E-mu Emulator II Sampled with Free Kontakt Samples!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Roberto
Gear: Fairlight CMI Series III|Alesis Fusion|Akai S6000-Z8-MPC1000-MPC500-MPK49|Korg Prophecy|Yamaha DTXpress|Roland SC88VL|Behringer UMA25S|Synsonics
Band: Failed Muso

Re: E-mu Emulator II Sampled with Free Kontakt Samples!

Post by Roberto » Sat May 01, 2010 6:11 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:
depulse wrote:Check http://www.samplerobot.de/english/was.htm

for automation of sampling
Thanks for the info.

I have spent this afternoon capturing and recreating one of the most beloved Emulator II sample disks ever released - direct from my EII's mix output. I will give details on how to download this wonder once it's gone through final testing and hosted.
Fan-chuffing-tastic news Dan!!! Cannot wait for this! :D Many, many thanks :)

depulse
Gear: List is too long, analog and digital synths and samplers....

Post by depulse » Wed May 05, 2010 9:06 am

Many thanks for the samples.

Korg TritonExtr+MOSSRoland XV5080+D550+MKS80+MKS70+MKS7+MKS50+S550+JP8080+Juno60+JD990, ATC1, ESQM Yamaha A5k+An1x+SY77+TG77+TX802+TX7 Akai S5k+MPC1k, Mopho, Blofeld, EMaxRack, NordRack2, Indigo2, Rogue, MD, Linndrum, Pro1, Drumulator, M1AM1, Pulse

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Wed May 05, 2010 9:26 pm

OMI Liquid Stack Bank Captured on OMI Founder's Original EII!!

I spent Friday afternoon capturing the infamous Emulator II Liquid Stack bank stored on one 5.25" floppy disk! :) I sampled this wonder direct from my beloved EII's mix output. This famous bank consists of 4 superb patches used in countless pop hits from the 80's.

The sound bank was originally distributed in 1986 on OMI's first CDROM release "Universe of Sounds Volume I" for the Emulator II. This was located on OMI disk 1 under the heading "Expensive Synth Strings". This was actually one of the first CDROMs ever made and OMI were instrumental in pioneering mass produced CDROM media. This was back in the days were most computers were nothing like fast enough to even write a CDROM at single speed, let alone at X28 speed!

Very sadly the CDROM drive used with the EII is bespoke and completely non-standard which means when these beasts die thats the end of it!

What was quite creepy about capturing this sample bank is that my Emulator II was originally owned by Allen Adkins, the founder of OMI!!

http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/History/Pio ... dkins.html

Although there are plenty of sample packs available of the EII's famous sounds most have been digitally transferred with the EII completely out of the loop. This is -such a shame- as the EII plays an extremely important part in shaping these sounds and adds a wonderful "colour" to these samples which really needs to be heard to appreciate it. This is in part due to the EII's 4 pole analog SSM filters and it's extremely unusual companded architecture. Furthermore - the EII didn't even have conventional ADCs but rather a discrete successive approximation circuit utilising one of the output channels as a ramp generator!!!

Here is my recreation of this wonderful sample bank in Kontakt and is one of so many really decent sounds OMI released way back in the mid 80s!

DOWNLOAD FOR KONTAKT:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/91rpai

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu May 06, 2010 12:40 am

dan would it be possible for you to provide an mp3 for those of us without Kontakt?
I would love to hear it.
btw, I recently picked up a beautiful condition Emulator lll.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Thu May 06, 2010 8:03 am

seamonkey wrote:dan would it be possible for you to provide an mp3 for those of us without Kontakt?
I would love to hear it.
btw, I recently picked up a beautiful condition Emulator lll.
OK.... will do...

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon May 10, 2010 10:11 pm

I've taken the liberty to throw together some sloppy playing. No effects added.

http://www.theheartcore.com/music/eiikontakt.mp3

In this order: Marcato Strings - Bosendorfer - Liquid Stack 1, 2, 3, 4
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by HideawayStudio » Mon May 10, 2010 11:59 pm

Yoozer wrote:I've taken the liberty to throw together some sloppy playing. No effects added.

Hey nice one Yoozer!! You've really brought these classic sounds to life.

depulse
Gear: List is too long, analog and digital synths and samplers....

Post by depulse » Tue May 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Yoozer wrote:I've taken the liberty to throw together some sloppy playing. No effects added.

Great!

Thanks

Korg TritonExtr+MOSSRoland XV5080+D550+MKS80+MKS70+MKS7+MKS50+S550+JP8080+Juno60+JD990, ATC1, ESQM Yamaha A5k+An1x+SY77+TG77+TX802+TX7 Akai S5k+MPC1k, Mopho, Blofeld, EMaxRack, NordRack2, Indigo2, Rogue, MD, Linndrum, Pro1, Drumulator, M1AM1, Pulse

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 pm

thank you for taking the time to create these and give them away :)

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Tue May 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Fantastic! I love these samples, and you captured their essence and style perfectly in your playing.
Thank you. :-D
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Jvpiter8

Post by Jvpiter8 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:14 am

Thanks for sharing these samples.
I'm looking for a particular preset which is called Bass Synth and you can hear it on It's called a heart from Depeche or What is love from Howard Jones. Have you heard it ?

Thanks!!!!

Misonic

Post by Misonic » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:07 pm

are there any online sites with those emulator samples, they are just great...

i searched for half an hour and cant find anything for free...i cant bealive that nobody decided to make a sample cd out of this great machine...

thatx to the guys who submited the samples, if u have time please post more :)

thanx

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by JMP » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 pm

Misonic wrote:are there any online sites with those emulator samples, they are just great...
Doubt it, I think the few here completed by Hideaway Studio took a fair while to complete...
i searched for half an hour and cant find anything for free...i cant bealive that nobody decided to make a sample cd out of this great machine...
There's some CD stuff on Ebay but they appear to be reproductions of the later Emulator sounds that AFAIK aren't the same as the EII versions, largely due to the distinctive sound of the EII. Also, remember that Northstar still sell their sounds on original EII floppy disks so there will likely be copyright issues:

http://www.northstarsamples.com/EIIFloppies.html

There's aways this, presuming you don't want to hold out for an actual EII:

http://www.hollowsun.com/HS2/products/v ... /index.htm

the professor

Post by the professor » Thu May 07, 2015 8:31 am

If anyone's still keen on getting EII sounds for Kontakt, we're currently hard at work on sampling the entire OMI Universe of Sounds library into Kontakt format. This is being done in partnership with the original sample creator, Doug Morton of Q-Up Arts, so these are both entirely copyright-legal and done with his blessing :D It's taking a long time to get the whole thing together – there are hundreds of disks to do – but if you're interested, perhaps bookmark our News page to keep track of it: http://www.rhythmicrobot.com/news We're sampling direct from a reconditioned EII, so the sound of the convertors is preserved; and we're sampling every single semitone of every single patch, so you get exactly the sonic fingerprint of the original instrument :) No cruddy batch conversions here!

(You can also grab a free Kontakt instrument from our site so you're on our mailing list, and that way we'll keep you posted.)

Best wishes,

The Professor (and Mongo)

http://www.rhythmicrobot.com ...pumping new voltage into old technology!
Rhythmic Robot Audio Kontakt instruments pumping new voltage into old technology!

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Sun May 10, 2015 5:26 pm

The OMI library is fantastic. They sure put a lot of effort into it. I'm glad you're working to keep it alive!
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.