Elektron Octatrack!

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Re: Elektron Octatrack!

Post by Joey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:00 pm

It's OVER 9000!
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:04 pm

It could be cheaper if they hadn't laid out $$$$ for that video :facepalm:

How many do you think they will be able to sell (seriously)?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:29 pm

meatballfulton wrote:It could be cheaper if they hadn't laid out $$$$ for that video :facepalm:

How many do you think they will be able to sell (seriously)?
Quite a lot of people on Elektron Users are of the 'Elektron + Anything = purchase' variety so quite a few.... there's actually a thread of people that have pre-ordered one, and it's a few pages already.

I was going to preorder and probably will get one, but all this ridiculous hype put me off, so I'm gonna wait until I can get a real idea of its abilities...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:20 pm

Oh s**t, the backlash on this piece has hit early! I'd jump on, but I'm holding out for the Octatrack-backlash backlash.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:58 pm

th0mas wrote:IM SO CONFUSED NOW

[youtube][/youtube]
i don't know you but after watching this, if I didn't s**t my pants, I farted at least.

Me want to....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:45 am

speak_onion wrote:Oh s**t, the backlash on this piece has hit early! I'd jump on, but I'm holding out for the Octatrack-backlash backlash.
Isn't it traditional for the backlash at VSE to start before a product comes out?
VSE wrote:'Oh look, a new product announcement!'

'Wow that looks amazing, I'm gonna buy one as soon as it comes out'

'It looks like c**p, I bet it doesn't sound exactly like [something that it isn't exactly the same as]'

'Why don't Roland reissue the Jupiter 8? I know they could do it but with 16 voices all exactly the same circuits but for only $800'

'Hey this new thing sounds like c**p, I know because I saw a video recorded at NAMM on youtube and the I can tell exactly what something sounds like with youtube compression on it that's been recorded in a noisy hall on a video camera mic'

Product actually comes out...

[crickets]

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Well, just guessing from the production values that the video cost $20,000 to produce, if they can sell 1000 units (a lot in the boutique synth business) that adds $20 to Elecktron's cost, $40 or more to the retail price. I'm surprised such a small mfr would spend that kind of money since that's just part of their overall marketing costs.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:42 pm

According to your calculations if you're gonna buy the Octatrack, they already debited you $20 if you watched the commercial.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

I12

Post by I12 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:51 am

meatballfulton wrote:Well, just guessing from the production values that the video cost $20,000 to produce, if they can sell 1000 units (a lot in the boutique synth business) that adds $20 to Elecktron's cost, $40 or more to the retail price. I'm surprised such a small mfr would spend that kind of money since that's just part of their overall marketing costs.
can twatch the vid, internet here is sloooooow

but dont you think that they may have some friends in the pro/semi pro vid production side that might just do them a

favor?

to me that would be far more likely than them parting out big $
Dont bother its not worth it!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:17 am

I12 wrote:
meatballfulton wrote:Well, just guessing from the production values that the video cost $20,000 to produce, if they can sell 1000 units (a lot in the boutique synth business) that adds $20 to Elecktron's cost, $40 or more to the retail price. I'm surprised such a small mfr would spend that kind of money since that's just part of their overall marketing costs.

but dont you think that they may have some friends in the pro/semi pro vid production side that might just do them a

favor?

For that video?

No. That's at least twenty grand worth of "favor", even on the slimmest of budgets.

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:23 pm

yeah, I have to say, I imagine that video cost a lot to make.

But to be honest it seems a lot of people are only into elektron for the image, theyre like the apple of synths...
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

I12

Post by I12 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:57 pm

kuroichi wrote:yeah, I have to say, I imagine that video cost a lot to make.

But to be honest it seems a lot of people are only into elektron for the image, theyre like the apple of synths...
You sir, with the utmost respect, are an idiot

hope you see this before it gets deleted by mods who love to protect the foolish :lol:

I12

Post by I12 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:14 pm

Ashe37 wrote:
I12 wrote:

favor?

For that video?

No. That's at least twenty grand worth of "favor", even on the slimmest of budgets.

for some 20k is peanuts,
i've seen guys drop 5 to 10k in a few days or so on wine wimmin and song or to modernize
(drugs, parties and hookers)
and its not been but a drop in the ocean for them
so imo a commercial value of 20k as a favor in no biggy
think about it

doesnt tiesto and the likes pull 15k+ a night?

or

they got a some investment/backing, there is some big money floating around europe still

more still

sh1t we, well the guitarist blew out a video production on the day and it cost us 20k
that was 1984!!!

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:13 am

That's exactly my point. My best bet is a three day shoot and about sixty grand. I recognize a few of the actors, they are SAG (or the UK equiv) so everyone got SAG minimum. Want me to go into details? i have a degree in this stuff....

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:44 am

I12 wrote:
kuroichi wrote:yeah, I have to say, I imagine that video cost a lot to make.

You sir, with the utmost respect, are an idiot

hope you see this before it gets deleted by mods who love to protect the foolish :lol:
Since when do the mods here protect the foolish? Mods here don't tolerate much foolishness at all, let alone protect it.

Anyway, apart from the stupidity of implying that people only buy Apple products because of the image, I think Apple and Elektron have a lot of similarities. Both really well designed hardware, operating system and UI has had a lot of thought put into it and is therefore a pleasure to use, some idiots don't like them because they can't afford them, etc. ;)