Korg Micro Sampler

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Korg Micro Sampler

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:20 pm

Korg really loves 48K sample rates which is a shame since 44.1K samples are much more common. That will make WAV import messier...maybe the software will do the rate conversion?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:25 pm

Dietrich wrote:If it has only a single track, I wouldn't be too keen on buying this instead of the ESX-1.

Still hoping for a more advanced sampler in the future.
I think they are two totally different products. One for sequencing and one more for playing.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:53 am

JSRockit wrote:
Dietrich wrote:If it has only a single track, I wouldn't be too keen on buying this instead of the ESX-1.

Still hoping for a more advanced sampler in the future.
I think they are two totally different products. One for sequencing and one more for playing.
Johnny, stop raining on people's opportunities to piss and moan.
;)
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:01 am

I could be wrong but I think each bank is its own sequencer track. There's a knob that seems to indicate that.
blunted daydreaming

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:36 am

48K sample rates..... 44.1K samples. That will make WAV import messier...
The 48k sample rate issue isn't such a hassle. if it is anything like my ES-1 - which samples at 32k but I can load 44k samples into it, I then just have to tune them up to correct pitch because it plays the 44k wavs at the slower 32k rate - then you'll be able to load 44k wavs into the Microsampler, but it will just play them back faster, at the 48k rate. You'll just have to tune them down to correct pitch, in this instance.

You could do a sample rate conversion with a wav editor, but I find it quicker just to load 'em up and tune them. Especially if you have lots of wav files - there would be lots of time converting, unless the editor had a batch process feature. Also, sometimes sample rate conversion does screwy things to the high frequencies (hihats etc sound harsher) so I prefer not to mess with them and leave them unconverted.

Cheers, graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:42 am

They should have given it an auto-detect feature with the nanopad. That would have generated interest from the MPC crowd.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:57 am

diezdiazgiant wrote:I could be wrong but I think each bank is its own sequencer track. There's a knob that seems to indicate that.
I watched the video on Korg's site and it looked like each bank had 16 patterns which are each a single sequencer track of overdubbed passes. I don't even know if there is step editing. The guy on the video played samples off the keyboard to a metronome putting one part on top of the other. You should still be able to adjust the volume and mess with the effects and timing on each individual sample, though.

I was of the opinion that the Korg Microsampler was a gimmick when I began reading this topic, but am starting to believe that it may have serious potential. The batteries on the Microkorg were of limited use, and very few people want to construct full songs on their DS10, but I feel like this instrument could be a breakthrough in portable music creation. I feel like I should offer kudos to Korg for taking this first step, but I know they'll sell a billion of these even if it sucks. And if it does suck, it looks durable enough for me to give to my future children and see what comes of it.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm starting to take it a bit more serious as well. So ugly, but could be useful.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:39 pm

An aesthetic miracle it ain't, but it's not nearly as ugly as the old-ladies'-lingerie-colored MicroKorg. Hey we've got this great little synth that'll sell millions, let's make it champagne and s**t brown! #-o
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:10 am

Heres the microsamplers manual for a more in depth explanation of all its functions:

http://www.korg.co.uk/downloads/microsa ... _OM_E2.pdf
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:23 am

ah after reading the manual i was hoping the "auto next" meant it had round robin triggering, and i was hoping those led buttons doubled as a TR style step sequencer but i guess not. still seems fun but clearly not supposed to be a successor to the electribes, more like an mpc500 with a few trade offs in editing ability, in exchange for minimal menus. should combine pretty nicely into korg's ensemble.
blunted daydreaming

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:48 am

I'm going to buy one. Possibly 3. I wish it had

1. An ELEFO
3. Headset Microphone
4. Weighted keys
5. Breath In/Out controller obtion
5. More reading time, less recess

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:10 am

Always baffled me as too why korg could never include a proper "attack" envelope function on any of their newer gear, most notably the first generation tribes and the newer ESX and EMX and now the microsampler :?
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:23 am

Dj Pound wrote:Always baffled me as too why korg could never include a proper "attack" envelope function on any of their newer gear, most notably the first generation tribes and the newer ESX and EMX and now the microsampler :?
yeah i know!, it's exclusion on the EMX was pretty piss poor

elsongs

Post by elsongs » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:09 am

Looks great, but maybe we should all wait for the eventual Korg microSAMPLER XL, coming in 2016 :) :) :)