Minimoog drum sampling

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Operatron

Minimoog drum sampling

Post by Operatron » Mon May 25, 2009 3:55 am

Have you ever sampled(good quality) drum patches(presets and custum creations) from the arturia minimoog V synth ?, if so are they any good ? , some people say that even the minimoog's software emulation (arturia minimoog V)sounds much better(richer,fat) than the acctual TB-303; TR-606 because the amount of oscillators,fm and wider pallette of tools at the time to create a sound or is it just like an TR-707 but with better sound and sample quality ? :)
Cheers

Sebastian.
Last edited by Operatron on Mon May 25, 2009 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tchammosaur

Re: Minimoog drum sampling

Post by Tchammosaur » Mon May 25, 2009 4:01 am

I don't want to enter the software vs. hardware debate, but I sample Arturia Minimoog V drum sounds into my S3000XL with very nice results.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon May 25, 2009 4:45 pm

never heard any drum sounds out of a 303. also never heard any drum sound that uses oscillators out of a 707.

besides that, NOTHING beats a real 303, as NOTHING beats a real minimoog (even for drum sounds :D)

why would you want to sample something from a vst anyway?

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Mon May 25, 2009 5:13 pm

pflosi wrote: why would you want to sample something from a vst anyway?
for convenience, i better like to have a folder full of drum sound that i did intentional, or not, that i can scroll through.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Tue May 26, 2009 1:56 am

pflosi wrote:never heard any drum sounds out of a 303. also never heard any drum sound that uses oscillators out of a 707.

besides that, NOTHING beats a real 303, as NOTHING beats a real minimoog (even for drum sounds :D)

Pflosi:
Do you even use software at all? Because if I recall correctly I got into a bit of spat with you over a similar situation where I asked about a software emulation of hardware and you predictably parroted "bla bla bla nothing beats <insert vintage synth here>" and I responded like an asshole and that was the end of that.
But this begs the question: just why do you come into the software forum? You parrot the same sorry stubborn a*s rhetoric over and over; what you say offers no insight even as to why its "better" - you're just being stubborn and it annoys the piss out of me when some one goes onto a forum just to denounce the topics.

If someone asks me "hey I am looking for a rackmount wavetable synth what do you suggest?", I'm not going to run my mouth off about what a great program ableton live is.

Please desist.

Now on topic: sampling the output of any synth for percussion is really fun. Often what ill do to get ideas flowing is I will set up a really basic 4/4 sequence to trigger my soundsource and just record as I tweak. Post session ill then try to catalog what sounds I like. I get better results when I don't overthink it because what I will do then is consolidate the recording while maintaining the timing so that I can throw the file on traktor. For me at least it seems easier to come up with basic back beat using dj software and I like the variation you can get both from beat juggling but messing with the loop controls and letting the loop ride out into further tweaked out triggers
blunted daydreaming

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue May 26, 2009 2:56 am

Operatron wrote:Have you ever sampled(good quality) drum patches(presets and custum creations) from the arturia minimoog V synth ?, if so are they any good ? , some people say that even the minimoog's software emulation (arturia minimoog V)sounds much better(richer,fat) than the acctual TB-303; TR-606 because the amount of oscillators,fm and wider pallette of tools at the time to create a sound or is it just like an TR-707 but with better sound and sample quality ? :)
Cheers

Sebastian.
Samples only sound good if the source material sounds good.
pflosi wrote:
So you can have that sound available to load into any sampler when you would not otherwise have access to that VST, as well as a multitude of other reasons.

Just so you know, we won't be having bullshit elitist attitude wars and software vs hardware attitudes in the Samplers forum. To make this point clearly, I have locked this thread.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.