TX81z & 03d

Post by JB » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:29 am

Steve Jones wrote:Wasn't there a picture of a banana slug on the boards of some Drumulators?
I think (from a vague memory) that the Banana Slug was drawn around the main CPU chip in a Sequential Studio 440.... or was it the 440 that had the magic mushrooms on the main PCB?... I can't remember, either way SCI/Sequential also had a good sense of psychdelic humour, even in their later days.

Userfriend

Post by Userfriend » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:05 pm

SCI:s sense of humour was more confusing and deceptive than bizarre regarding their samplers:

Prophet 2000: give it the impression that it has a lot of buttons so that people press on the grey squares by mistake. Make a LED which shows rebuses. Let mapping be more of a chess game with the machine. Let people belive that the 1 meg upgrade gives the possibility to make longer samples.

Studio 440: 3 in 1 concept....THAT will confuse people!

Prophet 3000: release a superb sampler which could dominate the market, let Yamaha take over it and then dissapear from the market. Surpriiise!

=D> :? :wink:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:48 pm

that stuff is awesome!
balma wrote:sure these guys were hi-tech hippies smoking weed during their working hours ....
:lol:

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:29 am

KennethA wrote:
Ry-Fi wrote:Indeed, Mackie manuals ARE great! They're very clear, concise and informative, with a friendly, casual tone (instead of sounding like the monotonous delivery of a very boring tech writer), and littered with excellent humour, from chuckle-worthy to howl-inducing. Easily some of the best manuals I've ever read.
For the record - the same goes for the old Emu Systems manuals if you ask me :-)

KennethA
12bit.com

I agree. Easily one of the easiest friendliest manuals you'll ever pick up is a SP-1200 manual. It even has the guy's name that wrote the thing right on the fromt page. Craig Anderton...I think. I'll have to look again. It was written that way as well. Very coherent and logical. UNLIKE Korg or Yamaha that sounded as if a robot were barking orders to you IMO.

s.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x