I'm new to sampling and was wondering...

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
andrew13

I'm new to sampling and was wondering...

Post by andrew13 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:16 pm

how you can split up a song and assign it to a MIDI keyboard controllers keys. I'll try and explain what I mean some more. When you sort of get a song and put it on a MIDI keyboard controller but it's the whole song split up into little parts so if you press the D key it'll play part of a song but then if you play the D sharp, it plys the next part of the song and so on. I was wondering how you would do that on Ableton Live as I've only really been using it as a sequencer and haven't even begun exploring the sampling functions fully. Any help will be appreciated and thankyou very much :D
M-Audio oxygen 49, Microkorg, Alesis Micron.
I only wish I could own a Clavia Nord lead 2.

Hair

Re: I'm new to sampling and was wondering...

Post by Hair » Thu May 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Ableton Live actually makes that really easy to do in a multitude of ways: Click that big MIDI button in the upper right corner to go into MIDI map mode, click on any clip or scene, then click on the key you want to trigger it. Click the MIDI button again and you're good to go! Clips launch based on their, well, launch settings (latch, trigger, one shot etc) - the launch menu is the little (L) button in the (L) (/\/\) (E) buttons of any clip.

The other awesome thing in Live.. 7 or higher? - whichever one introduced the Drum Rack - is right clicking on any audio clip and hitting "Slice to New MIDI track". Choose your quantization and velocity options, and Live slices the loop into samples across a Drum Rack, which you can then trigger as a MIDI instrument to your heart's desire. Makes chopping drum loops (and anything else) absurdly easy. If the chop is slightly off, just go into the drum rack and you'll see that each sample is it's own Simpler device, so you can edit each one to your heart's desire, be it a simple tweaking of the start point, or diving in deeper.

I don't really have any experience doing any of that stuff with hardware samplers, but I believe MPCs are quite suited to that kind of task, no?

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri May 07, 2010 11:00 pm

An MPC will just slice the waveform up in 16 equal parts or so (at least, that's what my MPC1000 did; perhaps it does more with the JJ OS) while Live will make educated guesses in terms of transients.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sat May 08, 2010 12:01 am

Use this

edit: his preset is available here - http://www.ableton.com/skibeatz

gosh

Post by gosh » Wed May 12, 2010 1:00 pm

an MPC also has the option to use chop-shop to autodetect peaks (more akin to Ableton / Recycle etc although not as accurately). I would recommend JJOS to anyone with a 1000 or 2500.