Getting ARR1 into a sampler

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
PPG_HOSHII!

Getting ARR1 into a sampler

Post by PPG_HOSHII! » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:09 pm

I have a single 2 second sampled sound of "ARR1" from the fairlight. I would like to get this sound into my hardware sampler, but there is no indication of what key the sound was taken from. Does anybody have a high quality multi-sample sound set of this sound with an indication for each sound as to which key the sound should be placed on? I don't know a lot about sampling, but I would appreciate any help if someone might be able to provide it.

I would have liked to post the sound on here, but I can't seem to figure out how. The file is a 256KB wav file.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Re: Getting ARR1 into a sampler

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:18 pm

i wish i knew, but i don't. what i'm wondering though is in what way would knowing the key effect your use of the sample? maybe i don't understand what you're asking, but if you're asking what i think you're asking, than there are at least two techniques you could employ:

1. load a sample you know is pitched correctly to middle c and split the keyboard with that on one sude and the arr1 on the other, and then move the key assignment of the arr1 until the pitch matches the keys relative to the known sample

2. get ahold of a guitar tuner and play the sample into the tuner.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

PPG_HOSHII!

Post by PPG_HOSHII! » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:15 am

Ninja6485,

Thank you, I will try method 1 that you mentioned. I will load a piano into one side of the sampler, split it, load ARR1, and tune to that.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:40 am

Eh? That's waaay too complicated. What does "load a sample you know is pitched correctly to middle c" mean? I think you may have left out some punctuation there ninja, so the meaning is ambiguous.

Here's the easy way:
Load the file in to your sampler, the default assigned key is middle C. Play middle C on the sampler. Then go to your synth and find that note. There's your pitch. Now re assign the sample to that note.