ASR X Pro

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
computron
Band: Computron

ASR X Pro

Post by computron » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:36 pm

I am wondering whats this deal with this box is it a good sampler or is it just a bug ridden box? I know the sequencer sucks but does it work well with another midi sequencer to trigger the samples in the proper time or is there issues? I use the mpc 1000,5000,rm1x,and rs7000 as sequencers depending on what I am doing .The thought came to me maybe the ASR X Pro might be another good sampler peice to add just to use its sampler as my other gears sequence triggers it ?
Living the Electro Life

Flux302

Re: ASR X Pro

Post by Flux302 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:45 pm

yeah I would say if you get it for a deal, (<$300) I would grab one as it has some great features. I love the sample play modes. the drum pads are hard and not fun to play on but that is easily overcome by midi ;) the sequencer is not Horrible but also not good and can have issues at higher bpm. but for hip hop it's usually tight enough. I've had 3 of these boxes at various times. I would def recomend the red pro model. but I would say it's sound and sample play modes and fx are very fun.

Milhouse
Gear: Korg ESX-1,Arp Odyssey,Roland TR 505, Roland TR 707, Roland Juno 106,Roland Sh-32, Stylophone, Casio Cz 101, Ensoniq ASR-X Pro
Yamaha TG-33

Post by Milhouse » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:02 pm

I have an x-pro. The sequencer was driving me insane cause it would lag. I have it hooked up to my MC-808 and works well just having the samples triggered from the 808. It has some great features and some cool FX. If you get a model that has the expansion cards and the 8-x outputs you have lots of fun.

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:43 pm

If you're not using the sequencer, why not use ASR-10 instead of X? I'm actually asking; I've never had either machine so I don't know.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:40 am

or the rack ASR?

Milhouse
Gear: Korg ESX-1,Arp Odyssey,Roland TR 505, Roland TR 707, Roland Juno 106,Roland Sh-32, Stylophone, Casio Cz 101, Ensoniq ASR-X Pro
Yamaha TG-33

Post by Milhouse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 pm

speak_onion wrote:If you're not using the sequencer, why not use ASR-10 instead of X? I'm actually asking; I've never had either machine so I don't know.

$$$ is basically it. I just happened to stumble apon on in my city for cheap. I fixed it up and started using it but the sequencer lag was just really really annoying. I would like to use the an ASR-10 but I just use the X for now. It does have some great sounds in it so its a hard machine to give up.

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:35 am

Milhouse wrote:
speak_onion wrote:If you're not using the sequencer, why not use ASR-10 instead of X? I'm actually asking; I've never had either machine so I don't know.

$$$ is basically it. I just happened to stumble apon on in my city for cheap.
same here found one pretty cheap but didnt take a chance .I dont know about the asr other rack units or it even they have the same type of sampler as the asr x pro.is the sampler alike in these racks as in the asr x pro?
Living the Electro Life

djsparkle7

Post by djsparkle7 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:57 am

i have every piece of gear emu and ensoniq has ever made.....it is a nice red beast..i also use the asr 10 board and rack as welll as the asr-x and asr x pro..you get out of it what u want..its not an mpc as far as sequencers go..but its cool for what it is, i mostly use it as a sound module controlled by a yamaha sy-35 instead of tapping the pads

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon May 23, 2011 6:00 am

been thinking of picking one of these up as a cheaper method to scratch my ASR-10 itch (thanks to kanye west these are increasingly difficult to find a decent deal on) (also i have limited space even for the ASR-10 rack -- a table top instrument would be perfect for my setup)

after comparing the manuals for the two i think there's a few differences in functionality that let the asr-x down somewhat:

--asr-x doesn't support full loop-point modulation
--asr-x doesn't support chromatic playback (ie pitching a sample across a keyboard)
--asr-x doesn't support bi-directional looping or crossfading
--asr-x doesn't support transwaves (except for w/ third party software)

can any users confirm that this is the case?

i feel like this thing would be perfect for me if it wasn't for those few functional differences. i wanna use it for experimental sound design w/ the built in fx and modulation matrix. the sequencer wouldn't really get much use, but as i said it's perfect for me size wise

speak_onion
Gear: Octatrack, G2 Engine
Band: Speak Onion

Post by speak_onion » Mon May 23, 2011 8:34 pm

colmon wrote:i wanna use it for experimental sound design w/ the built in fx and modulation matrix.
Get an E4 Ultra.

colmon

Post by colmon » Tue May 24, 2011 3:59 am

i specifically want to use the asr-10 mod matrix -- loop position mod especially. the Emu is way too huge for me at the moment

Biepang
Gear: MPC 3000, S3000XL, E5000 Ultra, SE-1, TX16W, TX81Z, TX802, AX60, DP/4, SH-101, DX11
Band: Biepang

Post by Biepang » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:20 am

I bought an ASR-X Pro about a year ago thinking it would be a worthy & much cheaper alternative to paying out big bucks for an MPC3000. I was DEAD WRONG. It was honestly the worst gear purchase/mistake I have ever made and I ended up selling it 2 months later along with some other gear to buy an MPC3000 - a smart move for sure. I own an ASR-10 as well, and let me tell you the workflow on the ASR-X is nothing like using an ASR-10. The two line LCD screen on the ASR-X will have you wanting to throw the machine out a window after scrolling through every function and parameter to get to the one you want to edit. There are loads more annoyances to the ASR-X that I can't quite recall at the moment. The sound of the ASR-X is pretty sterile...no different than your computer. The ASR-10 on the other hand, actually adds a bit of warmth and character to whatever you sample, especially when you use the "Convert Sample Rate" function - a feature the ASR-X Pro DOES NOT have. If you plan on using the machine for any serious sound design work, do yourself a favor and hold out 'til you get the cash for an ASR-10. Or even better, download the E-mu EOS manual and read it front to back, study it, learn it and then buy yourself an E5000 or E6400 for a good price. Trust me!

GameChanger
Gear: MPC60

Post by GameChanger » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Biepang wrote:I bought an ASR-X Pro about a year ago thinking it would be a worthy & much cheaper alternative to paying out big bucks for an MPC3000. I was DEAD WRONG. It was honestly the worst gear purchase/mistake I have ever made and I ended up selling it 2 months later along with some other gear to buy an MPC3000 - a smart move for sure. I own an ASR-10 as well, and let me tell you the workflow on the ASR-X is nothing like using an ASR-10. The two line LCD screen on the ASR-X will have you wanting to throw the machine out a window after scrolling through every function and parameter to get to the one you want to edit. There are loads more annoyances to the ASR-X that I can't quite recall at the moment. The sound of the ASR-X is pretty sterile...no different than your computer. The ASR-10 on the other hand, actually adds a bit of warmth and character to whatever you sample, especially when you use the "Convert Sample Rate" function - a feature the ASR-X Pro DOES NOT have. If you plan on using the machine for any serious sound design work, do yourself a favor and hold out 'til you get the cash for an ASR-10. Or even better, download the E-mu EOS manual and read it front to back, study it, learn it and then buy yourself an E5000 or E6400 for a good price. Trust me!
Although I agree with you that the ASR-10 is better, more stable, and less hassle to use. I have to disagree about the sound. There is nothing sterile about the ASRX Pro's sound, it sounds just like an ASR. I think most people will vouch for that. It sounds great to me. Also, it does do chromatic sampling, you just have to tell the machine you want to do it.

The ASRX gets some flack, and some of it rightfully so. Not the stablist sequencer, encoders go bad, and some bugs, but generally it pretty incredible for what it does. Loads of features, great effects, super easy sampling, and the all important awesome sound. Spend some time with it, and the pros definitely outweigh the cons. They are going for cheap now too, so its really a great deal IMO.