Elektron Octatrack

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Elektron Octatrack

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:19 am

Woooow!! Did you see this demo of the Octatrack?
http://www.gear4music.com/tv/article/Mu ... 2010-03-25

Amazing.... And not too expensive either. I really can't see myself not getting this baby ;)
And it reads samples directly from CF cards. On the V-Synth, samples have to be encoded before they can be timestretched and pitch shifted in 'real time', but on the Octatrack it really is done on the fly. Yea! :D

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Elektron Octatrack

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:21 am

Oh, should've posted in the 'sampler' forum, sorry about that. Just got so excited :)

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:34 am

Or you could have checked the Messe thread or the Octatrack thread that is on page 2. I dunno $1,600 isn't all that cheap. I was hoping for it to be $200 less but still I kind of want one. Octatrack + Turntables = :D(Or Octatrack + MDUW + MnM)
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:08 am

sheeee-it...for live use this could be one of the greatest things ever. 64 GB available on-the-fly? load up all the backing tracks - still thoroughly tweakable - and run synths and vocals whatever alongside live. CAKE.

this thing may be the answer to my dreams....here's hoping it's immediate like an ESX but more flexible and if it can truly import samples on-the-fly and sync 'em up Acid-style [and MULTITRACKED] then that's a great improvement to the workflow compared to other hardware machines.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:02 am

It looks awesome and like a perfect live tool, it's nice elektron really listened what everyone wanted. If only other companies would do that.

So yeah I hate using computers and this looks great, there really aren't a lot options for midi synced sampler/sequencers.

My number #1 worry is that is will have that elektron sound... cold and digital, harsh and thin, uninspiring to me and very very digital. Just listening to that little clip on youtube sounds makes me nervous I'm not gonna like the sound characteristics. But hey Ableton sounds like c**p compared to any decent DAW

I think I'll probably buy one though!
for sale/trade: EML-101

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:39 am

the "good" sound is all in the filters, and it requires some time to get past the initial cold, digital, thin sound. in my ears, they sound well, and the warmth coming out of my machinedurm really suprised me after a few months of getting used tohow it works. I have no doubts that the Octatrack will be just as awesome, and indeed the perfect third product to compliment the MD and MnM :) can't wait to do live work with that trio :)

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:15 pm

shaft9000 wrote:sheeee-it...for live use this could be one of the greatest things ever. 64 GB available on-the-fly? load up all the backing tracks - still thoroughly tweakable - and run synths and vocals whatever alongside live. CAKE.

this thing may be the answer to my dreams....here's hoping it's immediate like an ESX but more flexible and if it can truly import samples on-the-fly and sync 'em up Acid-style [and MULTITRACKED] then that's a great improvement to the workflow compared to other hardware machines.
Yeah this looks like the live tool i've been waiting for. the demo vid certainly seems to indicate that you can stream samples off the card (no loading times or internal-memory limitations).

I wish there were more details about the sequencer - I think its just a step sequencer and not a full-featured polyphonic multitrack sequencer?

I12

Post by I12 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:38 pm

My number #1 worry is that is will have that elektron sound... cold and digital, harsh and thin, uninspiring to me and very very digital.

Seriously, you dont know how to use them if thats the case!
Dont bother its not worth it!

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:04 am

StepLogik wrote:I wish there were more details about the sequencer - I think its just a step sequencer and not a full-featured polyphonic multitrack sequencer?
Yeah, I'm wondering as well just how capable the sequencer is. According to Electron's website it should be considerably upgraded from previous verisons in their other products.
Damn, this thing looks amaaaaaazing! I love my RS7000, but kinda hope the Octatrack can retire the ol' Yamaha.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:33 am

nadafarms wrote:My number #1 worry is that is will have that elektron sound... cold and digital, harsh and thin, uninspiring to me and very very digital. But hey Ableton sounds like c**p compared to any decent DAW
It took me a while to "warm up" to the MDUW(ba-dum-tish). The MnM feels more digital to me but that's fine and I dig it for what it is. If someone is hardcore analog I can see why they wouldn't want to get into Elektron gear because it takes a little while to get into them.

Maybe they should do a Linndrum II sorta thing and make a digital and analog version of the Octatrack. Analog filter bank? Word! :D

Ableton sounds like c**p? Have we entered some new era now where we compare how organic DAWs sound? :| Whatever I record into Ableton sounds fine to me. Haters gonna hate. :keys1:

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:25 am

nadafarms wrote:But hey Ableton sounds like c**p compared to any decent DAW
Sounds like you don't know how and when to use the warping. Used properly it sounds the same as any other DAW. Earlier versions had mix engines that weren't as good, but version 8 is much better.
nadafarms wrote:I think I'll probably buy one though!
That goes without saying. How long until you flip it though? I'm guessing under a week. :)

griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by griffin avid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:18 pm

My number #1 worry is that is will have that elektron sound... cold and digital, harsh and thin, uninspiring to me and very very digital. Just listening to that little clip on youtube sounds makes me nervous I'm not gonna like the sound characteristics.

The fact that it's a Sampler should remove 95% of the responsibility from the machine. I'd like to know all the 'hands on' kind of stuff like how the pads feel (small, but good?) or how easy it will be to do realtime recording.
The quality of the onboard effects/filters. How easy organizing sounds/folders/samples will be on a 64 gig card.

Even the naming system and that kind of info is mostly for in studio use.
I'd even like to know how it works witrh actaul drum kits and does that eat up a track per sound.

It still looks like a lot of knob turing for minimal changes. I'm sure there's some kind of scaling to your edits, but that's two videos where the guy seems to be turning forever to get something noticable going.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:32 pm

that is one thing I don't really like too, the knobs take forever to turn, and it jumps between values if you press down the encoder while turning.. sometimes I miss the encoders on the ESX for simple things like a fast manual filter sweep. good for detailed editing, not so good for live use.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:39 pm

So when is someone going to make a sort of Serato hardware version? The Pioneer CDJ 2000 is close but if it had some Octatrack features what a monster that would be.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:23 pm

Well, it's a sampler. It has "your" sound, that's what I love from samplers, most of the times, you can't blame those machines for having a 'c**p sound'. But a nice quality engine helps a lot....

It's quite interesting, but I would have a better and DEEP look to it, before investing $1600 on it. With that money I could but 4 electribes, but when I remember how rigid are the Electribe ESX on the sequencer resolution (only 1/16 or 1/32) I discard having more than one, and still wanting another sampler for live. But Jesus, $1600 for that box is a lot. I wonder if those guys visited this section....

I want an answer from another company, with half the price and analog filters....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma