Are there any modern keyboard samplers that are good?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Are there any modern keyboard samplers that are good?

Post by nadafarms » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:22 am

I'm wanting to get a keyboard sampler that at least has the capabilities of a vintage akai sampler but in keyboard form.

It doesn't seem like there are any new ones out there that are only samplers, the workstations seem to be less geared towards just sampling.

the akai microsampler doesn't have proper loop points/envelopes to be a decent sampler, the nord wave seems very limited from a sampling perspective.

What am I missing here? I wish there was some new akai sampling keyboard that only did sampling... I might just have to go back to rack samplers but I was really hoping there would be something like a nord wave that was multi timbral with splits/layering and not treating the samples as "oscillators".

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it.
for sale/trade: EML-101

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Are there any modern keyboard samplers that are good?

Post by Hugo76 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:54 am

Although I have used the sampler section very little, Korg's M3 seems to pack all the necessary tools you'd want in a sampler - and then some. Plus it's a fantastic synth as well :)
For strange and unusual sample manipulation, check out the V-Synth.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:21 am

All the real flexibility in modern 'keyboard samplers' is in workstations. I have an M3 and it is greatly tempting me to sell off my e6400- i can get most of the e6400 functions in the M3 except it doesn't have the straightforward layering of four samples within a patch (it can layer two). Most of the mod routings are there just not in a straightforward mod matrix, but instead spread throughout the workstation's interface.

aeon

Post by aeon » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:52 pm

You could always look for an E-mu E-Synth Keys...but that is, of course, not new. It does have lots of power as it concerns the synthesis engine.

Even older, check out an Akai S1000KB.

But yeah, as has been mentioned, the real power for sample-playback in keyboard form these days is one of the workstations.

Could you explain a little more what you dislike about the function of the Nord Wave for your application?

You could also consider a Waldorf Blofeld Keys, but I don't own one so cannot recommend it.

cheers,
Ian

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:41 am

aeon wrote:You could also consider a Waldorf Blofeld Keys, but I don't own one so cannot recommend it.
From what I've heard sample transmission is supposed to be real slow. In the laptop version at least, reckon this also applies to the keyboard. Hopefully I'll get to try the sampler functionality this fall, won't have any money til then.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:24 pm

As far as I know the WAVE does not have a sampler included. It can load samples from libraries, but it's not a sampler itself.

Lots of modern workstations have a sampler included and a very decent rompler engine. The MOTIF is an excelent sampler, despite it is not its main purpose, ADSR high quality curves programming allows you to shape samples in a high detailed way and it has a nice effect section. The Fantom G also has the sampling option and a pad section to organize them. The Yamaha EX5 offers incredible options of synthesis plus sampling, but samples will erase when you turn off the unit. The Alesis Fusion is a very complete workstation with a sampler with a HUGE memory for a low price workstation.

The V synth is a superb sampler. It hsa variphrase, and an extensive amount of controllers for realtime perfomance, and one of the most comprehensive user interfaces ever implemented on a synthesizer.

I dunno, I see enough options on the keyboard market, to work for the rest of your life using them.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:20 pm

I know the Motif family doesn't support loop crossfades (which infuriates users who had hoped that by the XS it would have finally been included). Having never owned a dedicated sampler, I don't know what else that you might expect is missing. Unlike Korg and Roland, the Motif rack units lack the sampling features.

On the plus side Motif does have modern-day sampling features like auto-slicing loops, "remix" (reorder the slices randomly), WAV/AIFF import/export and tempo shifting. You can sample directly into sequencer tracks and have all the data stored with the sequence like a groovebox or go old-school with multisampled voices for live playing. You can sample at 44.1, 22, 11, 5.5 (or convert after sampling) but it's always 16 bit. Mono or stereo, effects can be applied during sampling. Max single sample length is 6 min 20 seconds. Akai and Yamaha A-series libraries can be imported but only via CD-ROM.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:03 pm

Still the most well thought out, deep, and usefull sampling keyboard workstation is the ASR-10. Way ahead of its time & still not really outshined by anything else.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:33 am

Except in sheer memory capacity...

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:18 pm

meatballfulton wrote:I know the Motif family doesn't support loop crossfades (which infuriates users who had hoped that by the XS it would have finally been included). Having never owned a dedicated sampler, I don't know what else that you might expect is missing. Unlike Korg and Roland, the Motif rack units lack the sampling features.

On the plus side Motif does have modern-day sampling features like auto-slicing loops, "remix" (reorder the slices randomly), WAV/AIFF import/export and tempo shifting. You can sample directly into sequencer tracks and have all the data stored with the sequence like a groovebox or go old-school with multisampled voices for live playing. You can sample at 44.1, 22, 11, 5.5 (or convert after sampling) but it's always 16 bit. Mono or stereo, effects can be applied during sampling. Max single sample length is 6 min 20 seconds. Akai and Yamaha A-series libraries can be imported but only via CD-ROM.
Yes, the lack of loop crossfade is definately a bummer. Regarding slicing loops and remixing them, do you know if the Motif slices according to transient peaks? In the RS7000 and the A-series this is not the case, something which makes this feature somewhat hit and miss. The loop remix feature can be cool, but in my experience it's best for midi loops.

gosh

Post by gosh » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Could get an mpc 4000 for a bloody deep sampler with keys (ok ok pads). :-)

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Hugo76 wrote:Regarding slicing loops and remixing them, do you know if the Motif slices according to transient peaks?
Yes, it slices on transients rather than beat boundaries. It not only assigns a note to each slice, but inserts the note-ons in the sequence to play them.

One completely undocumented feature: when samples (sliced or not) are loaded into a sequence you have a resonant LPF, a filter EG and amp EG and 3-band parametric EQ available without having to create a "user voice" first.
Ashe37 wrote:
GameChanger wrote:the ASR-10. Way ahead of its time & still not really outshined by anything else.
Except in sheer memory capacity...
I have to admit I couldn't believe the sample capacity of the Motif ES when I bought it...they bumped it from the 64MB of the original Motif to 1GB. That's enough for about 100 minutes of stereo audio at 44.1/16, 200 minutes (almost 3-1/2 hours) in mono. I put 512MB in mine and have yet to max it out.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.