Triple Six Mafia / DJ Paul / Juicy J Sampler Questions

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Triple Six Mafia / DJ Paul / Juicy J Sampler Questions

Post by rharris07 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:20 pm

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here with this - I don't see too many of you having jammed this s**t out when you were younger...but who knows.

Just curious if anyone knows what these guys used back in the early '90s for their samplers; they really utilized sampling their own rapper's voices, then putting those samples into loops for each chorus. This was over done back then, but I'm really interested in using it for something more modern.

The technique always sounded so cool to me also due to the lower quality of the samples - it seemed like they would slow them down a bit, and use a pretty low quality return...I doubt this was as much on purpose back then as it was all they could afford. So maybe they used something like a Mirage? Some of the vocal samples seem really long in length at times...was there a real cheap sampler that offered more memory?

Some of you guys that like horror rap would like this stuff...it's where it originated from! Juicy J tapes were coming out in the early 90s with samples of chucky and other horror films over beats and r&b samples...pretty awesome s**t for a young teen in the early 90s, to me personally at least.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: Triple Six Mafia / DJ Paul / Juicy J Sampler Questions

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:28 pm

odd, we always called them three six mafia.

Anyhow, get a shitty portable tape recorder and tape your voice making sure that you are maxing out the overhead; this s**t get you a nice crunchy compressed sound. From there you could just f**k with it in an editor as far as sample and bit rate go, then transfer.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:03 pm

tallowwaters wrote:odd, we always called them three six mafia.

Anyhow, get a shitty portable tape recorder and tape your voice making sure that you are maxing out the overhead; this s**t get you a nice crunchy compressed sound. From there you could just f**k with it in an editor as far as sample and bit rate go, then transfer.

yeah, they changed how they said/wrote their name in the late '90s to three six mafia, but way back when they use to go by triple six. you can hear them refer to themselves as triple six quite a bit in these samples i was talking about on their first proper album, Mystic Stylez, and on their first major EP Live By Yo Rep. And then also of course on at least the first three Underground Volume compilations they put out, collecting some of their earliest tape tracks.

Growing up around here - we had DJ Screw when I was a teen, he was huge here...and he really liked triple six for awhile, so you'd hear them quite a bit thanks to him.

So were all the cheap samplers back in the '90s basically the same thing? No one really offered more than another for the same general price? I know I want a V-synth at this point for all the modern features, but I definitely still want to have that dirty, old sample sound - but I guess just do the tape recorder sample like you're talking, then drop that down into the v-synth?

Now THIS dude right here, Koopsta Knicca...wooo...I still remember the first time I put his CD on, I was blown away...this is hardcore devil rap music, f**k awesome. The samples are great, double/triple tracking his voice in different styles/tones was just awesome...no one else sounded like him back then, at all. he was compared a lot to bone - but f**k that s**t, they were no where near his level of evil. just awesome. I really wish I could isolate his vocals and use them as the basis for some new tracks...i love his voice.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:39 pm

Back in the 90's we used to mess with speeds all the time, the first time I heard DJ Screw I assumed he was planing to mix at low speed and then bring up the play back speed after he recorded it but liked the way it sounded so kept it slow (that's not a fact BTW, just an assumption), as for the sampler it is probably just an SP1200, vocals pitched up on tape, sampled and then triggered pitched back down to save on memory.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:43 pm

f**k love DJ Screw! Most of that Texas scene too - y'all produce some weird a*s rappers.

Anyhow, I would imagine DJ Screw used turntables. Just google how to "Chop and Screw".

You already have a good E-Mu sampler, just stick with that. I learned all the tricks the hard way with tape and E-MU, then grabbed the V Synth and it was just butter. It's probably made me a little lazy these days.

yeahrightkid
Gear: Cheap Synths and Samplers.
Band: Architects of Fear

Post by yeahrightkid » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:24 pm

In 'Da Summa' there's a line to the effect of "We back at the crib, sweatin' in a lil room. W-30s, SP-12s, and MPCs we use." Also, they used the greatest sample ever for "Glock in my draws." Behold...

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Hah, s**t that's the Unsolved Mysteries theme. Niiice.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:02 pm

oh h**l yeah! i love that song.

whats kinda funny is that i've had the theme song to unsolved on my iphone for a few weeks now, and i listen to it almost daily because i've been thinking about doing some kind of ambient/downtempo cover version of it. i just gotta find the piano tabs for the damn thing!

I don't know what it is - I figured these guys used MPCs at some point, but for whatever weird reason - I just always get turned off when I see an MPC...it doesn't look useful to me. It looks like it would be very time-consuming to dive into and use on a daily basis. I get that feeling EVERY time I read about or see one...anyone else that way? Are they actually really easy to use...am I just being stupid about it? The more I see of the Vsynth, the more I think it would work better in my favor...

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:38 am

A D A D# A C D
A D A D# A C G

Off the top of my head of course.

Ryan, have you heard Cage's Weather People? He puts Suspiria to good use.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:08 am

tallowwaters wrote:A D A D# C D
A D A D# C G

no sir...I can't say I've ever heard that track and/or album...is it old? new?

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:48 pm

rharris07 wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:A D A D# A C D
A D A D# A C G

no sir...I can't say I've ever heard that track and/or album...is it old? new?