Emulator EII Library

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Roberto
Gear: Fairlight CMI Series III|Alesis Fusion|Akai S6000-Z8-MPC1000-MPC500-MPK49|Korg Prophecy|Yamaha DTXpress|Roland SC88VL|Behringer UMA25S|Synsonics
Band: Failed Muso

Emulator EII Library

Post by Roberto » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:48 pm

So here I am again, embarking on another perennial mission to seek out the elusive EII library in order to use it on today's more modern tools :) This search has been kick started again by my acquisition of a long sought after library, that of the Fairlight CMI IIx which has just been released in Reason ReFill format....

http://powerfx.com/ProductInfo.aspx?prod_id=1721

I've been searching for this in a usable format for a long while, having had to make do with limited portions of the CMI IIx library made available in various places such as Hollow Sun's Nostalgia VSTi & Best Service's Cult Sampler. The Digital Domain/Pro Rec audio CD was ok, but far from perfect. So when Patrick Fildh managed to get hold of a CMI IIx, he sampled the h**l out of it, and created hundreds of programs and I'd thoroughly recommend it. I am in the process of trying to persuade him to port it across to other formats :)

So anyway, getting that library fired up the EII search again and it would seem that certain people on here and other places have made some progress, especially with the Emax library images from D-Collector and the EMXP application. I bought the Emax Collection from Digital Sound Factory some while back and found it to be very good, so it will be interesting to compare it to D-Collectors conversions.

From what I can gather, if someone had the EII images in SDII format, EMXP would be able to convert them to SF2? Is that correct or have I not fully understood?

If this is so, does anyone know where the EII disc images can be obtained from?

I know for a fact, having spoken to Tim Schwarz at Digital Sound Factory, that they have the EII library and do, at some point as yet unknown, plan to release it.

Like D-Collector, I have an insatiable desire for these old instruments, and the classic sounds contained within their respective libraries.

I hope that some of you esteemed guys here can bring me up to speed with what's available, what's possible and where to get it! :)

Kind Regards,

Rob
Failed Muso

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Re: Emulator EII Library

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Rob - I'm an EII owner and feel I need to point out that a huge chunk of the EII's signature sound was due to the rather unusual hybrid architecture of the instrument and this has the most amazing effect on what it samples and plays. It's almost like audio technicolor.

For this very reason, in my opinion, it is utter sacriledge to perform direct digital converions on these libraries. The EII must be in the audio path. Don't forget that the vast majority of the EII sample programs also made use of the EII's excellent synthesis abilites including it's lovely analog filters. These will surely be lost/distorted by direct conversion to non-hybrid samplers.

Even when EII owners imported their samples to their new EIIIs many complained that the samples sounded better on the EII. This is mostly to do with the EII's companding circuitry as the original EIII also had analog filters. The samples are 8 bit but the playback is companded to 12 bits. Playing the samples back in 8 bits on a 16 bit platform is never going to sound as nice and punchy as on the original.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:38 pm

Hi Roberto!
Roberto wrote:So when Patrick Fildh managed to get hold of a CMI IIx, he sampled the h**l out of it, and created hundreds of programs and I'd thoroughly recommend it. I am in the process of trying to persuade him to port it across to other formats :)
I hope you succeed, because reason refills are totally useless to me, or anyone who doesn't use reason. Such a stupid encrypted format... I would happily buy it if I could have it in kontakt or soundfont.
Roberto wrote:So anyway, getting that library fired up the EII search again and it would seem that certain people on here and other places have made some progress, especially with the Emax library images from D-Collector and the EMXP application. I bought the Emax Collection from Digital Sound Factory some while back and found it to be very good, so it will be interesting to compare it to D-Collectors conversions.
I must emphasize that I was just lucky to come across the site. All honor must go to the guys at http://www.silveriafamily.com for uploading those disc images in the first place. I merely converted them to soundfont with a program that was already available, in case there were any doubt. From what I can understand and hear in their demo clips, the soundfonts in the DSF collection should be no different than the ones I uploaded. Maybe they used emxpn too :lol:
Roberto wrote:From what I can gather, if someone had the EII images in SDII format, EMXP would be able to convert them to SF2? Is that correct or have I not fully understood?
From what I can gather from the interface, EMXPN should handle EII banks in the same way it handles EMAX banks, convert them / extract samples etc. But I am not sure, since I do not have any EII banks at all.
Roberto wrote:If this is so, does anyone know where the EII disc images can be obtained from?
There was a lot of talk in certain threads over at EIIIforum.com, but I see you have asked around there already... I am also very interested in getting these sounds in a more modern / DAW friendly format.
Roberto wrote:Like D-Collector, I have an insatiable desire for these old instruments, and the classic sounds contained within their respective libraries.
:drinks:

Roberto
Gear: Fairlight CMI Series III|Alesis Fusion|Akai S6000-Z8-MPC1000-MPC500-MPK49|Korg Prophecy|Yamaha DTXpress|Roland SC88VL|Behringer UMA25S|Synsonics
Band: Failed Muso

Post by Roberto » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:16 pm

Dan, D-Collector, thank you for your replies.

Dan, until someone takes the time and effort to sample the EII library from an EII directly so that us mere mortals can benefit, I'll take whatever I can get. Whilst I can't recreate the processing environment contained within an EII, I can take these sounds and apply some FX to bring them closer. Until then, this is all we have to play with. That, and certain choice sections of libraries that have a smattering of EII sounds.

Being an EII owner, have you considered the possibility of sampling your EII? Maybe something to occupy you after the Novachord? :)

D-Collector, I sympathise with you on the format front. I have a constant dialogue with the creator of the Fairlight Refill and I think I may be wearing him down! ;) One of the big problems in making libraries available in numerous formats is that it increases the risk of piracy. The minute something is made available in a common format, like .wav, it's easily ripped and then can be found on a myriad P2P sites and then your sales fall through the floor. Keeping your library in a proprietary format such as Refills helps protect your IP and the potential loss in sales to other formats is far less, in most cases, than making them available in an easily shared format. But I'll keep on keeping on at him! He's a fantastic guy and this particular library has taken 5 months of solid work so he's only now taking a short breather.

If you're into these retro sounds, and you don't already know, check out my blog as whenever I turn something new up (like your Emax stuff), it'll go straight on there :)

http://www.failedmuso.com/blog

Regards,

Rob.