Hardware Sampler with the most hands-on interface?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Robonaut
Gear: Roland JD-800
Roland JV-2080
Roland SH-101
Studio Electronics Omega 8

Hardware Sampler with the most hands-on interface?

Post by Robonaut » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:13 am

I've been using Battery 2 for several years for drum sounds and other one-shot samples. Now, though, I'd like to do something a bit more experimental.

I've owned hardware samplers in the past (including an Akai S2800 and an Emu EIV), but they never got much use because I really loathe their menu driven interfaces.

So, what I really think I'm looking for is a hardware sampler with an analog synth-like interface.

The Nord Wave seems to fit this description, but I'm wondering:

(1) Is the Nord Wave really that great of a sampler?

(2) Is there anything similar out there that's better? Or at least available for less cash?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Hardware Sampler with the most hands-on interface?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:10 am

Check out the SP-404, could be just what you're after.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:11 am

Also check out the Korg ESX

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:17 am

Robonaut wrote:for drum sounds and other one-shot samples. Now, though, I'd like to do something a bit more experimental.
The Roland MC-909 is excellent for drum sounds and one shot samples. It has nice interface and way cheaper than the Nord Wave. The big screen also make sample editing easier. Plus it would do drag and drop samples to the PC through the USB interface. It has 2 simultaneous multi-fx plus a dedicated reverb, compressor/eq and a Master compressor. With re-sampling and the powerful synth engine, it's a powerful tool to do experimental things.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:35 am

I hate to sound so biased against other gear...but man, I gotta go with the ESX-1.
Tons of hands on goodness for dayz! :mrgreen:
The Machinedrum UW judging from what Ive read also offers up some bad a*s knob tweakage.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:05 am

Dj Pound wrote:I hate to sound so biased against other gear...but man, I gotta go with the ESX-1.
The Machinedrum UW judging from what Ive read also offers up some bad a*s knob tweakage.
...which is why I soon will own both :twisted:

Dj Pound
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:38 pm

TrondC wrote:
Dj Pound wrote:I hate to sound so biased against other gear...but man, I gotta go with the ESX-1.
...which is why I soon will own both :twisted:
:lol: I swear I need to get me one too.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:12 pm

My two cents about twekeable samplers:

ESX 1 is really hands of, but mostly because is a simple, basic sampler. It does not have too much features, and there are NO menus. 90% of the features, are there, ready to tweak. But mostly becasuse, they are just a bunch of features.

Is a shame that:

The start point of the sample cannot be linked to anything. It will be OK if this could be linked at least to LFO or could be sync with the bpm. Low point there.

Also, on sliced samples (those ones that you can divide on pieces) for beat samples, you cannot choose with the step modulator, the slice you want to play. Low point there.

Something that really annoys me!: the tweaks jump to the value you modificate in the moment that you move the knob. That sucks a big time on real performance tweaking.

I mean, you want to tweak the filter of XXX sample. The default value in that moment for the filter is 64. But if you move the knob, and the knob is on the left position on 0, the value will suddenly jump to zero, screwing the sound.

On each live act, I always have problems with this situation. Also, when choosing a drum track, just pressing it, makes it sound, I need to confirm if holding shift and pressing the track, can avoid this annoying problem.

Sometimes, despite the SP808ex is not a sample mangle, and has only 3 knobs, 2 dbeams and a step modulator as controllers, I feel it more twekeable than the ESX itself.

It does not have the knob jump value issue. You move a knob, and the parameter that you are modifying, won't change until you reach the actual value with the knob tweak. Also the step modulator is pure gold. You activate it, and a serie of tweakings start to take effect, quantized, synched with the tempo, one shot, gated, or step by step each time you press the step modulator trigger. That rocks.

I don't know how much is your budget, but I feel that most tweakeable sampler ever, is the V SYNTH.

Of course, it costs a lot more than the ESX-1, but tweaking samples with the V synth, is simple addictive. Is very known by his lovers, the totally hands-on interfase that the V synth offers to his users.

V synth is totally focused on live tweaking. It has so much controls for the parameters, that I will love to have four arms to make a mess with them.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:17 pm

balma wrote:On each live act, I always have problems with this situation. Also, when choosing a drum track, just pressing it, makes it sound, I need to confirm if holding shift and pressing the track, can avoid this annoying problem.
Holding shift and pressing the part does fix this problem on the ESX drum tracks

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:05 am

balma wrote:sample start point can't be assigned to lfo.

One thing I find useful is that if you sequence 4 variations of a hit, for example, and resample it - the start point knob is able to record motion sequence data so you put the resampled 4 hit sequence on a part and if you put enough space between hits, it is pretty easy to get a lot of variations recording the start point tweaks and saving them as different patterns to use with the pattern set function.
Its usefull when you sample arpeggios because you can re edit the order and direction pretty expressively. This is hard to make work on fast parts without going into step edit or slowing down the tempo while you record it.
blunted daydreaming

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:49 pm

That's a good tip, well sometimes I forget that slowing down tempo can help when inputing knob movements.

Something that piss me off with the Electribe knobs, is that they are kind of inaccurate, for example, I'm trying to put the pitch on -28, I'm on -27, I move the knob the left a little bit, and it jumps to -29. f**k! they are a pain in the a*s for tiny adjustments.

I opted for inputing those values one by one with the step modulation editor..... more time, but anyway, sequences on the ESX1 are short....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

Dj Pound
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:57 pm

So I was reading up on the machinedrum today on elektrons site. I was checking out the specs and it states that you get only 2.5 MB's of ram stock standard in the unit...their is no expansion either.
:cry: Whats that? Like 22 seconds of sample time!? Man...Thats kind of depressing. I mean the musical possibilities would still be somewhat endless, but gosh for that price I was kind of expecting more sample time :mrgreen:
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:38 pm

I vomit those 2.5 mb. Sounds like a 12 years ago sampling storage capabilities.

It's almost like having no sampler there shipped from factory.
The amount of samples that you can have on the road while composing, has an important role on your creativity.

Working with a decent sampling memory size is so handy when editing them. You can copy, paste. chope, storing diferent versions of the same sample resampled, having several notes of the same sample, lots of sounds to work with, then, erasing what does not work, and keep improving and editing.....
the SP 808ex is already an old sampler with around 10 years. Shipped from factory it can sample 1 hour of stereo at 44mhz. At 32, on mono, can sample almost 3 hours...

0e0
Gear: Roland MKS-50, Juno-106, JV-1080
Yamaha A4000, SU700, S80 (w/PLG150-VL), SY 77, SY 22
Oberheim Matrix-1000
Kawai K3m, K4
Zoom ST-224
Band: 0=0

Post by 0e0 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:47 am

have you seen the korg microsampler?

j

0=0

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:51 pm

balma wrote:I vomit those 2.5 mb. Sounds like a 12 years ago sampling storage capabilities.

It's almost like having no sampler there shipped from factory.
The amount of samples that you can have on the road while composing, has an important role on your creativity.

Working with a decent sampling memory size is so handy when editing them. You can copy, paste. chope, storing diferent versions of the same sample resampled, having several notes of the same sample, lots of sounds to work with, then, erasing what does not work, and keep improving and editing.....
the SP 808ex is already an old sampler with around 10 years. Shipped from factory it can sample 1 hour of stereo at 44mhz. At 32, on mono, can sample almost 3 hours...

You sure do talk a lot for a new guy.
Plenty of people can do more with those 2.4 megs than you can with 20 gigs, so quit s**t talking gear just because you don't have the creativity to work around limitations.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.