On-the-fly Phrase Sampling/Looping

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Re: On-the-fly Phrase Sampling/Looping

Post by blavatsky » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:50 pm

for the question about loop cature saving to pad:

http://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13 ... b4f7eeea85

I have not tried this, but I'm a big fan of the sp555 if you can get a good price on it. Some of the best built in hardware effects I've heard.

pamplemousse_mk2
Gear: 2 Vestax PDX-a2MkII, Rane TTM-56, Serato Scratch Live.
Ableton Live
C64 MSSIAH
MOTU Ultralite

Post by pamplemousse_mk2 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:43 am

What do you think about the loopers like Jamman? Ok it is more used by guitarists but it loops sounds like want.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:12 am

The EHX 2880 has 4 tracks (with individual faders and pan knobs) plus a mixdown track. It will sync to MIDI Clock and song position pointer.

Main downside is that you can only have one loop per CF card. It can be a really long loop (depending on the size of the card), and it can have 4 tracks (5 if you count the mixdown), but only one loop. And it has no display, so this probably won't change even if they make another OS revision at some point. But this might not be a problem if you're strictly using it for improvisational type stuff. I mainly use mine to sketch out guitar parts to go with sequenced drum and synth stuff, and it works well for that.

I got mine used, with the foot controller, a few months ago for $300-ish. Can't remember exactly.

You might also want to look at the Electrix Repeater. Prices on those seem to have come down quite a bit from what they were a few years ago.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

somebedroomdj

Post by somebedroomdj » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:04 am

I could be completely missing something here (and forgive me if I am), but the ESX-1 should fit the bill, no?
Tempest | Deluge | BSII | FR Revolution | SP-16
MPC Live for sale, $850 + shipping

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:33 am

somebedroomdj wrote:I could be completely missing something here (and forgive me if I am), but the ESX-1 should fit the bill, no?
yeah, you need to stop the sequencer after sampling, meaning you can't sample as you go like you would with a looper

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:50 pm

KP3/KO Pro
are probably the best bet.. each one is similar, but there are some differences in the way the looping/resampling works... so check them both carefully to see just how they work.. they both can be used, but one style will probably appeal to you more than the other.

The SP samplers are not suited for live looping, nor the electribe samplers as stated above

Only other thing that comes to mind is the electrix repeater.

somebedroomdj

Post by somebedroomdj » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:18 am

TrondC wrote:
somebedroomdj wrote:I could be completely missing something here (and forgive me if I am), but the ESX-1 should fit the bill, no?
yeah, you need to stop the sequencer after sampling, meaning you can't sample as you go like you would with a looper
Ah, thought I read somewhere you could do that, my mistake. I don't do any live stuff, so I've never come up against this, but I must say its rather surprising that more samplers wouldn't have this capability! Seems like it would be a no brainer for live performance.
Tempest | Deluge | BSII | FR Revolution | SP-16
MPC Live for sale, $850 + shipping

analoglsd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Buchla Music Easel, TE OP-1, Korg MS-20, Yamaha RS-7000, Effects Pedals

Post by analoglsd » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:10 am

The EHX 2880 is nice, but doesn't always want to play nice when receiving MIDI/BPM info.
Best not to use live, as it is quirky(especially in certain BPMs). I've used it live and regretted it.
The Electrix Repeater and the Gibson/Oberheim Echoplex both do very well syncing to external tempo info.
I've used the Repeater a couple times live, and it worked great.
I haven't used the Echoplex live yet, I just got it, but it seems to do better than the Repeater.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:21 pm

analoglsd wrote:The EHX 2880 is nice, but doesn't always want to play nice when receiving MIDI/BPM info.
Hmm, I've had no problems with it yet, syncing it to my Command Station. Although I suppose playing a live show is when those quirks magically start coming out of the woodwork. ;)

Oh, and here's the super handy Looper Comparison Chart: http://www.looproom.com/looperchart.php in case you haven't stumbled across it already.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

burnn_out!

Post by burnn_out! » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:22 pm

electrix repeater what your looking for. just make sure you get the 512mb cards for it. eats memory for breakfast. insanely awesome for capturing live loops, overdubbing, and whatnot.

rubixgroove

Post by rubixgroove » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:27 pm

With the KP3, is it possible to save multiple banks worth of samples and bring 'em back later?
I have an ESX-1 right now, but not too sure if it's exactly "for me". Great sampler though!

Could I throw my weird speech samples on the KP3, bring them up from the unit as needed, just for simple play back & effecting? Seems like it'd be incredibly easy to do with this little thing. :oops: