Old floppy sampler utilities and Windows 7

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Silverfish
Band: Silverfish

Old floppy sampler utilities and Windows 7

Post by Silverfish » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:55 am

Hey team. Some questions for those of you both on the bleeding edge and trapped in the stone age.

I've FINALLY gotten my hands on an external USB floppy drive, to manage disks for my Akai CD3000xl and Roland S-550. I looked about for info reguarding mac OSX, and it looks like that's out. So I fired up my new Windows 7 laptop, downloaded some of the ancient floppy disk utilities, and I'm discovering that many of them will not run or install under Windows 7. Boo.

As I understand, Windows 7 does not have DOS- that thing most of these little utilities need at a critical level. Does anyone know of a way to get these guys going? I'd really love to have Akaidisk and similar working.

thanks!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Old floppy sampler utilities and Windows 7

Post by madtheory » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:36 am

Why not keep an older Win XP machine around for the samplers? Also, SCSI is useable on the Akai.

Silverfish
Band: Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:54 am

Actually, I remembered I have an old xp laptop sitting around. I fired it up and it seems to be working much better for this application. I'll have to see if I can find a machine with a SCSI card.

Thanks for your help!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:28 am

Or get a USB-> SCSI adapter- Castlewood used to make them for the ORB, and then after Iomega sued them out of existence and bought the carcass, they made the same ones for the "USB Jaz drives" (which were just SCSI JAz drives with a USB to SCSI adapter copied from the Castlewood design- in fact the early ones are recognized by XP as the Castlewood hardware)

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:18 pm

I keep an old Windows 98 PC handy for such things, but if I had to I would just boot the computer with DOS from the USB floppy drive or if possible (depends on hardware backwards compatibility) set up a dual boot system with Windows 98.