unique/unsual features in hardware samplers

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: unique/unsual features in hardware samplers

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:59 pm

Aeon... wow...

In one post you somehow convinced me to want to buy a "new" sampler! I've always heard good thing about the A-series, mainly on here, and it seems like of the two, it would be a little more straight forward to use, especially when one is using a PC primarily?
Do you even post on vse bro?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Hu? Aeon is better than any manual itself man. You've been enlightened. I have the A4000

I believe a E-mu command station loaded with ROMS made by ourselves on the EOS Ultra could be the best stand alone drum machine of this century for live performance. I'm drooling.....

Unfortunately, the ROMS used by E-mu's protean romplers are pretty expensive and hard to find. If somebody definitely finish some dozens of these writable blank ROMs, I'll be on the line. I imagine something like the unreleased Octatrack , but with 128 poly and 32 tracks instead 8, and samples made of a maximun of 12 samples each one. I just adquired another command station, thinking on this possibility on near future.

The Roland SP808 has a D-Beam controller. But this one, is far superior than the D Beams of the other Roland machines, like Fantoms, V Synths, grooveboxes, etc. This one has three lights, one for each hand, and a middle one that is a small long tube of infrared light that can sense not only vertical both horizontal movements of the hands.

So, you can program 2 parameters of any effect (100% all parameters in the effects algorythms are selectable for this purpose) and manipulate them in a huge range (120 centimeters each one) and intersect both parameters. This is truly interesting when you assign pitch at left, formant at right. There are hundreds of parameters that can be asssigned to this great D Beam.

The SP808 is an underrated sampler. I barely read good things of it. And it's better in this way, it keeps the demand short, low price, and not too much users loving it as much as I do.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:I've always heard good thing about the A-series, mainly on here, and it seems like of the two, it would be a little more straight forward to use, especially when one is using a PC primarily?
Yeah, it's definitely straightforward if you're using the free PC editor for it, bZone: http://www.bzone.be/screenshots.php

I have the lowly A-3000. It's a pretty sweet sampler, but I use it as much if not more as an effects processor.

If you do decide to go for one, make sure to also check out the CF card drives (you can get internal ones, or swap out the floppy drive) that they sell here: http://www.scsiforsamplers.com/ Going to pick one up myself if I can manage to sell a few things.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:30 pm

"Portamento on the Yamaha A5000 can either be time- or rate-based."
Akai 3200XL can do this too

"There are 6 effects blocks on the Yamaha A5000 that can be set up in a mixture of parallel and/or serial configurations. They can also be used on live audio input."
Akai S-3200XL can also do this but has 4x FX Blocks..albeit they are s**t sounding FX ;-)

"You can detune, dephase, and stereo-ize a mono sample on the Yamaha A5000"
Can't you basicaly do this on any decent sampler?

"The Yamaha A5000 features a band of parametric EQ in the filter section"
Akai's 3200XL also can do this

"The Yamaha A5000 allows you to adjust gain at the filter stage to allow for control of would-be clipping when using high resonance settings or pushed para EQ"
3200XL again has the same feature

I wouldn't really say any of those things are unique features though...

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:37 pm

The Yamaha A-3000 v2 had a really cool feature where you would play audio into it i.e. a bunch of one shot sounds and it would split them for you and put them all in a keygroup assigned to all the correct keys! Mega time saver

aeon

Post by aeon » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:37 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:"Portamento on the Yamaha A5000 can either be time- or rate-based."
Akai 3200XL can do this too

"There are 6 effects blocks on the Yamaha A5000 that can be set up in a mixture of parallel and/or serial configurations. They can also be used on live audio input."
Akai S-3200XL can also do this but has 4x FX Blocks..albeit they are s**t sounding FX ;-)

"You can detune, dephase, and stereo-ize a mono sample on the Yamaha A5000"
Can't you basicaly do this on any decent sampler?

"The Yamaha A5000 features a band of parametric EQ in the filter section"
Akai's 3200XL also can do this

"The Yamaha A5000 allows you to adjust gain at the filter stage to allow for control of would-be clipping when using high resonance settings or pushed para EQ"
3200XL again has the same feature

I wouldn't really say any of those things are unique features though...
I agree - I would call them unusual, as per the thread title.

As it concerns the "detune, dephase, and stereo-ize," yea, this can be done on most any sampler. The reason I mentioned it is because it is a parametric feature of the engine that occurs in real-time.

cheers,
Ian

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:23 am

Roland S760 - sampling pre-trigger: can sample continuously until you press stop (and then you get the most recently sound, as far as memory allows) or you can set a trigger threshold and then keep the little bit of attack before that.
also, analog feel parameter

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:02 pm

portland wrote:Roland S760 - analog feel parameter
Oops, I forgot all about that. Just as it is on the JD-990 and others, it can go a long way to bring short looped samples to life as it concerns overall timbre. That, combined with the lovely S-7xx filter, makes for one heck of a "polysynth" when needed.

cheers,
Ian

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:04 pm

colmon wrote:thinking of stuff like transform multiply in the emu samplers (still not really sure what this sounds like)

we can also use this thread to discuss weird bugs like the infamous loop-point glitch error in the ensoniq eps/asr series
Not just the loop point glitch (where it plays random stuff from the memory), but the Ensoniq's ability to modulate loop points and Transwaves has got to be pretty unique. I don't know any other hardware samplers which have it, maybe the PPG with the Waveterm could arguably be classed as the same sort of thing.

Ensoniq's resampling with effects was unique for years but seems a bit more common now. Even the humble Electribe ES1 can do a good job of that. DAWs and VST effects have rendered it less of a draw too.

Another Ensoniq feature I really like and is pretty unique is the 'synthesised loop' function, a crossfade loop type that mashes the whole sample up into an interesting grungy tone.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:05 pm

rockmanrock wrote:
colmon wrote:Not just the loop point glitch (where it plays random stuff from the memory), but the Ensoniq's ability to modulate loop points and Transwaves has got to be pretty unique.
You can do this on the Elektron MD UW (producing some wierd side-effects in the process, including reversing thge sample, which you wouldn't be able to do internally otherwise)
Do you even post on vse bro?

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:27 pm

rockmanrock wrote:Another Ensoniq feature I really like and is pretty unique is the 'synthesised loop' function, a crossfade loop type that mashes the whole sample up into an interesting grungy tone.
Yeah I tried that on the EPS, it created some very cool material, but it took forever and the sonic details were so frustratingly muffled (probably better on an ASR).
aeon wrote:That, combined with the lovely S-7xx filter, makes for one heck of a "polysynth" when needed.
yeah, it's not for "sound mangling", but it sounds like $$$$$

Userfriend

Post by Userfriend » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:22 pm

SCI Prophet 3000 had quite extensive modulation routings, like modulating filter resonance with LFO.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:36 am

Surely any sampler with a resonant filter can do that? Definitely not unique anyway.
cartesia wrote:yeah a few have that option.. its just usually too c**p to bother using
Been using it recently, it's actually cool. Sounds like BOC use it occasionally also.

Userfriend

Post by Userfriend » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:05 am

madtheory wrote:Surely any sampler with a resonant filter can do that? Definitely not unique anyway.
It´s in this case resonance solely, or cutoff solely or both. I´ve never seen that on any other 80´s sampler or synth.

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:46 am

aren't the Ensoniq samplers also capable of sampling/loading whilst playing? any other samplers able to this?

thanks for the excellent posts all round, guys