Vintage samplers: dealing with memory limitations

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Vintage samplers: dealing with memory limitations

Post by balma » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:38 pm

For all those folks here with samplers with no more than 2.5 MB :D memory:.... those samplers that forced you to be creative and genious in order to get sounds from a very limited on memory sample database.

how did you deal with those limitations?

Wich methods do you apply to max their number/quality of samples?
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

THEODICY

Re: Vintage samplers: dealing with memory limitations

Post by THEODICY » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:38 am

I love to sample vinyl at a fast rate and then pitch the snippets back down after they are in the sampler. I do this with my machinedrum and it always sounds lovely.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:03 am

That's a good trick I use Theodicy. With my EPS16+, although it actually has 4mb of internal memory with the expansion card, the disks can still only hold 1mb or so. Of course, looping is something you should always do if possible.
I usually lower the sample rate as much as possible. I'm often sampling at 44khz, but lowering things down to 22 or so.
I'm always taking layered instruments and crushing the wavesamples down into a single wavesample if I can

I've recently gotten really into transwave sampling. Doing this allows me to fit 100s of sounds on a single disk

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:53 am

On my casio FZ-1 with 2MB, I loop the sustain parts of the sound (eg a guitar sample) as close to the beginning of the sample as possible that still sounds even, and as short as loop as possible, then I truncate the sample after that point to minimise memory use. I then use the filters to recreate the natural decaying timbre changes as best as possible. Simple sounds such as organs, pianos, simple analog synth sounds - I try to use a single wavelength sample loop after the initial attack, which then uses only a tiny amount of memory.

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

colmon

Post by colmon » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:04 pm

i've been cheating by recording audio into my laptop and speeding it up, sampling back into my yamaha tx16w, and then transposing back to it's normal speed

i guess you could do the same thing with any sampler that allows you to resample and bypass the laptop completely, but unfortunately tx16w doesn't support such a function

Barfunkel

Post by Barfunkel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:18 am

I just sample small bits from vinyl or my synths so I don't really even need that much memory. I do that because that's what I do, if I needed long samples I'd use something else. I don't really consider it a limitation, it's just what those devices are. A piano isn't limited because it doesn't sound like a guitar.

I'm planning on doing a couple of tracks this summer with nothing but my S950, 750kB of memory. You can easily fit a bunch of drums, a sampled chord and some vinyl samples there.

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:58 am

I like to set the input antialiasing filter on the EPSm as high as it'll go and then sample at 8kHz or lower. Sounds lovely on drums - a bit of extra sizzle and crunch.

Otherwise, I just like to sample random sounds directly into the old machines and then see what happens to it with a bit of manipulation. Extreme transposition on old 12-bit machines sounds a h**l of a lot more interesting than on my S3000XL. I know I bang on about my love of the X7000 a fair bit, but one of the chief appeals of that is the fact that two button presses and you've got a sample across the keyboard. Don't like it? Two button presses and you've sampled something new. Want to reverse it? One button press.

Honestly, I can spend hours just hunting around the house accumulating objects and recording them like that, trying out different ways of hitting/operating them... Good fun.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

Voodoo Ray
Gear:
Akai
Waldorf
Roland
Yamaha

Post by Voodoo Ray » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:09 am

I don't often don't need to use long samples, like Barfunkel . Although I have 2MB sample memory available to me.

Spadz
Gear: Samplers, Synths, Guitars, Yamaha recorder, Atari computer and an 18 year Glenlivet.

Post by Spadz » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:36 am

I like using very very short samples such as single-cycled ones. I use me samplers as synths, not much into looping phrases and stuff like that.
So I could sample a few of my synths mixed at the same time and remove data from the sample until I have the smallest possible size of sample that keeps the essence of the sound.

You can put a lot of these in 2 mb...
If you don't know what you are doing, why are you doing it?

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:20 am

I sample with my mpc-1000 then pitch it up a bit then sample that into my sp-1200 and tune it down. Sounds hella dirty! great for maximizing the 10 seconds of sample time...
for sale/trade: EML-101

Barfunkel

Post by Barfunkel » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:32 pm

SP has a weird pitch change algorhithm, that's why the old sampling at high speed and pitching down on the SP sounds so unique. The trick doesn't work nearly as well in any other sampler.

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Careful looping, crossfade loops, harmonic resynthesis of loops, audio speed-up sampling for slowed-down playback, careful consideration of sample rate vs. timbre of sound in question, splicing of transients, use of onboard envelopes, etc. to "recreate" aspects of the sounds' spectral and/or dynamic nature.

cheers,
Ian

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:27 pm

SMPTE is the key and syncing the sampler to a tape machine for layering of the limited short samples.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:21 pm

Tape is evil.

(former tape op)

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:29 pm

aeon wrote:harmonic resynthesis of loops...splicing of transients....

cheers,
Ian
Ian, think you could elaborate a bit on these two? I know what harmonic synthesis is, and I know what transients are...but not sure what you're getting at in this context, except that it sounds intriguing. many thanks,
eric