Later E-mu sampler questions (E6400/EIII, ESI, etc.)

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Later E-mu sampler questions (E6400/EIII, ESI, etc.)

Post by D-Collector » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:45 pm

braincandy wrote:Graham,

Already spoke with JD (very helpful and responsive on e-mails) earlier today and have a cd-rom on the way. I picked up one of the approved HD's on E-mu's list for cheap, too, so I'll be set when everything arrives. I might get a CF card reader later, but I'm nearly skint at the moment, so I just went with the HD for now. Cheers.
I bought an NDISK 9GB from him for my ESI-32 this summer. He is very helpful and the shipping was fast. Installation was quick and easy. I took detailed pictures of every step of the installation. JD was going to use them in future editions of his ESI install guide, as this was obviously the first time someone had purchased the NDISK for ESI-32. I chose to replace the floppy drive, instead of making a mount for it over the mainboard which involves drilling additional holes in the casing. The ESI found the drive right away and formatted in an hour or so. Then I connected the SCSI cd drive and transfered my favourite banks to the HD. It works great and makes no noise. The ESI has certainly been given new life. :D

I'm happy to recommend his business to everyone who is looking for a disk drive solution for their sampler.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:05 pm

braincandy wrote:I just installed 128 MB of sample RAM from an eBay vendor and it shows up correctly on the E-mu. The RAM was made by IBM so maybe that makes a difference?
That may be. The second pair I bought was actually from two different manufacturers (!). This is a no-no when it comes to RAM. However, my problem wasn't that the RS7000 couldn't access the RAM - it just resulted in faulty behaviour. Sometimes it worked fine, other times it would freeze on me, sometimes it refused to save my projects etc. Hope everything works out for you, with IBM chips you should be fine.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Do any of you gig with your E-mus? I'm about to begin collaborating with some other musicians in the area and I'll likely be taking my controller keyboard + 1 rack unit wherever I go, and I think the E-mu would give me the most flexibility once I load in my samples. Just wanted to get your thoughts on its sturdiness/stability outside of the house/studio.

Just did the update to OS 4.7 and it couldn't have been any easier. Thanks to Ashe37 for the floppies. :occasion5:
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:24 am

Question: I'm on my 2nd IDE drive (the first wouldn't power up). This drive powers up, but isn't recognized anywhere. Is there a mounting procedure somewhere or a command that I'm missing?
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

colmon

Post by colmon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:13 am

anyone got specs for the EIII XP rack? cannot seem to find anything on google. also, opinions?

rlm00
Gear: Roland JD-990, Yamaha TG-77, Access Virus Indigo, Ensoniq SQ-80, Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha A5000, Emu E4XT

Post by rlm00 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:05 am

about the hard drives, I installed a laptop hard drive in my Yamaha A5000 a couple years ago following the advice from a few users on the yahoo group and it was a great idea. it is whisper quiet compared to the old standard ide or scsi drives and cost me about $10-15 for a 10gig drive in perfect condition. If you decide to go this route though try looking into any compatibility issues as with Yamaha at least there are certain models that work and others that don't.

colmon

Post by colmon » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 pm

anyone? there's literally nothing about this thing on the internet.

is it just the rack version of the EIII?

what does the XP denote?

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:02 pm

It plays, but does not sample.

There are no analog filters in it - it is pure digital.

google "emulator IIIXP"

cheers,
Ian

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:39 pm

yes thanks, but i'm quite familiar with the website "google". like i said, after extensive googling i cannot find any specs for this thing. all i've found is some sonicstate user reviews

what do you mean it "plays, but does not sample"? so it's a rompler?

does it have egs? lfos?

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Check this

http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Archives ... _iiix.html
It's not very complete. There seems to be a link to a manual, but I haven't tried it.
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?

colmon

Post by colmon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:14 am

digital inputs only! that's insane

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:19 am

If it supports SMDI, which I tend to think it does, then you can upload any samples you want. So it becomes less of a limitation...

From what i understand, these machines are cheaper digital versions of the EIII. But knowing E-Mu since the 80's, there digital filters sound really really good.
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:48 am

colmon wrote:yes thanks, but i'm quite familiar with the website "google".
But clearly you're no Jedi :mrgreen:

colmon

Post by colmon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:03 am

yeah that does look rather snarky in retrospect. apologies!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:59 am

LOL! No worries :)