Why do U like the Electribe ESX1 so much?? TIPS

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Why do U like the Electribe ESX1 so much?? TIPS

Post by balma » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:32 pm

Treading and reading....

I have found that there are a lot of fans of this hardware sampler.

I have one plus the EMX1 too.

In the past, I also had the Electribe ER1 and ES1.... so I could say that I have enjoyed the Electribe series a lot...

but you guys are great musicians and I'm not... so tell me why do you like so much the ESX1 specifically, and why....
Last edited by balma on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Why do U like the Electribe ESX1 so much???

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:55 am

i like it because it is quick and no-nonsense to work with, above all.

i also like having independent multimode filters for each and every part, something the EMX sorely lacks.
i like the UI/layout, the sample mangling ability (i have a V-Synth and the ESX is no slouch... not at all)
it is a freak-out box deluxe, if you venture such waters - FX such as the grain shifter, syncable LFO mods to pitch amp filter etc, motion sequencing up the wazoo.
the sequencer is extremely handy for driving external gear. I use it for Moog basslines and triggering E-mu sampler. never skips a beat or falls out of sync...although it doesn't seem to send 'note-off' - which causes the phatty to "hang" onto the last note after the sequencer stops.

i also appreciate that Korg made it affordable, reliable, and available in mass quantities.
sometimes we take that stuff for granted, but it REALLY matters if you ever need replacement/repair.

i think the EMX/ESX combo is the greatest techno/4-on-the floor sketchpad.
[meaning: it is some of the best gear for getting ideas down fast. for full productions other gear is recommended unless you want everything to be Electribe-y]
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:41 am

well, I'm no "great musician", but I agree with everything Shaft just said. Easy to use, fun, and after four years, I still feel I can discover new sounds and ways to use it.

As for recording full tracks, I'm considering to go software with Battery and use the ESX as the midi-controller.
this way, I can get ideas down quickly and the way I want, and then premium sound quality without having to multitrack the ESX (I'm currently trying, and it's so time-consuming it hurts, plus the noise from the output grows with each additional track, it's really noticable..), and still I can take the ESX out to do my tracks live :)

if the outputs were quiet like the Monomachine, it would be perfect. the MC-808 I had a while proved counter-intuitive to work with, and this killed it for me, despite the impressive specs and sounds.

oh, and the arpeggiator is nice too :)

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:44 pm

many, many reasons.

arpeggiator - live playability, especially stuttering samples and rolls.

motion sequencing - ever wish you had more hands to tweak things with? now you do.

keyboard parts with their own midi channels - perfect for controlling external synths. (though i wish the stretch and slice parts had their own channels also.)

individual outs - great for sending samples through outboard effects or, say, separating parts while mixing.

last step feature - awesome for odd timing on on the sequencer. 13 step patterns? no problem. the real bonus is that i can specify the loop point on my mobius so the two stay in sync.

sample mangling ability - want a guitar to sound like a snare drum? or a doorbell to be background vocals? i bet you can do it.

start point/eg time knobs - very cool for live manipulation, especially with longer samples.

bigger/better display screen - a huge step up from the es1.

storable mute/solo data - means i don't have to remember which parts to turn off when i start playing a pattern. also makes breaks in songs/performances easy.

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:39 pm

For a samplist such as myself the ESX is a dream machine come true...for all the reasons mentioned and than some.

I also just recently acquired an EMX..and i cant say anything bad about it, I LOVE IT :D

Korg has managed to create quite a line with these electribe machines, i have no doubts whatsoever that these will be highly sought after in the near future.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Dj Pound wrote:
Korg has managed to create quite a line with these electribe machines, i have no doubts whatsoever that these will be highly sought after in the near future.
I wonder why they have chose not to update them.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:18 pm

Everything above - plus for me : Pattern mode (pattern set button. Hold shift to keep it on - for either machine..)

Hugely useful for me - I've been doing some live (funky prog psy-slop) dancefloor and pattern mode gives fantastic ability to jump around groups of patterns quickly and accurately...(without having to spin the data wheel to the next pattern, where you can f**k up if you don't find your pattern in time, and accidentally start playing 'bigbeat5'.. )

Also -
I thought I had gone thru the manual completely, but had missed this cool feature for pattern mode -

You can set a range of patterns (any length) to play sequentially in pattern mode by holding the first pattern button and pressing the end pattern - it will play each pattern in turn and go back to the beginning... this works between pattern groups as well (left and right cursor)

In short - you can setup some pretty complex performances to dynamically play out as you feel... Sort of like song mode but you can control how things move, on the fly....

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:50 pm

aredj wrote: You can set a range of patterns (any length) to play sequentially in pattern mode by holding the first pattern button and pressing the end pattern - it will play each pattern in turn and go back to the beginning... this works between pattern groups as well (left and right cursor)
Well that's new for me...,

I don't know, I like the electribes, they are so easy to use, ideas flowing is very fast, but I didn't like so much the ESX1, expected a little bit more for $500, specially when shaping the samples.

I LIKE the idea of NO menus, everything on hardware controllers.

But I deffinitly miss more depth features on the sound edition. Effects are poor and quite simple, only two parameters for each one of them, I miss SO MUCH the beatiful delay of the Electribe ER1, that one that resulted on feedback waves when you turn the depth to the top. Very elastic sound.

Only one connection for LFOs, I wish I could link two parameters to LFOs, or having, at least, more LFO types, this thing is hyperbasic in all the sense of the world. the minimun set of LFOs, and only one. Linkin the start time to the LFO, or having a real random parameter, would be a great addition.

Only 256 slots for mono... this limitation gives me a lot of problems on sounds possibilities. I have exceeded this quantity a lot of times, and then, I have to sacrifice the short memory using the stereo. BTW, the samples onboard memory is really small.

Erasing or editing samples that are located on the lower slots, is a nightmare. If you erase the a sample that is on the location #10, will take almost a minute!

When sampling short pieces of beat samples, it's so hard to find the start time, since you don't have the wave graphic display. If you miss the start or the end time, when you slice the sample, if the lenght of the sample is not accurated, that will result on a bouncing or too swinged beat sample.

I reached the learning curve really fast. I love sampling, I also have the Vsynth, recently adquired a Kurz 2500, two SP 808 samplers, the Yamaha EX5, and spend a lot of time editing samples, sampling movies, p**n, other synths, other artists, everything I can...

What is weird, is that, despite I see a LOT of limitations on this sampler, it's quite addictive for me. I use it at least 2 hours per day since I got it last year.
I don't have to travel throught menus, hardware is very accesible and comfortable. You can work this machine with your eyes closed....

Beatiful when working with voices. Slicing them, going to reverse and straight on small sequences, rolling them, gives a lot of bizarre sounds.

It's vital to start with high quality samples. Samples must be thick since you get them, because there are not too much sampling edition possibilities. But spreading sounds on each one of the pads is quite comfortable...

First thing I did, was to erase completely the .wavs from factory, and also the patterns. They are so cheesy...

I'm really doubtful. I use it everyday, I think is a love-hate relationship je je ...

What calls my attention, is that I have a nice gear setup, and the Electribe is maybe the simplest one of them, and I use IT a lot. And also that happens with some VSE members.....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:57 pm

Coming from a 2000XL with 21 seconds sample time and an ES-1 with 95 seconds stock, the ESX will all of 4 minutes was a step up for me :lol:

I could always use more sample time though, but in many instances ive learned to just live with what i have and make the most of it.

"When sampling short pieces of beat samples, it's so hard to find the start time, since you don't have the wave graphic display. If you miss the start or the end time, when you slice the sample, if the lenght of the sample is not accurated, that will result on a bouncing or too swinged beat sample."

If you want to trim your samples more accurately try turning the pitch all the way down and truncate as much as possible until you get a decent attack point. Works everytime!
Last edited by Dj Pound on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:25 pm

aredj wrote:-

You can set a range of patterns (any length) to play sequentially in pattern mode by holding the first pattern button and pressing the end pattern - it will play each pattern in turn and go back to the beginning... this works between pattern groups as well (left and right cursor)
funny, but this tip has helped me a lot on the last week.

I waited a few days to reply, just to try the "new feature" , and really solved a problem that I have been suffering with song composition. When I duplicate a pattern in order to make the next step of the song I'm compossing, I got lost, and instead creating a continuation of the previous pattern, I end with a whole new pattern that does not match with the previous one. So, I cannot chain patterns in a rational way in order to create a song...

thanks thanks thanks

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:16 pm

right on...
Its a great mode to compose with!

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:55 pm

Some more tips for getting start/end points right: (I'm working on ES-1mk2.. should be interchangeable with anything else though I guess)

- To set the START point, wind the END all the way back to the start of the sound.. at the very last few turns of the knob, you will hear nothing but a click.. keep turning END back until you get to the first point that is entirely devoid of the click.. Now note down the number.. this is your start point. Wind the end back to the very end, and set your start point with the number you remembered.

Now truncate, so that the start point is at 000000

- To set the END point, wind START all the way to the end of the sample, as above - until the first point where you cant hear anything (or if theres another hit or something you want to chop off, you'll hear it appear as an increase in volume.. get to the lowest point)... Now note this point.. this is the END. Wind start back to 000000, then set the END to the point you just found.

Perfect start/end points, every time!

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:21 am

I like:

pattern set. Some people are great 'finger drummers'... I am not. The bread and butter of jamming for me lays in mashing variations and sequences. That in combination with the motion sequencing and the ability to quickly alter step by step values like a tracker with only a simple alpha-numeric display. And I love using the 'keyboard' mono sequencers to sequence sliced samples on an ableton drum racks or controlling accompanying patterns.

As far as the idea of a new one, I do wish I had more sample time like the mv8000 has but that would probably overcomplicate things. So really the only update I want that couldn't be solved by buying a 2nd esx, would be USB and amore modern storage format
blunted daydreaming

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:57 pm

It's a shame that the pattern set does not allow to store the same pattern with different variations.

That's, for example, the best feature of the crappy Roland groovebox series. On the pattern mode, you can store the same pattern, with different effects, different patches, different tracks muted or turned on. That means, you can create an entire song with just a 16 measures pattern. That will definitly increase a lot a machine like the ESX1.

BTW, who uses the awuful preset samples? First thing I did was erasing them all. Just keep a few kicks that sound good.
I have created at least 20 sets of around 300 samples. I mean, I have around 6000 different samples just for this tiny groovesampler.

I have found specially useful, to sample chorded sounds. since each track is monophonic, sometimes I feel the sound too thin, so I started to make my sounds more dense, more thick.
And, for example, for a saw, I sample 4 chord variations, three notes chords for each sample.
That works simple great, you put those chorded samples on a single pattern on 4 tracks, and you can create really good scales or arppegios with them.

The machine is good, but you have to work it !!! I'm starting to get such cool electro tracks, very very active sampling all my synths.

I created a single ESX sample patch, sampling the V synth, the Waldorf Q, the SY99 and the command station, using
the line in of the Waldorf Q and the V synth, and passing the other two synths throught them, and then sending them to the line in stereo of the electribe
Last edited by balma on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:06 pm

balma wrote:It's a shame that the pattern set does not allow to store the same pattern with different variations.

That's, for example, the best feature of the crappy Roland groovebox series. On the pattern mode, you can store the same pattern, with different effects, different patches, different tracks muted or turned on. That means, you can create an entire song with just a 16 measures pattern. That will definitly increase a lot a machine like the ESX1.

You can do that on an electribe, just save to another pattern slot. I try and keep pattern variations clumped together in sequential slots
blunted daydreaming