Why do U like the Electribe ESX1 so much?? TIPS

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: Why do U like the Electribe ESX1 so much???

Post by balma » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:18 pm

diezdiazgiant wrote:
balma wrote:It's a shame that the pattern set does not allow to store the same pattern with different variations.

That's, for example, the best feature of the crappy Roland groovebox series. On the pattern mode, you can store the same pattern, with different effects, different patches, different tracks muted or turned on. That means, you can create an entire song with just a 16 measures pattern. That will definitly increase a lot a machine like the ESX1.

You can do that on an electribe, just save to another pattern slot. I try and keep pattern variations clumped together in sequential slots
Yeap, but the trick is doing it exactly without having to use a new slot.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:28 pm

balma wrote:
diezdiazgiant wrote:
balma wrote:It's a shame that the pattern set does not allow to store the same pattern with different variations.

That's, for example, the best feature of the crappy Roland groovebox series. On the pattern mode, you can store the same pattern, with different effects, different patches, different tracks muted or turned on. That means, you can create an entire song with just a 16 measures pattern. That will definitly increase a lot a machine like the ESX1.

You can do that on an electribe, just save to another pattern slot. I try and keep pattern variations clumped together in sequential slots
Yeap, but the trick is doing it exactly without having to use a new slot.

Ahhh, I never used a roland groove box. I keep flirting with the idea of buying an mc909 but keep talking myself out of it on the basis that it won't offer anything I can't get done with ableton
blunted daydreaming

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:13 am

128 pattern slots should really be plenty to include variations.. how many songs do you need to have on hand all the time?

If you had 8 parts to a song, that's still 16 songs you can have on there at once.

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:02 am

cartesia wrote:128 pattern slots should really be plenty to include variations.. how many songs do you need to have on hand all the time?

If you had 8 parts to a song, that's still 16 songs you can have on there at once.
co-sign
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:40 am

I am still learning to use mine...I am like at 50%

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Re: Why do U like the Electribe ESX1 so much?? TIPS

Post by diezdiazgiant » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Fun trick, if you want an another part on the electribe to behave similarly to a slice track, what you do is:

1. Say you've got a 4/4 loop, first resample it
2. You put the sample start time at the beginning and then you want to wind the end time down till you stop hearing the second quarter beat . You need to do this with the dedicated start/end knobs in the part controls.
3. Program the quarter beat with that one part and as it plays back twist the start knob. If its not working try turning down the tempo.

This is also a blast when combining the start knob with the arp...
blunted daydreaming

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:45 pm

JSRockit wrote:
Dj Pound wrote:
Korg has managed to create quite a line with these electribe machines, i have no doubts whatsoever that these will be highly sought after in the near future.
I wonder why they have chose not to update them.
They're still selling?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:25 am

Totally, I imagine they've paid off all the R&D by now and the product is well into its cash-cow phase.

The only thing that really needs updating is the storage method as you can't get 128MB SMCs any more. But if they were to update that it'd require redoing the boards and retooling the production line and I imagine they're going to wait for a major upgrade before they do that. They'll probably bring out a new Electribe in the next couple of years with more polyphony, CF or SD storage and midi (and possibly audio) over USB but for now they still work great and sound great so they'll just keep building them until someone brings out a product that's so much better that Electribe sales dry up.

LymanAlpha
Gear: Korg T3, Wavestation A/D, Emu XL-7, Zoom 223, Roland GR-30, Buchla Thunder. Too many guitars and guitar processors to list.
Band: Lyman Alpha

Post by LymanAlpha » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Masstronaut asked:

"They're still selling?"

I picked one up new at a local store last month, inspired by some of the Denkitribe and Ghost Radio Show vids on YouTube - And Sweetwater has them in stock. As for the SM cards, I found them new on Amazon, so they're still available, if expensive. Before getting those I tried an xD card to SM adapter, but the ESX-1 refused to see the XD card, even when the card was partitioned to 128MB. I'm using Audiofile Engineering's Wave Editor, Sample Manager, and the open source Audacity editor to process the samples before writing them to the SD card. Sometimes that's too much work, and I just plug an SM-57 into the audio input and bang on stuff instead.

Another nice thing is that neoprene sleeves for the new generation of 15.4" screen laptops fit this unit well. I took mine on vacation with me in my backpack, although it got a fair amount of attention from the security screeners at the airports.

One interesting thing - About 3 weeks after buying it, I got a survey from Korg about it, including a new feature request section, so there still seems to be some sort of active interest within the company about the product.

Dj Pound
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:14 am

I picked one up new at a local store last month, inspired by some of the Denkitribe and Ghost Radio Show vids on YouTube

Denkitribe, Ghost radio show and Mryat Continue to blow my mind as well :mrgreen:
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:39 pm

You can use an XD card on the Electribe, using the link depot from SM to XD, is aroun $8 on amazon.
Or get a link depot from SM to USB, in this way, you can save eveything in your computer on seconds.

I put on practice some tips wrote here, and really thanks for them.

For example, I realize that I can get better and louder samples, using the edition process:

On sample mode, turn left all the pitch well, to its lowes parameter -63, So you can hear the sample slowly and with more detail. Move the start point slowly hearing carefully. when you don't hear any click sound and you have a smoother sample: truncate, and then normalize.

Sometimes when you have a click sound at the start of the sample, specially on samples with fast decay, you can't normalize it, since the normalizer, takes as the top volume, the click sound, and then, it leaves the sample almost intact. So if you eliminate that high volume at the beginning, the rest of the sample will normalize.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

Dj Pound
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:03 am

balma wrote: I put on practice some tips wrote here, and really thanks for them.

For example, I realize that I can get better and louder samples, using the edition process:

On sample mode, turn left all the pitch well, to its lowes parameter -63, So you can hear the sample slowly and with more detail. Move the start point slowly hearing carefully. when you don't hear any click sound and you have a smoother sample: truncate, and then normalize.

Sometimes when you have a click sound at the start of the sample, specially on samples with fast decay, you can't normalize it, since the normalizer, takes as the top volume, the click sound, and then, it leaves the sample almost intact. So if you eliminate that high volume at the beginning, the rest of the sample will normalize.
Very true!
Also the same thing goes for truncating the end. Sometimes if you trim the ending point by 1 or 2 fine digits and than truncate and than normalize...the volume will be boosted even more....Again, this isnt always the case but most of the time it works :mrgreen:
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:12 pm

balma wrote:Or get a link depot from SM to USB, in this way, you can save eveything in your computer on seconds.
Does this really exist?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:21 pm

Villi wrote:
balma wrote:Or get a link depot from SM to USB, in this way, you can save eveything in your computer on seconds.
Does this really exist?
yes I have a imaginary one plugged at my PC's usb port. It actually solved 100% of my sample storaging with the ESX1

You don't need to get more than 1 SM, not even the other link depot I mentioned, since you just save everythin to the SM, then copy paste to the computer, and then format the SM to release the memory and restart the process

So, one of my biggest complaint of my ESX1, the short memory, was solved.

BTW, I use it on stage, so I need to have loaded all the pattern memory for several songs, so, I suffer from lack of pattern slots, and my patterns are a huge disorder, spreaded all over the memory.

With this link depot, loading and loading sets of around 300 samples, each set with its unique flavor, has expelled my ESX1 out of the strathosphere.

It will be good to post some patterns

LymanAlpha
Gear: Korg T3, Wavestation A/D, Emu XL-7, Zoom 223, Roland GR-30, Buchla Thunder. Too many guitars and guitar processors to list.
Band: Lyman Alpha

Post by LymanAlpha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:41 am

Balma - Ahh, this is what you mean by 'link depot". For this, I use my HP USB printer,
which has a slot for SM. So I tweeze the samples on the MacBook, store them on
the SM using the printer as a giant link depot, and then load the samples
into the ESX-1. I recently bought an Alesis Pro-Track, so now I can sample
to the iPod, load those to the MacBook, and then go through the
tweeze-store-load cycle this way. Still haven't processed the first batch
of samples from the Pro-Track, thought.