Elektron Octatrack!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Re: Elektron Octatrack!

Post by Joey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:31 am

I just dont think they are doing anything particularly interesting or mind blowing with it

no matter what music it is,

however four on the floor demos bore me
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:47 pm

Trying to justify NOT selling a bunch of gear for this; I have a SP555 and an ESX as main samplers, they are great but the specs on this piece are looking really good. I've never owned an elektron piece before but I like the sound quality and design/workflow i've seen in videos.

Would like to see some more diverse demos as well.

Augment

Post by Augment » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:06 pm

This is the best thing I've heard done with one so far; it's live re-sampling of a Machinedrum with no post editing or tweaking done by How Dragons Disappear. This sort of thing is the reason I bought one, since it's a type of style I've always wanted to explore but never had the tools to do in a hands-on context. While I'd love to have heard the original MD pattern to get a feel for how just HOW mangled it got, I know that a MD doesn't usually sound like that. :)

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:47 pm

okay see THAT demo is nasty as f**k. THAT makes me want one.

what I want to know is say I'm doing something at 200 bpm, if I timestretch a drum loop way slow (or fast), does it stay at some division of that BPM? (i.e. 1/4, 1/16), or does it go out of time?

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Has everybody received their units? My payment was completed on Monday morning and still no sign of shipping. They claim to ship the very same day they get the cash. I guess there's a big demand on this thing and some delay is expected... Not worried, just a bit curious.
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:13 pm

Augment

Post by Augment » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:32 pm

I think they might be getting them out a little slower than what is normal for them. I had a pre-order paid for back in mid December (first day they took orders) and it still took a few days once shipping actually started on Jan. 17th.

As for the question about Timestretching, the timestretch is linked to the BPM of the sample rather than the tempo of the OT's sequencer. So it appears that the timestretch stuff is regulated to some degree rather than just being an "open" parameter that goes off on its own if tweaked too far. You have the option to edit the listed BPM of a sample, which doesn't affect the sample itself, only the timestretch properties. They say to keep a sample at the correct BPM for correct results. You can also choose between "Standard" and "Beats" depending on the situation.

I'm just basing this off of the manual rather than from actual experience. The manual can be downloaded now (along with the new OS) at: http://www.elektron.se/products/octatra ... =downloads

That manual is more up to date than the one that ships with the OT. They've released two OS updates in the past two days, so it would seem that things should really start rolling now.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Hey guys, I'm trying to determine how suitable an octatrack would be as a sampling drum machine. I know I can load oneshot samples and not loop them, but would I be limited to 8 samples total? Or can one flex machine have more than one sample, or can I have more machines, or would I have to resample to build loops or just load loops from ableton instead of building on the octarack.

I know it can load full songs and loops and mangle them and eventually do MIDI sequencing, just trying to see if it'd also tick this box on my "stuff I want it to do" list.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:22 pm

You could arrange a bunch of one shot samples on one audio clip and add slice points. Kinda like in this vid:

Obviously he's using a loop but you get the idea. Just ordered mine last week and awaiting arrival.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:26 pm

THEODICY wrote:You could arrange a bunch of one shot samples on one audio clip and add slice points. Kinda like in this vid:
Well that's easy to do on the Electribe ESX1 . I'm waiting to hear how the transponse functions work over the samples, if they can be pitched on a scale like the variphrase technology can do.

I mean, I almost have the money, got a credit card, I'm so reluctant to invest $1400 on this or save more for the new DS tempest....., or to buy an Spectralis.....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

matia
Gear: Forum said that I exceeded 150 characters. Here's a partial:
Serge Modular 9 pannels SMS Modular almost all modules
ARP 2600
Roland Tr 808 ....

Post by matia » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:50 pm

see now something like this I found very interesting. but imagine instead of a record and a dj mixer you have the octatrack hooked up to an aux or bus on a proper mixer with live drum machines and synths running. I think this is something that the octatrack will do very well as it's so live based. almost like a very quantized and step sequencer based live looper. this I found very inspiring.

i played with one the other night and have to say that I was very impressed with the sound engine. it was very clean and punchy. the interface is a bit more convoluted than the machine drum's but in order to do everything it does it is understandable. my biggest issue was the slight hit in build quality in comparison to the machine drum. i've used two machine drums over the last several years. the mk1 and the mk2 UW. both machines are built exceptionally well. the octatrack's case is a bit thin and I think I can see where they cut some corners to get the price down. I also would have preferred the black buttons and knobs as opposed to the gray. but i like the gummy rubber knobs better than the MD's plastic... other than that gray will probably get dirty with finger grease like the mpc's ;)

however, having said all of that, and those that know me know that the MD is very hit and miss with me especially stacked up to analogue drum machines (i know it's no suppose to be that but it's heritage is IN that) and that I appreciated those machines predominantly from a conceptual and aesthetical/design level. the octatrack I find a bit different. while my rocks get warmer with obtuse things like atari cubase hitting a hardware sampler, there is something very refreshing about the octatrack. i can see that it can fit into many different working styles. as for the esx 1 comparrison, I've had an ESX and loved it for what it was but the sound quality was just not professional enough and the noise floor was atrocious. I think the octatrack has a much more eloquent interface and allows for much more processing and reprocessing on the go and sounds nothing like the c**p pitching and stretching inside ableton.

it was fun to mess with and if I could find consistent use in a significant enough place for it beyond a drum sampler I think I will pick one up :) my mpc2000xl, s950, and mpc 60 handle the sampler thing well enough as is so i'm on the fence.

all in all, well done and worth giving a shot to if you can think a bit beyond the box.

-matia

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:03 pm

are you using one-shot samples triggered by sequencer only?
from what i hear the 'Looping Machine' is still in beta. correct me if I'm wrong.

I still don't know what is so great about this beyond being able to param-lock your sample mangling. i like the way you can toss the samples about and x-fade them, but the FX and audio mixing quality seem rather ho-hum.

i ordered an EHX 2880 for looping yesterday. it should do for now. the Octa in it's current state seems not quite worth the extra $1k yet.

obviously the Octa will 'blow it away'...but still I don't know if it's ready yet.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:39 pm

The FX are very good. The filters are INCREDIBLE for a digital filter. A compressor for each individual track is so nice. It's going to only get better once people start learning to exploit it's hidden talents. Someone mentioned today on the user forums, loading 16 single cycle waveforms spliced together on a single track, then setting the slice grid to 16 and looping set to ON. Right there will give you wave sequencing capabilities. If elektron adds a polymode the game is over. If someone figured out how to do 32 Op FM synthesis on the machinedrum, think of this using the LFO designer and having three LFOs per track!! That's just scratching the surface. It's totally worth the price!! What other piece of hardware comes close to this??? If anything, the price should go up once they develop the OS further IMO.

Just got mine yesterday. I'm blown away by the possibilities. I love the way the elektron approach makes me think.

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:48 pm

THEODICY wrote:If elektron adds a polymode the game is over.
That's what I'd like to see.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:15 pm

Boy this thread sure died off once the thing came out ;)

Anyone doing anything great with this? For awhile I was thinking about selling gear and trading up but there is a lack of quality demos out there it seems....haven't heard either if they got the FX section filled out more.