Peculiar samples

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Re: Peculiar samples

Post by rhino » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:56 pm

years ago when the Mirage ruled, I need a 'beast' howl for a Childrens Theater production of "Beauty and the Beast"
tried slowing down a wolf, dog, cow, sheep etc. Tried vocalizing it myself. nothing satisfied me, so ended up hexa-decimaling my way combining a rooster crow, parrot squawk and a sample of a bagpipe. must have worked...scared the bejezus out of the little kids in the front rows.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:56 pm

A few nights ago, my friend and I placed two, highly sensitive Oktava condensers in a stereo setup above a chair.

We then spun a €2 coin as fast as we could on the chair, holding the chair so we could control the coin's motion between the two mics...

On its own it's a pretty crazy effect, but reversed it really sounds like a creature from another planet.

Another classic is writing a sentence on a paper.... reading it backwards and then reversing it. Sounds absolutely retarded every time :D

Hmm I also sampled a radio show where the announcers were pitifully trying to pronounce my name, with no luck at all...
Monkey business since 2007!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:34 pm

Sexor wrote:Another classic is writing a sentence on a paper.... reading it backwards and then reversing it. Sounds absolutely retarded every time :D
:lol: Have you seen Tara Busch's video where she taught herself to sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" backwards, and then reversed it?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:29 pm

cornutt wrote:
Sexor wrote:Another classic is writing a sentence on a paper.... reading it backwards and then reversing it. Sounds absolutely retarded every time :D
:lol: Have you seen Tara Busch's video where she taught herself to sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" backwards, and then reversed it?
Dammit, I thought I was being original since I am currently doing this with the opening to "kids of the black hole"

I hate when that happens
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:56 pm

cornutt wrote:

or this:
:D (fast forward to ca 2 minutes, couldn't find a video that started at the right time)

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Thats it... I gotta carry my H2 around more often...

I hear thunder rumbling in the distance... Im going outside...!

But yeah... back in windows 3.1, me and a buddy would use windows recorder to reverse phrases, learn them reversed, record that - then reverse... instant twin peaks! 'I am the arm'...

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:28 pm

rhino wrote:years ago when the Mirage ruled, I need a 'beast' howl for a Childrens Theater production of "Beauty and the Beast"
tried slowing down a wolf, dog, cow, sheep etc. Tried vocalizing it myself. nothing satisfied me, so ended up hexa-decimaling my way combining a rooster crow, parrot squawk and a sample of a bagpipe. must have worked...scared the bejezus out of the little kids in the front rows.
HAHA :lol: that's just all kinds of win!, wouldn't still happen to have the sample floating around would you :)

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:45 pm

sold the Mirage and all the disks long ago...sorry i did.
basicly, the parrot was the attack, followed by the "a-doodle-do" rooster sound. the bagpipe was a single chanter note with a pronounced 'fall-off' at the end. trimmed, combined and slowed they gave a good "AAAWWWWHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" .
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:48 pm

strapped a mic to my dog as he goes mental and makes odd noises to cooking bacon!

Hiding mics in diffent parts of photocopiers, embroidery machines, guilotines and plotters etc

and a circuit bent rampant rabbit!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:53 pm

Shreddie wrote: I'm still trying to get a decent sample of a duck fart though, that's the holy grail for me!
tsk, tsk.

a nun's queef would be mine.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:38 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
Shreddie wrote: I'm still trying to get a decent sample of a duck fart though, that's the holy grail for me!
tsk, tsk.

a nun's queef would be mine.
Haha! Nice!

I'll trade you if we manage to get them!

I've recently tried doing a bit of sampling with an electromagnetic pick-up usually used for recording phone conversations. Holding it near mobile phones, computers and the like to pick up the sounds of the chips, there's all sorts of weirdness to be found! The best was the motor of an electric razor though... Add a little distortion and a bit of chorus... Cracking sound!

You could probably use a guitar pick-up in a similar way.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:03 am

Shreddie wrote: I've recently tried doing a bit of sampling with an electromagnetic pick-up usually used for recording phone conversations.
We used to do that with hand-held AM radios. Tune it between stations and sit it next to a computer. With '70s minicomputers, you could write code that would make it sort of play tunes.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

retrosounds

Post by retrosounds » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:37 am

I did this with my SK-1 awhile ago
"Imagination is priceless"

"I bless the rains down in Africa"