looping sampler : a hardware ableton

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
BoxPhenom

looping sampler : a hardware ableton

Post by BoxPhenom » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi guys!

I'm looking for a sampler that will loop short and multiple bar length phrases from my synths, I need it to do the following :

-start and stop loop recordings on time with the beat, similar to how Ableton works

-receive midi clock so it can start/stop on time and not run out of sync.

-having a few separate outs would be a big plus, maybe not essential

-I don't need hours of sample time, but I'd like for storage methods to be "modern"

-I don't need sequencing or effects, but I don't mind if they're present in the unit.

-sound quality is not really an issue

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me start my research by naming a few units to investigate, I will gladly report back.

Sorry for the noob question, I haven't used a sampler since 1999 or something.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Re: looping sampler : a hardware ableton

Post by plikestechno » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:56 pm

A producer friend of mine swears by this little guy. The Electrix Repeater.

http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/re ... eater.html
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:23 am

does the electrix repeater have a way of storing/loading samples? I thought it was just a live looper thing..

I'd say the kaoss pad 3.
you'll probably want 2 though..- you can save loops to SD card, but you have to stop all 4 of the loops to load new ones. 2 kp3s means you can keep loops going on one while the other one switches, and it also means you get 8 loops!

the max length of loops is 4 bars.. you can do cool s**t that ableton can't do as well, like chopping bits out of the loop, sliding individual loops forward/back in time by 32nd notes.

you can change the way the loops will trigger - you can have them so they're always running in time, and turning them on/off just mutes them.. or you can have it so when you hit it it triggers it from the start.

MIDI sync is fine since the OS2.0 upgrade,

...and then there's all the sweet effects you can apply! (more looping in the fx as well!)

If you want to see what the KP3 is capable of, check out beardyman on youtube.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:08 am

Repeater saves everything on SD cards as well.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Check out the Roland SP-555. I've never owned one, but I've owned and loved several of the other SP series samplers, and the 555 is just like those plus it has some live looping capabilities. It's not so cheap, but I think it will do what you want.

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:17 pm

Akai MPC?

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:27 pm

an mpc1000?
BoxPhenom wrote:Hi guys!
hi montrealer,
I'm looking for a sampler that will loop short and multiple bar length phrases from my synths, I need it to do the following :

-start and stop loop recordings on time with the beat, similar to how Ableton works
quantisize note press and release
-receive midi clock so it can start/stop on time and not run out of sync.
yep, 2 in, 2out
-having a few separate outs would be a big plus, maybe not essential
6 outs
-I don't need hours of sample time, but I'd like for storage methods to be "modern"
don't upgrade the memory, plus you have a compact flash slot
-I don't need sequencing or effects, but I don't mind if they're present in the unit.
there is, more with jjos
-sound quality is not really an issue
but it's fine
I'd really appreciate if someone could help me start my research by naming a few units to investigate, I will gladly report back.
you're welcome
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:35 am

Here's the key bit -
BoxPhenom wrote:multiple bar length phrases
I think this rules out the MPC1000 at least. Not sure about the others, I don't think the KP2 will do this either.

Maybe check out the Electro Harmonix 2880? Not sure if it'll do this but I'd be interested to know.

EDIT - of course you can loop different length phrases with an MPC but it means doing all your individual samples and then sequencing them. To me this sounds more like a live looping type application. On the fly sampling and instant looping - amirite?