Quick Roland SP404 question

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Quick Roland SP404 question

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:12 am

Probably not going to pick up another sampler for quite a while, but I am considering a sp404 to eventually replace my es1. Anyway does the sp404 have the ability to pitch a sample up and down in a purely traditional manner? By this I mean the ability to adjust pitch without using any sort of time stretch or pitch adjustment algorithm; basically just adjusting both the time and pitch simultaneously as you would with most samplers. I've already watched the youtube videos and downloaded the manual, neither really seem to mention this.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Quick Roland SP404 question

Post by kuroichi » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:18 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:Probably not going to pick up another sampler for quite a while, but I am considering a sp404 to eventually replace my es1. Anyway does the sp404 have the ability to pitch a sample up and down in a purely traditional manner? By this I mean the ability to adjust pitch without using any sort of time stretch or pitch adjustment algorithm; basically just adjusting both the time and pitch simultaneously as you would with most samplers. I've already watched the youtube videos and downloaded the manual, neither really seem to mention this.
put bluntly no.

It can pitch up and down. But not the way you would normally be able to do so. I got one a few weeks ago and from I can gather it seems best at sampling things like drum loops etc. It's not good at all for melodic sampling.

There is a pitch effect that will pitch up or down making the sample shorter ot longer like how most samplers work. But it can only be applied to one sound at a time. So to use it on multiple sound you would have to resample.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:48 pm

No.

Have had 2. Stick with the electribe, unless you like that mind numbing interface thing Roland has going on.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:59 pm

Definately agree with what tallow said, you would regret it if you replaced your electribe wth one...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks for the warning, I'm extremely finicky about samplers, and I really like the es1 despite its limitations. I resoldered the outputs a bit last night and that seems to have helped. The outputs where basically shorting out if the audio cables coming out the back where moved even the slightest bit. Now it takes a firm rightward push for this to happen. The ES1 should be fine for now, unless I violently knock into it.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.