New DIY 8-bit sampler

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
PolarAC
Gear: ASR-10, ESQ-1, Juno 6, MPC 2000, Concertmate MG-1, Fender Rhodes 88, Wavestation A/D, Mutable labs Shruthi-1, Bastl MicroGranny, Volca FM

New DIY 8-bit sampler

Post by PolarAC » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:29 am

You folks heard about this yet:
http://www.narrat1ve.com/copDat.html
http://narrat1ve.com/

If you hate modern samplers with all their supposed fidelity, longing instead for the glitchy digital distortion of samplers past, a DIY project has brought you the sounds you love. “Where’s the Party At?” has been inspiring tingly sensations in digital lovers since I first wrote about it in September.

Now, the kit version is shipping. It’s a unique-looking combination of reliability and sonic unreliability, good open source design engineering and, as the creator puts it, a certain “crustiness.”

Apocryphal Feature List and General Horn-Tooting:

* 8-bit max sample depth, 1-bit minimum.
* 20kHz (or so, user adjustable) max sample rate, no minimum.
* 512k SRAM, about 26 seconds (minimum) or sample time.
* Big, versatile 6 button, 7 knob, 8 LED user interface. For Cavemen.
* Even more big and versatile full MIDI control in and out capability. Fully sequenceable. For people who use Live and general bespectacled electronic music nerds.
* Sample banking — multi-timbral recording, playback and audio processing across all banks.
* Sample multiplication, XOR, ABS, and all sorts of other weird sample processing and cross-modulation.
* Real time overdubbing.
* Preferences saved in permanent memory.
* Hackable analog clock source which can be syncronized to other synths.
* Non-Hackable crystal clock source which will always do Exactly What You Tell it.
* Programmable clock jitter, bit rate reduction, aliasing, and sample clock errors all adjustable in real time.
* All the normal backwards masking and half time and typical sampling features common to many commercial samplers.
* On-The-Fly Granular reconstruction of samples.
* Full pitch control of samples.
* Self test mode for debugging.
* 2.8Hz-357kHz frequency response (measured).
* Sub-audible noise floor.
* Looks nerdy and attracts people with stringy hair. Possibly bad skin.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/05/0 ... -shipping/

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: New DIY 8-bit sampler

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:27 am

Wow, looks cool. And it's cheap too.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:34 am

mine should be here in a week 8)
god elton can't you suck

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:44 am

Holy c**p, I have to have one!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:40 am

Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:13 am

I am going to build one into a Synthesizers.Com panel and put it into my modular.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:10 pm

Steve Jones wrote:I am going to build one into a Synthesizers.Com panel and put it into my modular.
bingo
god elton can't you suck

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:36 pm

My only gripe is how to get it into a case... There are templates already available I guess, but I'm not a real DIY fanatic, so I'd be willing to spend a little more for a case too.
Do you even post on vse bro?

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:58 am

ahah ok i just built this thing and it's hilarious
Sir Ruff wrote:My only gripe is how to get it into a case... There are templates already available I guess, but I'm not a real DIY fanatic, so I'd be willing to spend a little more for a case too.
just build it into a lunchables box or something
god elton can't you suck

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:My only gripe is how to get it into a case... There are templates already available I guess, but I'm not a real DIY fanatic, so I'd be willing to spend a little more for a case too.
I used a pactec PT-8:

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:15 am

Altitude (and others):

Please tell me more about the functional use of the WTPA sampler - I'm itching to get one and read up on it at the website but I just want to know a few things.

Besides doing mad stuff with it, can you just use it as a conventional sampler and get normal sounding samples (all the demos of it are doing sample mashing stuff) with reasonable quality (for an 8-bit 20k sampling rate)?

Do you just press a trigger button and it plays the sample/loops/one shot etc? The manual seems to make some reference to this but it's as simple as pressing a play button?

It holds 2 samples in total in its memory - is that correct? And they are remembered when you power down?

Have you used MIDI to trigger the samples? If so, which note does the sample respond to, or can it spread out the sample chromatically across the keyboard and you can play it musically?

I don't necessarily want/expect it to be a conventional sampler - the controlled chaos features sound great - but it would be great to get it sounding normal and then go all whack!

Thanks for any info!

Cheers, graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:52 pm

gmeredith wrote: Besides doing mad stuff with it, can you just use it as a conventional sampler and get normal sounding samples (all the demos of it are doing sample mashing stuff) with reasonable quality (for an 8-bit 20k sampling rate)?
Yes. using midi it will scale the samples on a normal scale.
Do you just press a trigger button and it plays the sample/loops/one shot etc? The manual seems to make some reference to this but it's as simple as pressing a play button?
yes. In "caveman" mode (meaning using the front panel) you can loop and oneshot samples like a looping pedal.
It holds 2 samples in total in its memory - is that correct? And they are remembered when you power down?
Yes. 2 banks, but it does not retain them on power down
Have you used MIDI to trigger the samples?
Yes. I works like a normal sampler in this regard
If so, which note does the sample respond to, or can it spread out the sample chromatically across the keyboard and you can play it musically?
It responds chromatically. You can set the root note if you want to trigger it at the recorded pitch
I don't necessarily want/expect it to be a conventional sampler - the controlled chaos features sound great - but it would be great to get it sounding normal and then go all whack!
it excels at this. You can record a sample in bank one and then the same sample into bank two but at a different rate and the do a output recombination for some insane effects. You can overdub at a different rate on the same sample. Nothing I have ever come by can do such nutty things with samples. The midi implementation is straightforward and useful. I have been getting my loops tight by simply playing back the sample I want to use through my daw and starting and stopping the recording accurately via midi. for $75, it is well worth it

gmeredith

Post by gmeredith » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:15 am

Wow!! Now I WANT one! Thanks for your answers, they were exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I have a suspicion that it can be made to remember the samples when you power down, according to the schematics, since it uses SRAM, which can use a battery backup system. I'll have to ask on their forums if anyone has done this.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:44 am

gmeredith wrote:Wow!! Now I WANT one! Thanks for your answers, they were exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I have a suspicion that it can be made to remember the samples when you power down, according to the schematics, since it uses SRAM, which can use a battery backup system. I'll have to ask on their forums if anyone has done this.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers, Graham
Thats a good idea..

I also forgot to mention that each bank responds on a different midi channel.

btw, as of 5 days ago, over 60% of the boards are gone, so if you want in, this is the time to do that (and no I am not affiliated with Narrat1ve)

gmeredith

Post by gmeredith » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:08 am

Yes, I noticed that it has multi-timbral performance.

My money is burning a hole in my pocket here, it's itching to do it. I really don't NEED this sampler. I don't NEED lots of gear I own. I NEED someone to give me one good reason why I shouldn't buy this thing =P~

Cheers, Graham