Needing a sampler

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
namehere

Needing a sampler

Post by namehere » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi, I'm looking for something like a sampler that can loop live material. I do not want a sampler that deals w/computers because I will be making my own samples. I am looking for a sampler possibly loop pedal, Im not really sure which would be better, that is $300 or lower. I do want effects and I want to be able to have the option of controlling the loops separately. I'm currently supporting a kp3 and microkorg, w/cheap yamaha wrkstation.

I need a sampler that I can run my microkorg and kp3 in simultaneously and to be able to loop. I've looked into the Korg electribes and the Roland SP-808's. If someone can just throw me into a direction of where to start. Again, I do use a kp3 but I want to be able to have longer loops and also to control effects on separate loops.

Thx for the help.

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Re: Needing a sampler

Post by Dj Pound » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:15 am

You already have the Kp3 and the Microkorg the next logical step is definetly a korg ESX-1 :mrgreen:
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

namehere

Post by namehere » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Now this esx-1, which I have looked into, is a sampler and drum machine? And what is the difference between that and the emx-1??
I'm looking to be able to loop several sounds from my keyboard. At the same time, I want to be able to control each one of these parameters and to be able to tweak them and use different effects on them live. This is one thing about the kp3 I do not like where one can loop different sounds with different effects but playing live it really doesn't work smoothly. The kp3 is still a great sampler in its own although I want more sampling time in the next sample I get. How much time does the esx-1 have in it?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:19 pm

the problem Pound is that the ESX1 is not so aimed to sample looping.

On the ESX you can't loop stereo samples, only mono. And you cannot use the loop functions inside the percussion tracks, only on the keyboard tracks, and if you change the pitch there, it won't keep the same lenght, only on the slice track...

is more a sample mangler for shorty samples. For looping is always better to have wave graphic display (in order to visually find the start and end points) But it's a very nice sampler indeed! but.,,, it's over $300

ESX can store 256 mono samples, and 128 stereo samples. But before using all those locations, you'll surely run out of memory....

The SP 808ex is a phrase sampler. You CANNOT mangle or edit samples like on romplers or the ESX1, but, is extremely easy to loop.

SP808ex, can store 1024 stereo samples on 16 banks (16x64).

It's difficult to run out of memory, with 1 hour 3 minutes of stereo samples at 16bit. It also can sample at 12bit.

The effect section is the best one on that range price. BTW, is the best effects section I've seen on a Roland product on the last 10 years. 150 different effects preset, and you can store effects settings, as if they were patches.

The configuration and concept of the SP 808 is hard to understant at the beggining, because it's quite original and unique for this sampler.

there are 150 user effects. I mean, you can take the preset effects, and create something like patches with them. 100% programmable and twekeable, they are deep and have lots of categories. And inside the effect section there is a vocoder and a VA synth.

For looping, you just press any sample pad, and press hold. It will keep looping until you press the pad again. Specifying the start and end point of the loop is extremely easy.

With the modwheel, specify the tempo, then the number of measures, and search on the screen the start point, place over it and ready.

It's extremely easy to use and it's multifunctional. I have two of them, I use them as mixers for live acts, they can process and sample two inputs at the same time, add effects to the line in, and leave the samples dry or viceversa, you can even monitor the samples with headphones, and they won't sound on the main output, or viceversa, hear the line in without sending it to the main output, and play the samples.

Also, it has a Virtual analog synth with two oscillators and very decent filters.

For me, it's the perfect live act and loop sampler.... for a very reasonable price

I even use it to record my tracks. Since you can "sample" an entire hour without stopping the record mode. Then. i send the .wav archive to my pc.

limitations:

noisy zip drive. sometimes that buzzing drives me nuts.
only 4 samples polyphony.
only 1 effect at the ttime.
100.000 notes sequencer is sssssllllllooooowwwww saving data when you finish recording.

pros:

superb, amazing effect section.
multifunctional: it's a sequencer, a line in complex processor, a mixer, a virtual analog, a sampler..
very easy to edit samples on functions like chopping, copy-paste, erasing, duplicating.
Last edited by balma on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:48 am

Yeah, the SP-808 is a very capable machine. I have the SP-606 which is similar and have most (?) of the same functions as the 808. It doesn't have as many effects, but it does have two efx blocks (there's one in the 808 if I remember correctly).

A plus here is compact flash cards (no buzzing) instead of zip (although it's limited at 512mb cards, which are out of production - here ebay is your friend :)

I would look very closely at the new SP-555 sampler. It can resample entire patterns, has much longer sampling time and better polyphony (12 mono - 6 stereo). The efx are also implemented slightly different, and the 555's solution may be better for live use - check out some vids on youtube for more on this.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:55 pm

I have the roland sp555 and overall I LOVE it. Get a $15 flash card and you have like 8 hours of sample time.
As mentioned, good polyphony and imo a great effect section - ring mod, guitar amp sim (decent!), decimators, slicers. D-beam synth is kinda goofy, but I like using it for the LPF/HPF with some wild hand waving.
A few things i hate about it

-no pattern recording; only real time. No way to visually fix a track, hold down a pad to delete from track
-no songs, only patterns - you chain patterns by hitting the next one in sequence
-the quantize - eh - I swear it's iffy. Good timing helps alot
-loading samples one by one by card (you can do a mass import but its a little tricky, I blew away some banks by accident)

You can run your mircrokorg into your KP3, then run that into the SP555. Then, it's almost unlimited. Another cool sp555 feature is a loop recorder - it can do 4 bars or 15 seconds at a certain tempo and let you endlessly track on top of it, then assign it to a pad. There is no limit on a regular sample length besides your card capacity.

Totally worth it if you can find for under 400.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:37 pm

Now this guy can't be serious with this price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/guitarfrenzi-Roland ... .m20.l1116

That's a steal....

I just saw last week one on $250.

I have two SP808, I paid $280 for the last one, it has the SCSI digital expansion board so it can sample with optical cable or digital, and has a line out for each track of the 4 polyphony....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Post by diezdiazgiant » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:29 pm

I would go with a roland sp series. Or a behringer ddm4000 yeah its a mixer but its looper is nice and simple and to the point
blunted daydreaming

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:39 pm

+1 on the Roland SP recos. I once tried to use an electribe sampler and I loved its features as a sampling drum machine but the looping features just aren't there so I sold it.

Dj Pound
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:45 pm

Looping as in single cycle wave loops? or looping as in looping a 4 bar sample?
...........The 808 does sound good for lengthy samples and such, but as a self contained unit, the lack of a compotent sequencer kinda takes it down a notch :?
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:02 pm

I think that in this thread looping means phrase looping, because the OP mentioned a loop pedal. I think.

namehere

Post by namehere » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:57 am

Sorry I haven't got back to you guys in awhile. Thanks for all the input. What I'm saying, and I'm no pro in the jargon spoken w/samplers just to make clear, but I need a sampler/looper, not sure of the difference yet, preferably $300 and under. I want to be able to loop say for example a drum pattern, deep piano notes, and a synth, but also be able to tweak each of these parameters individually w/effects, possibly tempo too, all in real-time/live. Like I said, I do have a Kp3 but I've found limitations. First off, I don't want a sampler where you have to record it in a certain time period cuz some of patterns I'd like to be able to do can be longer than the 16 steps that a kp3 offers. Also, I could have four loops going on and say I'd want to add delay on the drum patterns then it would put delay on all of the loops, which I don't like. The Roland SP 808ex sounds very nice and is ultimately what I would want but I have a low budget. What's the next best thing? Would something like a digitech jamman loop/phrase pedal do the job??

Dj Pound
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:09 am

Im still really not sure what you want. But I will say that if you want to make complete compositions with lots of automation and tons of recordable tweakability the ESX is the way too go. I dont know much about the 808 other than what Balma and others have said about it, but having said that its apparent that the sequencer in that machine is lacking.

Just my opinion/2 cents :mrgreen:
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

namehere

Post by namehere » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:13 am

Argh, its cuz I don't know the jargon.
So you really think the esx1 is the way to go??

Dj Pound
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:51 am

Really just depends on what you want to do. IMHO the ESX is a perfect machine for sound manipulation, recordable automation and song construction. I mean its as easy as pie, and tons of fun too boot! Not to mention the internal keyboard capabilities and the slice and dice possibilities, loops, one shots or otherwise....Its killer.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532