Elektron Octatrack!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Elektron Octatrack!

Post by audible » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:16 am

It's quite amazing that no-one, let alone Elektron themselves, has come up with a decent demo video. Loops repeating ad nauseam, lots of knobbing with no audible effect, MnM+MD+Octatrack settings so you can't tell what's doing what, no sampling from scratch... I had been extremely tempted to part with the cash since day one, but not any longer.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:04 pm

audible wrote:It's quite amazing that no-one, let alone Elektron themselves, has come up with a decent demo video. Loops repeating ad nauseam, lots of knobbing with no audible effect, MnM+MD+Octatrack settings so you can't tell what's doing what, no sampling from scratch... I had been extremely tempted to part with the cash since day one, but not any longer.
Darenager has put a video up on Elektron Users, it's the most in depth Iv'e seen yet, and it doesn't show too much as he said he'd just received it.

Essentially it seems its an Akai S950 with a seq per voice, and obviously with more features etc.

I don't think its finished to be honest. Some people on Elektron Users mentioned the firmware being ver 0.99, and that some features aren't there yet, as well as the extra features Elektron are planning to add being absent.

They should have just done a simple video like Roger Linn and Dave Smith did, which looked like it was filmed in Rogers house.

Give it some time, it'll probably turn out to be a good piece of equipment, but for now I think all this 'hype' nonsense just messed everyones expectations up.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:46 am

i still get that this thing is great for mangling incoming audio, thats what i've seen from the videos, but waht the f**k can it do for me in a songwriting/pop context!?!?

come on!

someone show me how they use it creatively in an actual track

i realize people are just getting these, but I want to hear something in a structured song that says like "this was done on the octatrack, and it is awesome because it was done on the octatrack, and it cant be done elsewhere".
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Post by anoteoftruth » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:12 am

I have a hard time expecting that to be the case...

There are so many samplers, and sampling software out there now, that I don't think you'll ever hear anything like, "this was made on a octatrack, and only can sound like this because it was made on a octatrack."

The same way that nobody can say that for a MPC.

I still have yet to determine how this is any different than s**t I can do in ableton, except for maybe the hardware making it easier for workflow or something?

jaypodesta

Post by jaypodesta » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:04 pm

kuroichi wrote:Darenager has put a video up on Elektron Users, it's the most in depth Iv'e seen yet, and it doesn't show too much as he said he'd just received it.
Managed to miss it.. is there a link?

Tia

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/user/darenager

he's got a few now on his profile...

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:11 pm

anoteoftruth wrote:
I still have yet to determine how this is any different than s**t I can do in ableton, except for maybe the hardware making it easier for workflow or something?
yes, ableton can probably do 95% of the same things, but he whole point (as I see this) is the Hardware approach, quick, intuitive and easy to use. like someone said earler: elektron is the Apple of synthmakers. Personally I'd be willing to drop $1000+ for a dedicated hardware version of ableton live, which this so far seems to be, only on steroids

paulh
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by paulh » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:53 pm

Joey wrote:i still get that this thing is great for mangling incoming audio, thats what i've seen from the videos, but waht the f**k can it do for me in a songwriting/pop context!?!?

come on!

someone show me how they use it creatively in an actual track

i realize people are just getting these, but I want to hear something in a structured song that says like "this was done on the octatrack, and it is awesome because it was done on the octatrack, and it cant be done elsewhere".

i couldn't have put it better myself! i like the idea but wonder the same...wouldn't mind a go on one to find out.

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:37 pm

The Octatrack is not Ableton Live. Ableton Live can play more than 8 samples at once.

colmon

Post by colmon » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:51 pm

thanks for that -- i almost thought that the octatrack was ableton live for a moment there

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:53 pm

wait so let me get this straight.

the octatrack is NOT ableton live?

mind = blown.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:27 pm

TrondC wrote: Personally I'd be willing to drop $1000+ for a dedicated hardware version of ableton live, which this so far seems to be, only on steroids
speak_onion wrote:The Octatrack is not Ableton Live. Ableton Live can play more than 8 samples at once.
I should have been more clear by quoting that in the first place and let me also rephrase: "The Octatrack is not functionally equivalent to Ableton Live." I'm sorry for any trouble I might have caused by my careless use of language.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:14 pm

speak_onion wrote:
TrondC wrote: Personally I'd be willing to drop $1000+ for a dedicated hardware version of ableton live, which this so far seems to be, only on steroids
speak_onion wrote:The Octatrack is not Ableton Live. Ableton Live can play more than 8 samples at once.
I should have been more clear by quoting that in the first place and let me also rephrase: "The Octatrack is not functionally equivalent to Ableton Live." I'm sorry for any trouble I might have caused by my careless use of language.

Well, I imagine Trond actually meant "I would be willing to spend a grand on something that isn't quite as a powerful as an app on a dedicated computer, but still fairly equivalent when compared to other modern samplers that are available."

So, maybe you should be a little more careful regarding your responses careless language.
;)
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Augment

Post by Augment » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:24 am

Regarding the "ad campaign." It was one short film, posted pretty much exclusively on Elektron's website, Vimeo channel, and Facebook page. It's not like this thing was shown on TV or in movie theater's during trailers. The only people that really saw it were people already familiar with the company and the product. So I'm not sure there's that many people out there who want one because it looks cool due to advertisements and its image. Elektron makes some nicely designed and stylish gear, but is that really a negative thing? They're well crafted instruments that are, for all their inner complexities, fairly easy to navigate and use. I've never heard an owner of an Elektron unit express concern that they paid too much money for purely cosmetic reasons. They're just rectangular metal boxes with buttons and knobs. Also, the price of the Octatrack was pretty much known many, many months before it was officially announced with the film, so to think it had any effect on the cost of the unit is kind of ridiculous.

As far as the Octatrack itself is concerned, I just got mine last night so I haven't even had the time to really sit down with it for very long, but so far I can assure everyone that it's a very nice piece, and lives up to the Elektron lineage, and well... it will get better with time once they actually get it past the Beta stage (It's currently at OS 0.99).

Being realistic, I don't think there's really any single piece of gear (hardware or software) that you can really attribute doing something that is 100% exclusive to THAT piece. There's always the rare exception, but in this case, when all is said and done, it's still just a sampler / sequencer. It's not like it's an entirely groundbreaking concept. Although anyone familiar with the Elektron interface and standard features and functionality (ie; parameter locks!) knows that alone is enough to consider it. The ease of things like setting the crossfader is pretty quick and painless; you hold down one button, tweak however many parameters you want to the values on one end, and then do the same on the other end. Want to reverse the playback of two tracks while simultaneously opening the filter on another track and cranking the pitch and delay repeat on another two tracks? Takes about 15 seconds to set that up.

Another nice touch that I realized, while nothing mind-blowing, is that when you slice, trim, and otherwise mangle a sample, well... it doesn't actually alter the original file in any way. It's all just saved as parameter settings, leaving the original file intact. So not only do you not have to worry about accidentally destroying your file, it never has to create a "new" file of the trimmed / sliced / warped sample. While I have no idea if this is a feature unique to the OT, but the relative safety of non-destructive audio editing as well as the reduction of an increasing number of audio files is a good bonus in my opinion.

Overall it's a worthy sampler. It certainly has a lot going for it; up to four external audio sources which can be sampled in real time, an absolutely insane amount of pattern storage (256 patterns per "Project" and an unlimited number of projects), great editing and timing options, and the LFO designer is a fairly unique feature, especially for hardware.

Speaking of LFO's, each track has 3 freely assignable LFO's, built in and ready to use right out of the box. It's at least got that going for it when comparing it to Ableton Live. :)

Seriously though, it's a fine machine. Sure, there hasn't been a lot of "great" demo's of it so far, but electronic music can be highly subjective. Especially when sampling becomes involved. It's not like a synth where one can be blown away instantly by just the mere raw sound of it, although the quality of playback and the filters and effects are all ace. It's a powerful sampler that can probably rival a lot of software samples in terms of features, all housed in a pretty intuitive hardware interface. Now that it's making its way into the hands of the users I'd expect to be seeing some good stuff in the weeks to come. And if that fails, well, I'm sure the next Autechre album or two will show it off in fine form!

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:38 pm

I liked this one...

Quite easy to see whats happening, plus finally someone used a sample we all recognise, so you can tell whats being done very easily...