Elektron Octatrack

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
casimirsblake
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: Elektron Octatrack

Post by casimirsblake » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:37 pm

nadafarms wrote:It looks awesome and like a perfect live tool, it's nice elektron really listened what everyone wanted. If only other companies would do that.
Can it chromatically sample, like an ESX keyboard part? If not, that makes it useless to compose with.

nadafarms wrote:But hey Ableton sounds like c**p compared to any decent DAW
Five minutes since I joined, and I already see a retarded post. Not a good start, VSE.

Many "decent DAWs" can't even mix multiple sample-rate and resolution format audio, which makes Ableton a great environment for mastering. Try not to talk out of your arse too much.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:11 pm

casimirsblake wrote:
nadafarms wrote:It looks awesome and like a perfect live tool, it's nice elektron really listened what everyone wanted. If only other companies would do that.
Can it chromatically sample, like an ESX keyboard part? If not, that makes it useless to compose with.
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with what he said....

I don't think the Octatrack is much of a compositional tool from what Ive seen, but that's only what we know up to now I guess.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:43 pm

i'm tempted to sell the MD-UW i have left and buy the UW+ version instead, as for the octatrack it just doesn't appeal to me so far.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

casimirsblake
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by casimirsblake » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:56 pm

kuroichi wrote:
casimirsblake wrote:
Yeah, but that has nothing to do with what he said....

I don't think the Octatrack is much of a compositional tool from what Ive seen, but that's only what we know up to now I guess.
Perhaps I hadn't elucidated enough. Not everyone wants a loop box. I would buy this in an instant if it could play samples in the same fashion as ESX keyboard parts. But no, so far it looks like Elektron HAVEN'T listened to that feature request. Hence my comment has everything to do with what Nadafarms says: they haven't listened to "what EVERYONE wanted". So, um, back off?

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:04 pm

balma wrote:Well, it's a sampler. It has "your" sound, that's what I love from samplers, most of the times, you can't blame those machines for having a 'c**p sound'. But a nice quality engine helps a lot....

It's quite interesting, but I would have a better and DEEP look to it, before investing $1600 on it. With that money I could but 4 electribes, but when I remember how rigid are the Electribe ESX on the sequencer resolution (only 1/16 or 1/32) I discard having more than one, and still wanting another sampler for live. But Jesus, $1600 for that box is a lot. I wonder if those guys visited this section....

I want an answer from another company, with half the price and analog filters....
well, I'd rather have my Machinedrum UW over 4 electribes any day, and that's after owning and loving the ESX for over four years, and the ER and EA before. it's like saying "I'd rather by a $400 Mopho than a $2000 voyager". both analogue monos, but the comparason ends there. my ESX was the backbone of my studio, and I never thought I'd find anything that could replace it. enter Machinedrum UW and I haven't touched the ESX since. In fact, now that the Octatrack is coming, I can't see any reason to hold on to the ESX any longer... the octatrack so far seems like everything I wished the ESX was. It will cost you $1600, but you'll need $3000 of other hardware to even come close (based on the assumption that the Octa will be to samplers what the Machinedrum is to drum machines and the monomachine is to synths)

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:22 pm

casimirsblake wrote:Five minutes since I joined, and I already see a retarded post. Not a good start, VSE.
Welcome to the internet.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:45 am

There is a Q&A on the Octatrack on http://elektron-users.com/. That auto BPM sounds great. Tons of effects? Right on.

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:10 am

Dear Roger,

Take note and add an analog filter....
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

I12

Post by I12 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:35 am

RobotHeroes wrote:There is a Q&A on the Octatrack on http://elektron-users.com/. That auto BPM sounds great. Tons of effects? Right on.
that clears up a few things

certainly interesting
Dont bother its not worth it!

snsr
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by snsr » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:33 pm

casimirsblake wrote:Five minutes since I joined, and I already see a retarded post. Not a good start, VSE.
Five minutes since you've joined and you're already whining? Not a good start, blake. :D You make a great point re: chromatic sampling though.

I think this thing looks sick. I haven't had a hardware sampler since the ES-1 years ago (except my WTPA?). I find Kontakt to be less than inspiring despite being very capable.

Edit - the possibilities for insanity this thing presents are amazing. Can't wait to find out more.

DGBX

Post by DGBX » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:30 pm

I just think about how awesome live-remixing would be. You could load whole tracks of a song in...chop up vocals and set them against different beats and synths

I'd love to have one. Now I'll just wait five years till people are selling them used.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:33 pm

DGBX wrote:I'll just wait five years till people are selling them used.
No you won't. Some of the regular gear lusters buy and sell stuff within a month. Just wait for one of them to get confused or bored with it.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:09 pm

casimirsblake wrote:
Five minutes since I joined, and I already see a retarded post. Not a good start, VSE.

Many "decent DAWs" can't even mix multiple sample-rate and resolution format audio, which makes Ableton a great environment for mastering. Try not to talk out of your arse too much.
5 minutes since you've been here and you already look like you are trolling.

Granted, it was a dumb post, but I don't think I'm going to let you continue to accuse somebody of talking out of their a*s.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

I12

Post by I12 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:19 am

RobotHeroes wrote:
DGBX wrote:I'll just wait five years till people are selling them used.
No you won't. Some of the regular gear lusters buy and sell stuff within a month. Just wait for one of them to get confused or bored with it.

More commonly known as the:

Surface Scratches Sale

In the dirt bike field it works similar but more like

Few Scratches Sale
"I want the biggest baddest bike possible" a few mths later when
its spat them off a few times or just scared the c**p out of them its up for sale,
unused scept for the said few scratches. :mrgreen:
Dont bother its not worth it!

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:58 pm

New vids featuring OT.

Elektron Presents The Trinity, Part I

Elektron Presents The Trinity, Part II

These videos don't really show much. My cautiously optimistic curiousity about the Octatrack remains unchanged.