modding/upgrading the ESX

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
diezdiazgiant
Gear: a computer and some odd bits of junk and microphones
Band: jizzflap f**k

Re: modding/upgrading the ESX

Post by diezdiazgiant » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Here's a guy using it to good effect to in effect, dj

Hip hop

Breakcore type ish

I think these guys are clearly demoing that you can write and perform very varied and lively patterns despite "limited sampling time" and the other typical reasons give as to why they can't write good music on the machine
blunted daydreaming

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:54 pm

diezdiazgiant wrote:Here's a guy using it to good effect to in effect, dj

Hip hop

Breakcore type ish

I think these guys are clearly demoing that you can write and perform very varied and lively patterns despite "limited sampling time" and the other typical reasons give as to why they can't write good music on the machine
I liked a lot the first one... :dancer: . very nice groove, specially liked the transitions and bridges he does.

But I'm going to upload some electribe esx-1 solo performances this week in order to show the busiest hands you have seen over an Electribe ESX. If you don't like it, I'll quit from the sampler forum and will become a troll and will stop bothering tallowaters.... :oops:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Harlem Nights wrote:One of my own vids mainly on the ESX:

Oh yes... you really know the Electribe ESx and are very fast with it. I watched your teaching videos on the Lounge threads.

I like this one a lot, it has the short delay that I like to tweak so much on bridges:

His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:20 pm

I know this thread is old/dead, but I had to post that I finally got around to replacing the noisy/hiss EHX tubes with some nice Tung Sol 12AX7s.

Ok first off, with the old tubes, it did distort kinda nicely (depends on taste) but above about 30% the noise floor and hiss was really annoying - common I guess - but not in a good lofi, vinyl way, more like a non-grounded sh*t hiss.

New tubes- first off, the distortion is almost gone ; this is fine for me but industrial ppl way not want that.
I can crank the tube gain to 100% with virtually NO hiss or noise at ALL. This blew my mind a little. The new tube distortion (very light imo) is more like a clean cranked tube guitar amp; present, harmonic, punchy.

I have a new respect for the ESX sound given the change, and it will definitely encourage me to try some new samples through the tubes.

Harlem Nights

Post by Harlem Nights » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:04 pm

I had replaced them for JJ tubes, these don't distort at all, just fatten it up, indeed way more dynamics and much less hiss - love it too still

somebedroomdj

Post by somebedroomdj » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:52 pm

Main niggle with this box for me is, as was mentioned earlier, that 128 of your sample slots will ONLY take stereo. But it's not too hard to work around it... As far as my ESX knows, I have less than 50 samples loaded. But in reality, I've got about 400 drum samples and a handful of others. It's all about pounding out your drums with as little time in between them as possible and saving the samples with the slice option applied. ESX stores them as one sample but then you've got X amount of slices (read: drum hits) that you can assign to a pad just as any normal sample. A bank of 16 drum hits should cost you only about 5 seconds of sampling time if you do it right.

Also waaaaay easier to navigate 50 banks of similar sounds than to scroll through 300 samples every time you want to assign something.
Tempest | Deluge | BSII | FR Revolution | SP-16
MPC Live for sale, $850 + shipping

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:49 pm

Are there other groovebox/sampler thingies that give do the "Motion Sequence" trick of recording the motion of the knob?

I need to upgrade from the ES-1 because its SmartCard drive is shot, making loading samples a chore. The Machinedrum probably does but $. Any other similar machines?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:09 am

GuyaGuy wrote:Are there other groovebox/sampler thingies that give do the "Motion Sequence" trick of recording the motion of the knob?

I need to upgrade from the ES-1 because its SmartCard drive is shot, making loading samples a chore. The Machinedrum probably does but $. Any other similar machines?
The EMu Commands Stations all do, but they don't sample. They're really cheap though.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:45 am

nothing as cheap as the korgs..

machinedrum UW, MPC1000..

*edit*

RS7000 maybe?

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:01 am

cartesia wrote:nothing as cheap as the korgs..

machinedrum UW, MPC1000..

*edit*

RS7000 maybe?
Oh I didn't know that MPC could. Those can be had for $500 used which puts them in the Electribe price range.

Thanks!

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:38 am

My ESX came "upgraded" with 12AX7EH Electro Harmonix 0412 tubes, they seem fine, never noticed any hiss but wasn't able to compare them with the originals. They seem pretty clean tho, not as warm and fuzzy as I expected tubes to be, and makes me think just mainly gimmicky, could of got the same with a digital amp effect, just wont look as cool.

If you get your hands on the RS, you should love it over the ESX. I only got the ESX cause it was really cheap temporary fun, some cool little things about it, but the RS7000 murders it. You'll still have to deal SM cards, but I've used the same 64meg one for years with no trouble (knock on wood) copying files back and forth to my computer with a SM reader.

I kind of wish I found an EMX instead of the ESX for cheap, but well I can't complain too much, it was cheap and I have fun with it from time to time.

The flanged sides are pretty ugly on it, great if you drop it in a cut out on a table top or something, but may be a cool mod to just grind that ugly lip off the sucker.
Last edited by Zamise on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:59 am

Zamise wrote:My ESX came "upgraded" with 12AX7EH Electro Harmonix 0412 tubes, they seem fine, never noticed any hiss but wasn't able to compare them with the originals. They seem pretty clean tho, not as warm and fuzzy as I expected tubes to be, and makes me think just mainly gimmicky, could of got the same with a digital amp effect, just wont look as cool.

If you get your hands on the RS, you should love it over the ESX. I only got the ESX cause it was really cheap temporary fun, some cool little things about it, but the RS7000 murders it. You'll still have to deal SM cards, but I've used the same 64meg one for years with no trouble (knock on wood) copying files back and forth to my computer with a SM reader.

I kind of wish I found an EMX instead of the ESX for cheap, but well I can't complain too much, it was cheap and I have fun with it from time to time.

The flanged sides are pretty ugly on it, great if you drop it in a cut out on a table top or something, but may be a cool mod to just grind that ugly lip off the sucker.
On my EMX (which has the original tubes) there is a tin y little notch between 'warming' and hiss. I have replacement tubes but haven't tired them.

The flanged sides would make a lot more sense if the unit was 19" wide :D

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Are there other groovebox/sampler thingies that give do the "Motion Sequence" trick of recording the motion of the knob?
The RS7000 does, although I wasn't too impressed it is very steppy- (at least on the filter or res)

If you can figure out a good workflow to sample on the RS7000 (I use mine just for drums samples usually) it is a killer piece. Also, stock drums are very decent, as are some bass/lead/sfx rompler stuff.

Mecanikill

Post by Mecanikill » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:09 pm

I have been using the Esx for a while now heres some video of it in action live with me.