S-330 sloppy timing via MIDI

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

S-330 sloppy timing via MIDI

Post by D-Collector » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Up until now I have only sequenced the S-330 via it's own sequencer, in which everything is fine and the timing is solid. But today I hooked it up with the MPC2000 and to my disappointment the 330 seems to be very sluggish over MIDI when using more than 1-2 channels, randomly skipping notes, halting every now and then -that sort of annoyance. And it has nothing to do with voice allocation. I know how to use it and I am not near the limit.

Can anyone confirm that the 330 (or 550) has a timing issues and problems over MIDI? I mean, everything else is totally fine. Nothing wrong with the MPC either. I have heard the U-220 had similar troubles when using many MIDI channels at once.

I had hoped to be able to use the 330 as companion to the 2000, but if it can't be relied on for more than a couple of channels over MIDI I am a little sad. I have just finished sampling a bunch of nice sounds, building a little library.

RyanC

Re: S-330 sloppy timing via MIDI

Post by RyanC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:20 am

Have you tried testing playback while having the TVFs turned off for each tone in the Tone PRM page? I ask this because Roland mentions in the manual of the S-750 (different technology, of course), in reference to the TVF Filter Mode:
Note: If you are not using the filters on a Partial then it is best to leave this Parameter Off (rather than disable them in some other way), because the S-750 responds slightly faster when you do this.
Maybe there is a similar case with Roland's earlier samplers? A bit of a pain if indeed this was the reason, but it might be better than nothing.

I wish I could offer more, but I only just recently got an S-550 and have yet to build a library or do any sequencing with it.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:39 am

No I haven't tried that. It might of course be a strain on the processor during multitimbral MIDI use, but why did they implement it if the machine could not handle it? And it works fine with the internal sequencer, which leads me to believe it is a midi problem. But I'll be testing it today anyway as I use TVF on a lot of my patches. Thanks for the tip!

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:31 pm

I've wondered ... does the S-50 have bad midi timing as well?

Got one here broken,.. getting ready to fix. Wanna know because I might just wanna get a S-550 instead.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:25 pm

The 550 is more related to the 330 than the 50. I really don't know what this is about, but I still suspect these modules are not very good for lots of busy MIDI channels. As I said, I have read and heard the other breeds like the U-110 and 220 have the same issues.

Oh well, it's rock solid with the Director-S sequencer and I like using that. Maybe they felt forced to release that software because MIDI triggering was crappy? :lol:

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:12 pm

hahaha,,, aww man, that's the answer I didn't wanna hear.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:22 pm

Don't take it as fact though. Here is a demo of the 550 sequenced via MIDI from FL studio and the timing is fine! I don't know what was causing the problems I had, maybe it was some setting in the MPC. I must check it again.

RyanC

Post by RyanC » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:26 am

D-Collector wrote:Don't take it as fact though. Here is a demo of the 550 sequenced via MIDI from FL studio and the timing is fine! I don't know what was causing the problems I had, maybe it was some setting in the MPC. I must check it again.
I'm a bit tardy with this reply, but were you able to figure out if it was indeed the MPC causing the timing problems and not the S-330? A couple weeks ago I ran a test with my S-550 sequenced from an ESQ1 with purposely dense note triggering (much moreso than the above demo), and the timing was solid until I increased the tempo to ~220bpm. At that point, I began to hear the S-550 responding similarly to the way you described the S-330 behaving in the original post.

Oh, have you tried recording into Director-S from the MPC and other sequencers? Perhaps the recorded data could indicate how it's receiving the midi commands when the notes are skipped?

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:41 am

No I haven't gotten around to that, and it might be a little difficult now as I have sold the MPC.